Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:53 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Cape Cod Evolution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoller View Post
I suspect there is a connection between the loss of access to ORVs and the seal explosion. My guess is the constant vehicle traffic limited the areas the seals could nest. In 2006 I drove an ORV out to Great Point Nantucket and there were a few seals but the area was still fishable. The next year it was closed to plovers and when I walked out to Great Point there were hundreds of seals sleeping at the point.
The couple mile stretch I walked to Nauset Inlet had quite a few 4 X 4s...and hundreds of seals when I was there a couple years (in the fall) ago. The vehicle track there is probably far enough back that the seals are ok coming ashore. They never are more than a few feet from the water anyway.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:37 AM
SS/Veteran

When you have lived a life style for a generation that had certain components -- freedom, access, selling your catch, equal protection -- and they take that away, why would you want to go back. Those of you who have read my books -- Twenty Years, and/or Eastern Tides -- and there are many of you, have to know that life there is not the same. Life on the beach in a camper is very demanding and expensive. It does not take much degradation of that life to say "screw it" and move on. My wife and I have adapted to less fishing and more hunting. These choices take into account our age, crowds, proximity to home and availability of game. Right now there are more deer and turkeys available for sporting use than over-regulated stripers which are all over the place but denied of use. Having responded to that, we just moved on.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:49 PM

I had read somewhere that the seals in the Nauset to Chatham stretch follow the surfcasters. Easier to grab a striper when she's on a line than rather than have to chase her down. Lazy buggahz !
Old 09-07-2018, 05:54 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG@Breezy View Post
I had read somewhere that the seals in the Nauset to Chatham stretch follow the surfcasters. Easier to grab a striper when she's on a line than rather than have to chase her down. Lazy buggahz !

(edited) take a look at this thief
https://i.imgur.com/0YKFHVy.gif

Old 09-07-2018, 05:56 PM

Lazy and smart !
Old 09-08-2018, 04:13 PM
SS/Veteran

Years ago, duck hunting in SW winters, the seals used to come up in our decoys, pull them down then, realizing they were not really edible, let them go and swim off.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:28 PM
SS/Veteran

I just got back from a trip to the Cape where I visited Nauset and Race Point. I feel sad that I never got to experience the kind of fishing on those beaches that once existed.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:02 AM
SS/Veteran

Fatal shark attack there this weekend... Wellfleet.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:16 AM

The news described it as a "well known feeding zone"

Really?? Let me go in first, then, please!

"
Visitors to Newcomb Hollow Beach are greeted by a sign warning them to "Be Shark Smart," CBS Boston reports. The sign advises to avoid swimming near seals, to swim close to shore in waist deep water, and to swim or surf in groups.
"The inshore waters off Wellfleet are a feeding ground for Great White Sharks," the sign reads. "They come to this area to feed on seals. Great White Sharks are predators and should be considered dangerous. Encounters with sharks are rare, but please remain alert." "

If you swim in groups, aren't you then just offering up a buffet, instead of an entree' ?
Old 09-16-2018, 11:43 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
I just got back from a trip to the Cape where I visited Nauset and Race Point. I feel sad that I never got to experience the kind of fishing on those beaches that once existed.
The experience you speak of is highly dependent upon the individual fishing and his/her knowledge of the area. Fishing there full time summers for 30 years, I can say with confidence that we knew a lot of people who left the Cape and never came back believing that it was overrated. You could have great fishing on a Back Beach point but if the wind and tide were not the same when you came back, you caught nothing. Each hot spot had its own timing which an angler had to know and you had to find that out for yourself because others either guarded the secret or did not know themselves. We spent years fishing with some very dumb guys who got there years before we did and still didn't know anything.

There is a guy who has been lauded here for years who we knew back in the day who once pulled up beside my wife and I, splashed out into the surf flushing bass as he went, made a cast then left. We had just put a few hundred pounds in the buggy, then doubled it after he left.

The first time we saw Race Point we knew it had to be a memorable hot spot. Still, P-town regulars never fished it. We cleaned up there all the time and never saw anybody. But you needed the right tide and right wind. I also think you had to care and a lot of those guys did not care.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:45 PM
SS/Veteran

This recent shark event to have killed a guy has got officials wringing their hands over the shark infestation. Media is now saying that there are 100,000 seals pulling in the sharks. Last time I wrote about the sharks there was supposed to be 10,000. Officials are facing going up against the Marine Mammal Protection Act where they can't kill the seals which are drawing the sharks. They certainly can't kill the sharks. All know this is going to keep happening to tourists in the water.

