Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 09-12-2006, 12:03 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Default IBSP Heads Up...

For anyone heading over there, they were closing Gillikens and A7 about 11 AM due to high water. Probably reopen it as low tide approaches again. The beach is pretty flat, and a lot of the structure that was formerly there has changed.
Only got one 22 incher, and a couple of good hits and no hook ups on clam, nothing tossing Storm shads.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:37 PM
SS/Veteran

Thumbs up Re: IBSP Heads Up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragman
For anyone heading over there, they were closing Gillikens and A7 about 11 AM due to high water. Probably reopen it as low tide approaches again. The beach is pretty flat, and a lot of the structure that was formerly there has changed.
Only got one 22 incher, and a couple of good hits and no hook ups on clam, nothing tossing Storm shads.
yes we were at Gillikins as wedll at dead low tide got to watch these only anglers out besides Don & I hook up with two nice steripers on clams ,
These fish hit right in the wash .
29 1/2" & a 28 3/4 " Striper.
got to put the time in .
Old 09-13-2006, 02:17 PM

Default Re: IBSP Heads Up...

Is it me or does the Striper she is holding have some missing meat or a small chunk cut from the tail end? Is it her sleeve in the way? I hope those got released.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:51 PM
SS/Veteran

It is her sleeve, and they are well within their rights to keep them if they want, although they did look pretty skinny/hungry.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:21 PM
Administrator

wow, that picture looks like the background was added later, its so perfect.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by renz225
Is it me or does the Striper she is holding have some missing meat or a small chunk cut from the tail end? Is it her sleeve in the way? I hope those got released.
She didnt want to get any "fishslime" on her hands. And they were both keeper size, so release or keep is not a question for us to ponder.
Great pic Guppie!
Old 09-13-2006, 10:11 PM

Id be happy with either one of those fish. I lost count of how many shorts I released this spring, plus the nine fluke this past Sunday between 15" - 16". Nice catch!
Old 09-14-2006, 07:58 AM
SS/Veteran

fished seaside park last night from730 till about 1100 ended up with one short as soon as i got there he was only about 22in then nothin but sand sharks probably caught about 10 sand sharks soo the ate all my clams up.......lots of white water give it another shot on sunday!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2006, 09:37 AM

You did better than I did north of there. Fished clams and artificials from 7-10pm without a tap.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:39 AM

It was a great catch! Good job. As far as catch & release goes I am not the one to say anything. They are keeper size and legal to keep. I just said "I hope they were released". It would be nice to see those youngins swim a few more years so they can possibly be cows 1 day.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:09 AM

fished seaside during high tide yesterday , zip again with salted clams and soft plastics. maybe i should pick up fresh clams. very high surf
Old 09-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Anthony,
Try about an hour or two into the incoming, thats when I was getting the shorts I caught. Go with the fresh clams also. I only fish salted, if I cant get in the shell, and then only the ones I salted myself. If you just want to put a bend in the rod, drop down to a smaller hook size, and fish sunrise or sunset for croakers. I was getting lots of hits, but using 7/0 hooks, it's kind of tough to hook them. I was getting the hits long after sunrise, so they might be around during daylight. I also have gotten nothing on Storms... Hope you are enjoying the vacation!
Old 09-14-2006, 10:07 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragman
Anthony,
Try about an hour or two into the incoming, thats when I was getting the shorts I caught. Go with the fresh clams also. I only fish salted, if I cant get in the shell, and then only the ones I salted myself. If you just want to put a bend in the rod, drop down to a smaller hook size, and fish sunrise or sunset for croakers. I was getting lots of hits, but using 7/0 hooks, it's kind of tough to hook them. I was getting the hits long after sunrise, so they might be around during daylight. I also have gotten nothing on Storms... Hope you are enjoying the vacation!
I salted my clams yesterday for today , and did not have any great luck with stripers,I agree stick with fresh and do not use bunker oil, it just didnot work for us today .
As soon as I put a fresh clam on, we got one croker after another, and a few short Bass. some times Bunker oil works great, some times salted clams work great, but not today
Old 09-15-2006, 09:58 AM

fished last night in SSP from 9-1215 3 shorts, 10 dogfish, and kept 8 huge croakers released a dozen others. first 3 fish were bass to 25 inches, then the dogs and croakers took over, beautiful night, got some fresh mullet from the guy behind our rental who was packing them in bags from a 120 qt cooler, might fish these if this rain ever stops!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At least I am catching now. All fish caught on Fresh clams from Grumpys , from here on out it will be hte only bait shop I use, very helpful with tips and $4 per dozen for huge clams was a great price, I salted the remaing ones I had this morning, I hope these croakers are good to eat.
Anthony
Old 09-15-2006, 12:47 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Anthony,
The croakers are supposed to be very good tasting. I have been told, they are much like black drum, a pain to clean/filet, but nice meat when you get done. I gave some to a guy who was catchless a few years ago fishing nearby, and the next time I saw him, he said they were great! I dont eat much fish, so cant tell you from personal experience though