Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:42 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: the pats

Yuz can talk about ball pressures as being of significance but that pressure issue is a smoke screen for teams losing a football game. While I enjoy football I can't get excited about itsy-bitsy side issues like ball pressure. Teams were defeated by the best quarterback and best coach in the history of the game not the pressure of inflated footballs.

What kills me here is that the ONE thing Cheatachusetts has that is not an embarrassment is its football team and people want to discredit that distinction.

More Bay State leadership:
Crooked cops
Clergy abuse of children
Gun crimes second only to Chicago
Leader in legalization of weed
Old 10-22-2018, 10:13 AM
SS/Veteran

Yesterday's Chicago game was won by that 4th quarter blocked punt. Now that its over we are told the Pats practiced punt blocking all week with a hastily put together special team. Pats don't just play football, they think and plan. Also, ever notice how the Pats utilize clock management?
Old 10-22-2018, 11:59 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Yesterday's Chicago game was won by that 4th quarter blocked punt. Now that its over we are told the Pats practiced punt blocking all week with a hastily put together special team. Pats don't just play football, they think and plan. Also, ever notice how the Pats utilize clock management?
There was an interesting article last week in The Washington Post, Frank -- your favorite paper -- about how in terms of coaching legacy, Andy Reid has had a WAY bigger impact on the modern NFL than Bill Belichick. Many of Andy Reid's assistants have gone on to have many, largely successful jobs as head coaches, including one (Doug Pedersen of the Eagles) who beat Belichick in the Super Bowl last year. The thrust of the article was that while Belichick has inarguably been the most successful modern NFL coach, Reid has been the most influential.

Here was one interesting angle in the story: while Reid's assistants have been largely successful when moving on to head-coaching gigs, Belichick's have been, almost without exception, dismal failures. The most recent example is Matt Patricia, who has been at best mediocre with the Detroit Lions, though this is his first year, and it's too early to judge.

What's the deal with this? I got no clue. But it's fun to think about it.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:27 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

The deal is with not having the same "system" (hint hint wink wink) that BB has in place up in Bahston... as well as not having the QB (more legitimate reason).

Andy's impact on the NFL is unquestionably substantial. His only problem is with the playoffs

Taylor Swift - PARODY - We Are Never Ever Gonna Win With Andy

Old 10-22-2018, 07:28 PM
SS/Veteran

Andy Reid has outcoached Belichick several times only to mismanage the clock at the last second and lose the game.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:08 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoller View Post
Andy Reid has outcoached Belichick several times only to mismanage the clock at the last second and lose the game.
Andrew, are you saying that managing or mismanaging the clock is not football? Are you seeking to trivialize the importance of affiliiated skills in coaching? WOw, you guys, as much as I love yuz, seek any excuse to explain your piss-poor football teams. Hey, while your wringing your hands over continued Patriots management of its team check your shorts. Tomorrow, when I am sober up from these contaminated, poisonous cherries placed in my Manhattans. I will send a shot across the bow of you Patriots criticisers. Stay tuned because if yuz don't come I will be disappointed.

(Andrew I lost you once so stay in the game. I like guys like you.)
Old 10-22-2018, 10:51 PM
SS/Veteran

Frank I'm a big Pats fan and Belichick is the best coach of all time. Andy Reid just has a fatal flaw in clock management. He lost the '04 superbowl and the '14 afc divisional game in the same fashion.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Frank I'm a big Pats fan and Belichick is the best coach of all time. Andy Reid just has a fatal flaw in clock management. He lost the '04 superbowl and the '14 afc divisional game in the same fashion.
.... which is why Philly gave up on him

It's just that apart from the actual success the Pats have had with the dynamic duo, there are other measures of a great coach which definitely apply to Andy Reid.

Personality and ability to relate to press aside, BB's game management, specifically the time management that organization has achieved, is remarkable and truly stands out.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:20 PM
SS/Veteran

Clock management and practicing punt blockage are perfect examples of playing the game with the mind where player skills are only part of the challenge.

