Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:26 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Bitch-o-grams????

Lets hear it from the guys and curls who support fake news. Massachusetts readers who have been brain washed by Boston Pravda have a HUGE advantage. Of course readers of the Washington Joke or the New York Chimes are also invited.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:03 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Bitch-o-grams????

The Times sucks -- it's boring and predictable -- but I gotta disagree with you, Mistah Frank, about the Post. That paper is excellent: the reporting, the opinion pages, all of it. They are doing incredibly good work, and the paper is a must-read. I even dig most of the stuff that I don't necessarily agree with. Even the sports page is superb: Tom Boswell, who's been at the paper for 50 years, says that the reporting in the sports section is better than it's ever been.

I very casually know a guy who's pretty high up in the food chain at the Post. I can tell you for a fact that the notion that on the news side, the idea that there's any kind of conspiracy to do anything other than provide straight reporting is pure, unadulterated, 99 44/100% baloney. People who think that news reporters -- not opinion writers, but news reporters -- sit around a table and try to come up with ways to screw a politician don't know anything about how newspapers work. One guy at the Post, opinion writer Bob Samuelsson (who's excellent, and who I think you'd like, Frank), is so dedicated to his work being untainted by partisan politics that he doesn't even vote: he thinks voting might influence his columns, and he wants to be as free from any outside influence, even subliminal, as he can possibly be.

I don't know anything about the Globe, but I suspect it's like the papers here in Philly, both of which pretty much blow. The current economic landscape for newspapers, even big-city rags like those in Boston, Chicago, and Philly, is grim.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:34 PM
SS/Veteran

Thanks for your post on this, Chris. Our local small town paper puts up a lot of Washington Post stuff in the ed pages and it seems to me that it is all very much along the lines of the Globe and NY Times -- largely anti-Conservative, anti Trump and hugely slanted. To me newspapers have lost their ability to report the news. They constantly put a spin on a story which is plainly intended to support their political agenda. I don't buy and read a newspaper to have my brains washed.

Your right about newspapers being in trouble. They too know it and their efforts to save themselves are only worsening their plight. They could start by limiting their editorials to the editorial pages and stop weaving editorial spin into the news reporting. The transparency of their intentions hits the reader right between the eyes.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:20 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Chris,

I'm with Frank on the obvious bias in the news, including papers.

How it happens doesn't matter, good intentions of reporters notwithstanding.

That said, thanks for the pointer on the times... looked at the nytimes online sports section and it's pretty awesome, seriously.

Been trying to find a concise site for following some NHL teams, since I no longer am following football. Nicely done by the nyt technical staff IMO.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:17 PM
SS/Veteran

I've been subscribing to the Times for about a year. I don't think I've looked at the sports section once.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:56 PM
SS/Veteran

That 21 year old who threw the beer at the visiting player in last weeks Pats game is being charged. But for some reason they are not giving his name.

I'm having trouble understanding why the Dems are so frantic about losing control of the White House and Congress. Shifts in Washington power are common. Did conservatives smash store fronts when Obama won his election?

As a died-in-wool union man I was forced to vote for Trump because Hillary Clinton was not a suitable presidential candidate. I never dreamed that Trump would do a good job; never expected it. Next we are going to have Pocahontis as a candidate and we are going to reject the Dems all over again.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:01 PM
SS/Veteran

I have to go against the tide here . I’m finding today up to the minuet news ( including the Pecker head president tweets ) keeps us informed very well . Not asking that it replaces David Brinkley or Walter Cronkite But gives us more of Erica Kane and Leslie Brooks .
Old 10-17-2018, 04:23 PM

No idea who they are. "Up to the minuet" news is almost as useful as #fakenews
Old 10-17-2018, 04:33 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
No idea who they are. "Up to the minuet" news is almost as useful as #fakenews
Now that?s ? Breaking News ? Never heard of Brinkley & Cronkite?
Old 10-17-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookI View Post
Now that?s ? Breaking News ? Never heard of Brinkley & Cronkite?

funny.... the *other* names
Old 10-18-2018, 02:46 PM
SS/Veteran

What some are missing here is that if news reporters had a solid, all abiding news ethic, we would not have to read newspapers or other media wondering if something is true. Instead our is a world of doubt and distrust. I blame the high command at the editorial level for letting exaggerations, editorial slant, political bias rule their policies and consequently fail us.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:29 PM
SS/Veteran

What do you think of the Saudies erasing that Washington Post reporter in the Turkish embassy? I don't know which side to defend in that one. On one hand a Washington Post reporter has been murdered by the same guys who brought down the Twin Towers; on the other hand its a Washington Post reporter and you have to know how I feel about those guys.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:39 PM

It's a tough one, but if in fact he was a legit reporter, than it continues the low-life regime known as the house of Saud. Total slimeballs.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:30 PM
SS/Veteran

I know these are hard times but remember the old nuclear holicost days, bomb shelters Cuban missele crises. If fake news is presently our biggest concern we should dance in the streets next to the wrecked store fronts left over from the election.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:08 PM
SS/Veteran

We have another whack job with a gun, this time in Pittsburgh. Here comes another round of gun laws and more attacks on the NRA. I better get started sharpening a stick for my duck hunting. Or, maybe the price of our gun permits will be increased.