I could never surfcast those bars at night with those sharks around. That would give me the heebie-jeebies. Glad we don't go there any more.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:21 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
I suspect there is a connection between the loss of access to ORVs and the seal explosion. My guess is the constant vehicle traffic limited the areas the seals could nest.
I doubt it. I think the Marine Mammal Protection Act, which was passed in 1972, has a lot more to do with it. Before that, fishermen used to shoot seals to eliminate competition, and also for sport; I used to work with a guy in California who was a charter boat captain on the side, and he said that when he was a kid, they used to shoot sea lions by the dozen.

By the '70s, the population of seals was so small that its range was much, much smaller than it is today. It's the lack of human predation on the seals that has their current numbers so high. This is just my opinion, but I don't think ORV has anything to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
ORVs have always been unpopular, probably because they are used by "outsiders". Locals are joined by government men who regulate in favor of locals. Thus, beach closures follow.
It's not just a Mass. thing. I'm plodding my way through Robert Caro's leviathan, 1,100 page biography of Robert Moses, and Moses faced the same kind of local-yokel exclusionary tactics when he started creating state parks on Long Island. People move close to a public resource like a beach because they like it, and, once they're established there, they do everything they can within the law, and sometimes quite a bit without it, to keep everyone else away.

I've seen it in Jersey, too, and that's in spite of the fact that Jersey, statutorily, has more public-friendly beach policies than New York or Massachusetts. I was fishing one night when a beachfront homeowner ran onto the beach -- a fully public beach, I should add -- and yelled at people to get off "his" beach. I liked it very much when a guy who was about 6-foot-5 and weighed about 300 pounds walked right up to the homeowner and told him to go bleep himself.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:47 AM
SS/Veteran

Locals seeking greater exclusive control of shore front property is an old story. The Cape Cod Times used to editorialize against RVs on the beaches all the time. They had Cape Codders all riled up against what were then called "the Gypsies". People came across Pleasant Bay onto Nauset by boat and dug tank traps on the beach trails. They would spread newspapers over the holes, sprinkle sand to hide it and wait for you to drive into the hole. More than one wife smashed her head on the windshield when the pick-up hit the hole for a dead stop. Local police, who knew the tactic well, never did a flippin thing about it. Incidentally, this stuff was supported by local sport fishermen, some of whom became luminaries, actual folk heroes, in the striper fishing world.

I could tell you some stories, no names, about the striper fishermen who died of AIDS. Phnemonia, (sp) common cold. Trust me, it was not a cold; it was STDs. A lot of things about Patty Page's Ole Cape Cod were way less than memorable.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:06 AM

Big money will continue to threaten Jersey access, as everywhere. I know real estate and big money are trying to shut down another residential community nearby, pushing a master plan that will restrict access, push high rise condos and essentially eliminate 1/3 of an island from regular people. There is some pushback, but eventually it'll happen. Towns use every (quasi or really) legal trick they can to (a) get more money into the politicians pockets and (b) attract big $ revenue producers to the detriment of retaining any long term public interest.

As much as I hate federal agencies, or aspects of them, we have a national wildlife refuge adjacent to where we live which will at least ensure the NJ big $ real estate interests can't build on or otherwise destroy. It protects a river and inlet system that is the backbone of local fisheries.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:39 AM
SS/Veteran

It is about balance of power. Politics, vested interests, owed favors and how the power to manipulate the results shakes out in the world. Like you, I distrust government but the almighty development buck is tugging at the results as well. Sometimes sporting interests lose. I know that my exposure to sportsmen has taught me that many of us cheat when we can justify having been cheated by the system. On one hand you have people being prosecuted for having a scup that is under 10 inches and on the other hand enforcement officers who themselves break the law. It is increasingly difficult to function in a so complicated society. Its like the duck hunter I once met who hid all his ducks saying that he feared having to deal with it if enforcement came along. He felt overwhelmed by something that had gotten too complicated.