Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:11 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Boat fisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
This is a surfcasting site and I am a surfcasting writer. Of course, and you are suppose to understand that here, it is an unkind generalization which tends to paint all boatmen with the same brush. Try to understand the differences between fishing the beach and boat fishing which I am sure you are well acquinted. In any given year there will be 10 fish over 50 pounds caught on the striper coast for each one in the striper surf. This has held true the entire time such fish have been counted. You are supposed to understand, as the rest of us do, that the generalization has exceptions, like yourself, Jason Colby, Ray Jobin and many more. Keep in mind as well that people fishing in boats get there a lot sooner than those of us who walk the beaches.

I have been fishing for bass for over 60 years. Like you, I have seen a lot of things re behaviour, sentiment, failure, pride and resourcefullness. All my beach life I have watched the dismal failure of surfcasters who out of frustration acquired a boat and once clear of the shore, became high-liners. They couldn't get the clapp in a Panama whorehouse when they were on the beach but now that they are on their boat bailing more stripers than most surfmen could ever imagine, they strut. It is a phenom that I have witnessed all my life. There are things in the world that have their place. And this is stripersurf.com and it would be inappropriate for us to advocate boat fishing for stripers, though I think we have gone out of our way to welcome those among us who make their own choices. That boat fishing is cheating was voiced first by prominent surfman and author Alberto Knie, more in the spirit of humor than any true hostility. And in that same spirit I supported and laughed about it. We do not plan to change.
Or this
Old 07-14-2015, 04:45 PM

I don't think you can label it cheating per say. Cheating implies there's a a level board and some guy goes to the bathroom to use a computer to win a chess match. If you're striper fishing in a boat I always just assumed you had some sort of disability: out of shape, dim-witted, lazy, afraid of the dark or all of the above. Who given the choice would opt for the lesser form of a given discipline. What kind of guy struts around a bowling alley who has the bumpers on?
Old 07-14-2015, 04:55 PM

Guys, including Ahab. Stop taking this subject so seriously. This anti-boat thing is just a friendly fun jab that is consistent with what we do here. Relax!!!!! I don't care what people do. I hate having to explain what is largely an identity schict. The cheating thing is part of the show.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:14 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Guys, including Ahab. Stop taking this subject so seriously. This anti-boat thing is just a friendly fun jab that is consistent with what we do here. Relax!!!!! I don't care what people do. I hate having to explain what is largely an identity schict. The cheating thing is part of the show.
Damn and I was about to trade my custom rainshadows for a new fishfinder....
Old 07-14-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:

Not taking it too seriously - just thought I would toss in a jab myself that is all.

I like the colorful language it brings out in return.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:02 PM

Contempt for boat fishing is an old time striper fishing custom that I believe has largely died out in this more modern era. Moreover, its only stripers and not in the other forms of fishing -- wire lining for landlocks and trout for instance. There are many situations where you have to use a boat.

I have a strong shore fishing ethos because I could not take a woman and a load of kids into ocean fishing with a boat; I had to fish the shore. People who read my books know that I was relegated to the shore and when I first started ocean fishing we had no money for boats and motors. We could barely afford a buggy and even that was a rejected bread truck van. The circumstances surrounding my development are hugely related to the economics of being a young family with no money. Once I became competent in surf fishing, and began writing about it, it became my identity. I guess few people really understand that. I don't want to hawk my books because that is cheap behavior but reading my books, especially the first one, Twenty Years, you would know all that and my behavior here would fall into place, require less explanation. I hate doing this "This is your life" stuff.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:09 PM
SS/Veteran

I woke up this am and walked to my car to go to work. My boat was trimming the motor down all night due to a bad relay. Mechanic hat on...damn boats. I never broke down standing in the surf!
Old 07-16-2015, 10:41 AM

Simplicity is a real plus in the outdoor pursuits. I know that when we duck hunted packing and boat preparation often caused us to do something else. The trailer, the decoys, new decoy lines, waders, PFDs. Hypothermia kills a lot of duck hunters. It was just too much stuff. Bird hunting you only took a shotgun and a box of shells and you were off. Same with deer; just grab the gun. I suppose, howevr, now that I think about it, a buggy could be heavily oriented to gear packing. These days I put all the stuff in the buggy the night before so when we get up we just get in the buggy and drive.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:11 AM
SS/Veteran

I agree completely. Ill have the boat fixed today but im leaving it in the driveway this weekend.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:54 PM

One can overdo the simplicity thing. I knew a guy who went muzzleloader deer hunting with no spare loads saying that he only needed the one that was loaded in the barrel. Never, ever do that. A second bullet and charge weighs a quarter ounce; I carry ten. I even ran out once.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:38 PM
SS/Veteran

Maybe he is into hand to hoof combat if the one shot does not work. There are a lot of stupid people out there that need culling or at least not to breed.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:22 PM

Stupid people? Today my wife asked a high school senior what area she was going to major in at college and she said, "Massachusetts or New Hampshire."
Old 07-25-2016, 04:47 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
If you really want to kick butt, you fish from a boat at night. The list of true high-liners I have known -- like Ray Jobin, Jack Townsend -- to name only two, only rarely fished from their boats in the daytime. Oh, let's add the Cuttyhunk charter skippers of back in the day.
Haven't gone back through this entire thread, but there was an interesting article in the latest "On The Water" magazine regarding Old time "Car Top" boat fishing... and saw this picture I thought you might either have in, or remember from, your files:
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2016, 04:58 PM

I covered Kay and Rosa in "Trophy Striper" years before that publication. I knew both of those girls even fished for steelhead in upstate NY with her son, David Townsend. It is still a great shot. Sad that it appeared where it did. BTW, no 16 foot boat is a car top boat.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:54 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

I remember an article and/or discussion here about New Jersey's "Mosquito Fleet" (might have been in the Asbury Park Press, which used to have GREAT coverage of saltwater fishing back in the day)

In fact, there are remnants of "boat launches" along several ocean front shore towns that clearly are no longer used. Apparently whether "car top" or small trailer boats, these were small wooden or metal outboard boats used to get out to the schools hanging off shore. I can only imagine how "exciting" launching or landing those can be in certain surf situations.

Last edited by RobS : 07-26-2016 at 11:25 AM. Reason: spelling