Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:25 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: This was a Shock!

I know that few members here, if any, have ever fished for Atlantic salmon. Because of that there is no separation in their minds between Pacific salmon, which die after spawning, and Atlantics who do not. The tendency to refer to both as "salmon" is understandable but traditions of the two as to how they are fished are vastly different. In the world's Atlantic salmon rivers they would castrate anyone who lifted fish the way it is done in Pacific, and/or Pulaski Pacific salmon. These are not my sentiments. Rather, it is the way it is, the way it has been since the advent of sport fishing, I merely report here the way that it is; I don't rule on it, nor advocate policy. None of what salmon fishermen do -- Pacific or Atlantic -- has ever been influenced by me in any way.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Does anyone have any idea what subspecies/race of striper these are in Canada? Are these migrators from the states? If so, Hudson or Maryland or both? There is also the explosion of St Lawrence striper populations that could be overrunning the Maritimes. The St Lawrence once had a thriving population which declined and lately has been thought to be in recovery. Might be them.
http://asf.ca/news-from-the-regions.html

"DFO’s latest management changes for the recreational striped bass fishery are incremental. Striped bass are a native species in the southern Gulf and have co-evolved with other native species like Atlantic salmon. Their rebound is an epic success story on its own, and clearly DFO doesn’t want to repeat mistakes of the past, when overharvesting by commercial fisheries and as bycatch helped drive the population to the brink."
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2018, 12:14 PM
SS/Veteran

Late 60s, early 1970s there was an article in SWS about the "blue nose stripers" in Nova Scotia. I remember the angler having a camper-on-pickup truck, "Team Daignault" style!
Old 07-22-2018, 10:42 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALMONMEISTER View Post
Late 60s, early 1970s there was an article in SWS about the "blue nose stripers" in Nova Scotia. I remember the angler having a camper-on-pickup truck, "Team Daignault" style!
Around that time the Canadian Government was sponsoring trips through the MBBA in an effort to promote interest in striper fishing there. A lot of Beach Buggy Association members went but they could not find any stripers. I knew this because I was intimate with guys who went and said they would never go back. The promotional program fizzled after that. I had no interest because I was making too much money with U.S. stripers.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:06 AM
SS/Veteran

It's interesting that the Government wants to manage stripers more favorably to compensate for Atlantic salmon losses. In the past stripers apparently were viewed with disdain. No doubt they feel that if they must lose salmon they would at least have stripers. Keep in mind that Greenland high seas fishery does not tap into stripers like they do salmon.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:55 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=fDRIhZqP7pU

Bar Ray? Barachois Bonaventure - 25 ao?t 2018

Wow

How many 1000 is that?

How big are they?

What are they doing there and why?

The Bonaventure is one of the most pristine salmon rivers in the world. I have fished the next river to the west. The rivers there are stunning. I never expected bass there like this.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:42 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...mmer-1.4818028

From N.S. to N.L., ocean temperatures above average this summer

'It's getting up to the largest anomalies that we've seen,' DFO research scientist says
'Regime shift' may be underway

I saw on facebook that bonito were caught last month in Sydney, NS 100 miles from Newfoundland.!!!
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...mmer-1.4818028

From N.S. to N.L., ocean temperatures above average this summer

'It's getting up to the largest anomalies that we've seen,' DFO research scientist says
'Regime shift' may be underway

I saw on facebook that bonito were caught last month in Sydney, NS 100 miles from Newfoundland.!!!
"CTV News: Gulf of St. Lawrence may soon be unable to support marine life: study.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/gulf...tudy-1.4097318

THIS IS NOT GOOD NEWS ."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0917111600.htm

"The Gulf of St. Lawrence has warmed and lost oxygen faster than almost anywhere else in the global oceans.

large-scale climate change already is causing oxygen levels to drop in the deeper parts of this waterway.

"The area south of Newfoundland is one of the best-sampled regions in the ocean,"

"The new study uses output from NOAA's Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory model, a high-resolution computer model that simulates the world's oceans with a data point every 8 kilometers (5 miles). This simulation took nine months to run using 10,000 computational nodes -- huge, even by the standards of global climate models."

Nope.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:10 PM
SS/Veteran

This is all interesting, Walter. Sensational. However, it gets me to wondering if Canadian press is not like ours in that it is often riddled with fake news. I know that here in the states the press has lost all credibility where they will do anything to create copy usually overstating every situation they cover. With such similar cultures -- Canada and U.S. -- might it follow that it is as bad in your Maritimes as it is in our woods?

