Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Spot Burning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALMONMEISTER View Post
Definitely not... I just thought it funny/ironic to advertise it and call it a secret in the same sentence. In my opinion...and this is hard for me to admit... I think they should make more of that river similar to its Douglaston area where you pay to fish but they only allow a certain number of anglers per mile. When you go there when it's not crowded, it's a wonderful place...

If not open to the public You would lose the hatchery and all the fish. Only the Atlantic Salmon is native to that river. If they stopped stocking today in twelve years you would not have Chinook or Coho in any fishable numbers. Steelhead would linger, but would eventually peter out. Browns require stocking to maintain populations as well. Think of the Salmon River as an amusment park...manmade fun.

as for spot burning...Mentioning a 12 mile section river is not a problem. Spot Burning would be if a person showed you a seam that was fishing well and you invited 5 buddies or blew it up online. It's the spot within a spot that most are talking about.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:27 AM
SS/Veteran

Spot burning will stop when people learn to keep their mouths shut. We got any Italians around here? "Staizitto"? Know what that means?

I have been fishing since I started walking, around seven years old. I have never, ever, seen anything like the Salmon River in upstate NY. If you took the smallest salmonid you could find there and caught it where I and most of you live, it would be in the local paper as a MONSTER. People would not walk across the street in Pulaski to look at a 12 pound rainbow.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:42 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redando View Post
If not open to the public You would lose the hatchery and all the fish. Only the Atlantic Salmon is native to that river. If they stopped stocking today in twelve years you would not have Chinook or Coho in any fishable numbers. Steelhead would linger, but would eventually peter out. Browns require stocking to maintain populations as well. Think of the Salmon River as an amusment park...manmade fun.

as for spot burning...Mentioning a 12 mile section river is not a problem. Spot Burning would be if a person showed you a seam that was fishing well and you invited 5 buddies or blew it up online. It's the spot within a spot that most are talking about.
I hear ya...
Spots within spots...good places...we all know a few of them.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:18 PM
SS/Veteran

All we can do is monitor our own behavior. No one has the right to tell another what he can, or cannot, disclose. I still say too much is made of spot burning. In so many cases labeling a person a spot burner is response to another problem. People don't always get along and when there is a problem it can be, or often is, another problem.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:11 PM

Between the internet and cells there is little room left for secrecy. Even being on the beach during daytime hours leads to crowds and dealing with people. Not so disturbed by folks with big mouths, that has been going on for years, usually the word of mouth or by newspaper publication offers a delay in time, the cell and internet posts tend to be in real time.

Again, not bothered by folks knowing spots, the issue is that many don't know how to behave, at night they are loud, they pee in the street around houses, they are slobs, who wants them around?

Its more of a volume problem (too many people and their tendency to be obnoxious)instead of being upset about them gaining knowledge without working for it.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:15 AM
SS/Veteran

You are right about the effect of having so many people around. I would have thought that the demise of interest in striper fishing, what with the loss of selling fish, would be reflected in declining interest. But that didn't happen. Unconsciously, we have gone to outdoor pursuits that are less popular just to get away from people. I also think that Long Island and Jersey have the potential for drawing more people being as they are such population centers.

Funny, one of the hot spots in my Striper Hot Spots book is a place we go to all the time and never see anyone there. Its such an obvious choice and described in detail and it goes unfished time after time. Hate to say this but people can be kind of dumb. And the place is incredibly reliable and easy. Handicapped accessible for a couple of old fots with fly flyrods.