Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 05-24-2007, 11:15 AM

Default Rigging Question and Heads UP A21 IBSP

I have 40+ special Edkids fishing at A21 on IBSP next Wednesday, May 30th. May nor be the best day for an individual seeking solitude to fish that particular spot!

I'll be setting out 8 to 10 rods at a time with these kids. For myself, i always direct tie my rigs to my mainline. In the interest of time and convenience, I'm thinking about having each rod pre-rigged with a snap swivel. I can then just snap on the hi-low rigs when we get there (no way I can fully rig them ahead of time and not risk snagging someones hand!).

Can I get away with this, or will the kids likely lose any sizeable fish if I rely on a snap swivel for my mainline connection?
Old 05-24-2007, 11:26 AM
SS/Insider, Team SS

Default Re: Rigging Question and Heads UP A21 IBSP

I use a snap swival for all my bait rods. (same reason don't need to hook one of the grandkids or be untangling rods) I have not lost a fish yet, but I have not had the fish of a life time yet either. Just remeber to retie after two or three hook ups.

It also makes it easier at the end of the day to put the hi lows away and transport the rods.

and Family 04,05,06,07,08
Old 05-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Ed,
I use the snaps all the time. As long as the knot tied from the main line is done right, you should have no problems...Dont ask how I know that...
Old 05-24-2007, 05:41 PM
SS/Veteran

running line briad or mono?
Either way it should be fine, just a different knot.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:49 PM

All mono for the kids. I have one small reel loaded with 15 lb power pro, but I keep a barrrel swivel on that and tie flouro leaders to it for lures.

I use an improved clinch or palomar for the snap swivel. My knots seem to be holding much better this year. 15 or so stripers Sunday, not one knot failure. We'll see how my tying holds up when I hook that first 20 or 30 pounder though!!!

I sincerely hope to hook into a nice cow with the kids Wednesday. I'd love to see at least one kid beach a big girl. I have kids saying things like "I can't wait to do this," and, "I'm pumped for this trip." Coming from a population where a high compliment is, "that didn't suck too bad," I'm just plain tickled.

BTW, we have a bus with a DVD player. The first movie we're watching on the way down is Stipers Gone Wild.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:48 PM
SS/Veteran

Palomar knot to the snap and you will be fine. I am really looking forward to this coming Wed. I hope it does not rain, because i have a important meeting now on thursday.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:47 PM

Passiton,

It sounds like your gonna give these kids a well deserved treat... best of luck... Post pics... That would be amazing seeing a 30lber caught. That would be a memory of a lifetime. Goodluck.

-b
Old 05-25-2007, 01:31 AM
Senior Member Team SS

Passiton I always use snaps for bait usually use a loop and slip it on never have had a failure up to 44 lbs and over 35 yrs

vinny@stripersurf.com