It maybe a stretch but it brings to mind the time when there were stripers in a rip. Seasoned hard core surfcasters were all lined up here and there casting but there was one 10 year old girl catching five to their one; fish every cast. She was also using her head. While all were casting floater Rebels, including her, she was draping sand eels on the treble hooks. So it is with coaching/team management: it is more than player acquisition and skill development. It is also about strategy and doing things the opposition does, or does not, do. That is why the Pats win. .. and why the girl caught more fish.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:22 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
It's almost Shakespearean, if I can get high-brow on youse guys: the guy does so much so incredibly well, but he's just awful -- awful -- at thinking on his feet. He gets that empty look in his eyes, and the results are always dreadful. The guy would have won at least one or two Super Bowls if he wasn't so bad at in-game management, especially of the clock.

This could be, as I sit here on the bowl thinking about it, why his assistants have gone on to such success in the rest of the league. They get the good points of the way Big Red runs his football program, but they're all better at managing stuff during the game than he is. It's hard for anyone to be worse.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Garrity View Post
It's almost Shakespearean, if I can get high-brow on youse guys: the guy does so much so incredibly well, but he's just awful -- awful -- at thinking on his feet. He gets that empty look in his eyes, and the results are always dreadful. The guy would have won at least one or two Super Bowls if he wasn't so bad at in-game management, especially of the clock.

This could be, as I sit here on the bowl thinking about it, why his assistants have gone on to such success in the rest of the league. They get the good points of the way Big Red runs his football program, but they're all better at managing stuff during the game than he is. It's hard for anyone to be worse.
Personally, with no data to support, I think things that were going on in his family were contributing factors, though it doesn't change the fact that his on field mgt definitely sucked.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...ar_battle.html
Old 10-24-2018, 08:30 AM
SS/Veteran

A good example of in-game tactics was the final seconds of the Seattle-NE superbowl. Seattle had the ball at the 1 yard line with about 30 seconds left and everyone in the world (including me and everyone I was watching with) expected Belichick to call a time out. Instead he just gave them the death glare and forced Seattle to run a play, and they opted into one of their go-to goal line plays that New England had prepped for.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:24 PM
SS/Veteran

[quote=RobS;2435834]Personally, with no data to support, I think things that were going on in his family were contributing factors, though it doesn't change the fact that his on field mgt definitely sucked.

Everybody has to function amid the influences that rise in our everyday lives. Anybody remember Arron Hernandez, the Pats player who murdered people smoked dope and also played awesome football. Now they are saying he was such a screwup because of CTE head injuries. His untimely suicide while in prison was blamed on his malaise and they even did a surgical exam on his brain. Football is barbaric and while they are now taking steps to prevent quarterback injuries, what about the other team members? Also, take a look at the things so many players on field. Some of those guys are screwballs.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:30 PM

[quote=Francis Daignault;2435846]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Personally, with no data to support, I think things that were going on in his family were contributing factors, though it doesn't change the fact that his on field mgt definitely sucked.

Everybody has to function amid the influences that rise in our everyday lives. Anybody remember Arron Hernandez, the Pats player who murdered people smoked dope and also played awesome football. Now they are saying he was such a screwup because of CTE head injuries. His untimely suicide while in prison was blamed on his malaise and they even did a surgical exam on his brain. Football is barbaric and while they are now taking steps to prevent quarterback injuries, what about the other team members? Also, take a look at the things so many players on field. Some of those guys are screwballs.
All true, but Head (and O/D line coaches) as well as QBs can't function well with screwed up heads.

The other barbarians can work more on instinct, even though FB is no longer just a bang-heads-together sport, with all the different alignments, codes etc it takes to be successful.

A football team is a system more than any other sport.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:20 PM
SS/Veteran

I see a curious misalignment has developed between Boston press and Patriots high command. Belichick obviously dislikes sports reporters; Brady endures them; Kraft avoids interviews. So much so that the separation between Pats org and Boston Pravda is a forgone conclusion. Pats heavies are obviously Conservatives and one can see their disdain for liberal bias. Not saying that Mister Smarty and Patriots leadership are on the same page because the reasons are different; our only common ground is that Pats and Smarty think the press stinks albeit for different reasons.