Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:48 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Boat fisherman

I thought catching fish at night moved in shore and in the day stayed way out in the deeper water. Maybe I am wrong. Also fishing from a boat at night sounds a trifle bit scary if you are not very familiar with the bigger boat traffic and of course the shore line especially rocks.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:53 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Well, Rich, that may be the case for many shore fishers but competent night guys function in the night as though it were day. I know that if I were a boat guy,( pretend I just had a lobotomy), I would have no trouble fishing and boating at night. I don't even think about that stuff. I walk in the woods in the dark, I walk in the jetties and rock shores in the dark. To me, and I never thought about until now, darkness is cover not a source of danger. I am not afraid of the dark. In fact, anyone, or any thing who comes at me in the dark would be dead before they hit the ground. The result of my being so ascared is that I would not take any chances.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:25 PM
SS/Veteran

We finally had a good night last night. Got to say it is easier on the boat. Net bunker, drive to rockpile. Keep driving until fish are marked. Chum hard (one net pull we had over 100 bunker) and wait. We caugt 15 or so up to 30 pounds. My old man had a great time.

Merlin, the only thing that scares me is the damn oyster stakes....hiting one doing 38-40 is not something I want to do!
Old 07-05-2015, 11:48 AM

Jon, you fly at up to 40 mph at night ducking hazards without a PFD?
Old 07-06-2015, 12:38 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Jon, you fly at up to 40 mph at night ducking hazards without a PFD?
I use my pfd when I'm underway...if I am running on a previous track line from GPS and know its safe I most certaily go 35-40.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:21 PM
SS/Veteran

Wink Re: Boat fisherman

I'm no experiencing the need to be mechanically inclined to keep my craft running well! Thankfully I am, but it makes me long for the simplicity of surfcasting!
Old 07-11-2015, 07:04 AM

Moderation, Jon. Its okay to go fishing, surf or boat, but your priorities should be the family and relationship with your wife and a productive job which will provide for them. If you lose her all else will go right down the drain and fishing will be the last thing but by then it can be too late. Never forget, and I want this tattooed on your butt, half of all marraiges fail and all of them are fishermen.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:40 AM
SS/Veteran

I hear you loud and clear Frank and always pay attention to that. Luckily, I am more skilled at taking care of business at home while maintianing a high level of fishing. The only thing I sacrafice these days is some sleep. I've been in the boat more this season and frequent the canal less to allow for more time with my girls. Averi was driving the boat in circles on Saturday!

Saturday night my brother and father joined myself and friend Ed. Nice taking family with me.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:50 AM

You know this, Jon, but for others: often all there is is boat fishing once the Canal is off the list. Surf fishing, as we once knew it, is drying up. Maybe the next thing is for the government to find a way to post the ocean.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:06 PM
SS/Veteran

Read a meaning into this story of a fishing day. My friend who is a Union Electrician went on a fishing trip for a day organized by his company. Nine boats with six fisherman aboard each boat out of New London. Every Captain went to his favorite spot trying to score kudos against his competitors. Weather was overcast with sleepy calm sea wind. All day they fished and at the end of the day there was one keeper taken with some shorts and blues.

Does this mean just a bad day? or are the fish just not as plentiful as yesterdays?.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:46 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
You know this, Jon, but for others: often all there is is boat fishing once the Canal is off the list. Surf fishing, as we once knew it, is drying up. Maybe the next thing is for the government to find a way to post the ocean.
Ya know Frank I see the same issues in boat fishing though. If I don't want to tow for 2 hours I am forced to launch in places where I wished I was armed. We launch in Bridgeport a lot because they have 2 public launches. Stratford requires a 125 dollar annual fee, Greenwhich forget about it. New Haven is ok. All the best launches are private. They make it as difficult to access the water as possible...
Old 07-14-2015, 01:19 PM

I really lack experience in boat launching protocols but I do know that in RI they have launching sites that are free with a suitable parking lot. After a night of fishing we often see them lined up in the pre-dawn. I always feel sorry for them -- fricken sun screen, sunstroke, motion sickness, storm clouds on the horizon, tapping on their fish finders. I would prefer a sister in a whorehouse than a brother in a boat.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:35 PM

I fish by boat fairly often - and YES we fish at night is striper fishing.

Do not be a hater
Old 07-14-2015, 02:04 PM

The name of this site is stripersurf.com and I am the author of eight books on surfcasting. I have been kidding people here for 16 years about boat fishing. Shore fishing is our reason to be; it is my schict and what I am famous for. Get used to it.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurbet View Post
Hi Frank

I would like to know why you show so much disdain and animosity toward boat fisherman,you went as far as to call it cheating. I get the impression your not kidding.

"catch'em up"
Sherwood
Try the above.