At any rate keep on this story because your posts are good for the site.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:51 PM

I saw the new ASJ mag with an article on bass.

http://asf.ca/atlantic-salmon-journal.html

24 Out of Balance
Striped bass have made a remarkable comeback, but at what cost to Atlantic salmon?
By Karen Pinchin

They claimed smolts were down to 10 % survival and bass were 60 miles up the Miramichi river all summer. There was more I don't remember. The salmon guys were freaking out.

An earlier summary
https://www.asf.ca/help-needed-as-pr...-explodes.html
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2018, 10:46 AM
SS/Veteran

The striper Gennie is out of the bottle now. Linesides now control the salmon rivers and it is going to take years to kill enough stripers, and millions to produce enough salmon smolts to restore Maratime (sp) salmon runs. The problem did not develop overnight and its solutions -- assuming there are any -- will not deal with it overnight either.

Thanks, Walter.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:02 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ichi-1.4897719

First striped bass fishery in 20 years makes a splash
Facebook
Twitter
Reddit
LinkedIn
Eel Ground First Nation began fishing commercially in early October
Hadeel Ibrahim ? CBC News ? Posted: Nov 12, 2018 6:00 AM AT | Last Updated: November 12

Each bass caught is measured and tagged with details, including the name of the person who caught it. (Submitted)
The first Canadian striped bass fishery in 20 years is making a splash in the U.S. and across Canada.

Eel Ground First Nation obtained a commercial fishery licence this year, marking the first time the Department of Fisheries and Oceans has allowed the fishery since striped bass were labelled endangered in 1996.

Joseph Nagle, purchasing and sales manager at Boston wholesaler John Nagle Co., says the first shipment of 1,800 pounds sold out on the first day.

"It was quite successful in terms of just the initial interest and the quality of the fish," he said. "It flew out the door, if you will.

"People were just genuinely interested when we mentioned to customers we have striped bass in Canada ? most people haven't heard of that before."

Eel Ground First Nation fishers is using trap nets to catch its quota of 25,000 fish. (Submitted)
He said people also enjoyed the story of where the fish came from ? the Miramichi River, where they've been traditional food for Indigenous people for a long time.

"We always like to sell out that fast," Nagle said. "The next day, people were already looking for that stuff. Right out of the gate, I'd say people appreciate the quality. They are really interested in the story of the fish. There's a lot of people with Canadian ancestry around New England, people from New Brunswick or Nova Scotia lineage."

Nagle also said striped bass is a well-known fish in the area, but the "novelty" of Canadian striped bass set it apart.

John Nagle Co. sells to restaurants and grocery stores such as Whole Foods.

In the 1990s, the striped bass population in the Miramichi River declined to about 5,000, but in the last 10 years the population has boomed. Some people estimate there are a million fish in the river.

Eel Ground First Nation can catch 25,000 striped bass this fall.

Optimistic First Nation
Chief George Ginnish of Eel Ground said the crew of one boat and four or five fishers started the catch in early October using trap nets.

"We're excited," he said. "The number have actually been increasing in the last couple of weeks ? It's our first kick at it and we expect that spring fishery would be much better, much larger."

Eel Ground First Nation chief George Ginnish says the community has been pushing for a striped bass commercial fishery for almost 10 years. (Hadeel Ibrahim/CBC)
He said it's difficult to estimate exactly how much revenue the First Nation is receiving from the fishery, but it is selling the fish for $4 a pound. Some days fishermen catch 1,200 pounds, other days about 300 pounds, he said.

The Fisheries Department stipulates that striped bass caught commercially must be 19 to 25 inches long (about 48 to 63 centimetres). Other sizes, up to 200 fish, can go to communal freezers for members of the community.

Meet the people of Eel Ground First Nation who are using food to reclaim culture
Ginnish said the fishery has been going well, but the weather can always change.

"If it gets really cold and it starts to ice up, then we've got to take our trap out and it's done for this year."

A sustainable story
Hana Nelson, owner of Afishionado Fishmongers, who's buying and distributing the striped bass from Eel Ground, said the fish is also being sold in Toronto, Montreal, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.

Nelson said product reception has been great.

First striped bass commercial fishery in 20 years goes ahead on Miramichi
"It's fully traceable back to where it's from," he said of the fish. "And it's a great story of the recovery of striped bass in the Miramichi.

"More and more the seafood world is catching up to the terrestrial world of agriculture because people want to have more connection to their food and the people behind their food."
Old 11-17-2018, 03:34 PM
SS/Veteran

Interesting collection of thoughts. Are these stripers born in the region or do they come from the states? Other-words, what is their origin?