Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:44 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Book Sales -- 2018

Sales of all my book titles are very slow. I think it is because members here all have them. There have been a couple of recent orders -- Maine and RI. You can order them through PayPal but you can also order them the old-fashioned way with a check and Mail order. Just follow instruction given at the top of the page. If you are a beach/shore fishermen, remember that I wrote them for you. Also, remember that I don't need the money. I do, however, bask in the validation.

As usual you can feel free to remark on this thread.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Book Sales -- 2018

I have them all and occasionally loan them out. Probably that's not good for business from your perspective. All are great reads and the "meat fishing" background has it's own way of inspiring. No big deal if I drop a fish, a way bigger deal if Mr. Smarty circa 1970's drops a fish / check.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:34 AM
SS/Veteran

Way back it was about business but our lives have evolved so much that selling books is no longer attractive. Its just as important to me to know an angler has read and enjoyed it than the couple of bucks profited in the sale. Remember that I am 81, have been retired for years without money issues. I am not the same Frank that was struggling to make ends meet 40 years ago. Even our kids have become grandparents.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:47 PM

I'll wager that those memories of the years you struggled are still cherished. Tough times have a way of doing that. My mother and father, RIP both, grew up in the depression and both would tell you if they could that the lean years were the best years they had. I'm not yet sure just yet where I will land on that subject. I'll be 71 in November.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:43 PM
SS/Veteran

If you climb out of poverty, oh, its great to have been there and recovered. But when you are living it it is both painful and scary. When our first baby was born club footed and we had to pay $35 bucks for a dennis brown splint when my take home pay was only $40/week my wife and I cried. If overtime was offered at my job, I jumped at it. The Hebrew saying "once poor, never rich" hits it on the head. I never got over being dirt poor.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:56 AM
SS/Veteran

Whenever the kids get together, never all four at once, there is a lot of reminiscing over their formative years on the beach. One time the rangers picked up the twins, Susan and Sandra, 12 miles down the beach walking the water line. The rangers thought they were lost but they told the ranger that they only had to turn around and walk back along the waterline thus could never get lost. The stories of the then told now go on and on with that time when all were young enough to be good.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:06 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Yes, it gets tougher and tougher to get everyone together, but remember that no matter where y'all are at now, you have passed along the memories of that lifestyle, and have inspired and influenced many, both in your own family, as well in your readers.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:48 AM
SS/Veteran

Yes, thanks for that Rob. Twenty Years had a charm that the other books did not have. That first book had a good run but has slowed down some probably because everybody inclined to buy and read a book has read it. Surfcasting is a small limited market and men don't read as much as women do. My wife knocks off a novel per week all year long, except for during hunting season. Men don't read at all.

Lately I have taken to reading old books that have been in my library for years. If you let some time pass, it is like you never read them. Also, I have a chair hidden in the woods at my deer stand and I sit in it when hunting and read. Last year, and I knew it would happen some day, I went to turn a page and a buck was looking at me. I didn't dare move and we shared a stare down for about ten minutes before he bounded off. I got a smallish buck later and it might have been him; not sure. My wife gets pissed when I admit to reading in the woods.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:47 AM
SS/Veteran

I have no idea why but the past week I have sold a year's worth of books. I had to order a bunch from the publisher. Somebody must have promoted my titles somewhere. Sales are all New England, if that has any meaning. Even more odd is that sales are all titles of the less popular ones -- Hot Spots, Fly Fishing the Striper Surf. The ones I expect they should want -- Eastern Tides, 20 Years, Striper Surf, which are wildly popular, no orders. Go figure.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:56 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

as they say "don't look a gift horse in the mouth"

wait, maybe that's in the wrong thread! (duck soup)
Old 09-07-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Yes, thanks for that Rob. Twenty Years had a charm that the other books did not have. That first book had a good run but has slowed down some probably because everybody inclined to buy and read a book has read it. Surfcasting is a small limited market and men don't read as much as women do. My wife knocks off a novel per week all year long, except for during hunting season. Men don't read at all.

Lately I have taken to reading old books that have been in my library for years. If you let some time pass, it is like you never read them. Also, I have a chair hidden in the woods at my deer stand and I sit in it when hunting and read. Last year, and I knew it would happen some day, I went to turn a page and a buck was looking at me. I didn't dare move and we shared a stare down for about ten minutes before he bounded off. I got a smallish buck later and it might have been him; not sure. My wife gets pissed when I admit to reading in the woods.
A lot better than drinking in the woods. I read when our once a month cleaning lady comes. I take the truck to the water, read for several hours and once in a while some fish come along...not often.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:31 PM
SS/Veteran

We buy booze by the case but have never drank in the woods. I see that others do at times. I have found empty beer cans under tree stands but not all that often. What has got to be scary is that now, in addition to alcohol, they have legalized pot I guess we can expect to see hunters on cloud nine. Still, the real risk is driving there and others being drunk, stoned, or both is more likely than being shot.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:42 PM

Legalizing pot, then closing every possible remaining smoking location available to those lepers. Seems a bit confusing. Some dope head wispering to himself "got you in my sights" when he sees a deer will have new meaning. Then again, maybe it's a squirrel.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:34 PM
SS/Veteran

I'm not a goody two-shoes but mind altering has no place in hunting where people are carrying firearms. Don't take guns away; take away the dope.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:42 AM
SS/Veteran

I have contemplated quitting here because we don't get many posts but we have a lot of lurking where people visit, read then move on. Access to our special software for administrators supports that.

The other reason for staying is that people buy my books at pretty much the same level. Guess I will just stick around albeit at reduced level during the hunting season.