Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Massachusetts

Fishing - Massachusetts Massachusetts Fishing Reports and Information from the Plum to the "Race"

Old 08-30-2016, 08:46 PM

Default surf fishing Nantucket in Oct.

Can anyone help me out with info on Nantucket surf fishing in Oct. and coming up from N.J. I couldn't find much on line. I'm not looking for specifics, but different areas would be helpful. (south, east,or north shore for example) The island's not that big so anywhere would be reachable. I'll be staying on the south shore of the island. I'm assuming Bass will be in full swing and maybe some Fluke or even Albies.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:48 AM

Default Re: surf fishing Nantucket in Oct.

Sure is quiet around here. Not sure you'll even see this. It's three years past being relevant to you. I haven't fished Nantucket in October since the early 80's. Dunno what to tell you except look up Bill Fisher's website and check their newsletters for a few years back to see what comments they provide.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:06 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

All I could say is I wish I had free time to head up there to fish! That's my story and I'm sticking to it
Old 05-21-2019, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Old thread but, nice to gather some MA south shore / Islands info anyway.

Fished Martha's Vineyard in the past and I would have to say Nantucket would seem to be also great that time of year. The Vineyard's south shore really shines as many other areas do too.

I would think both islands that time of year would be a casters playground. Not sure about shore access on Nantucket.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:53 PM

I'm headed over to nantucket last week in June. Annual week with the family ... two grown sons who fish with me and make sure the old man doesn't disappear in the night.
Used to fish Nantucket in late September but now we shoot for June. We fish nights now since daylight bass are mostly a story someone else tells or they are boat bass. Beach access exists all around the island except in a few places... so bummed that Great Point is occupied by seals and is just an old story that old men tell about. Also bummed out that you can't get down to the rip at Surfside without a long walk. But we know about long walks. With two arthritic hips long walks are now also old stories. I booked what I could get for the house we wanted and we are messed up for tides. I like the south shore ocean in June with a midnight tide. same for North side at Eel Point. High tide after sunrise has not worked for me. Guess we go figure what to fish around low tide. Inner harbor calling.

I'm open to talking about spots on nantucket because spot burning here really won't draw a crowd. LOL. I may regret that. Anyone want to talk about where they fish?

For the amount of time I've spent at each I'd say I've done much better on East Beach on Chappaquidick than anywhere on Nantucket. But Nantucket is where we started in 1972 and where we return to try to catch those elusive linesiders.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Old thread but, nice to gather some MA south shore / Islands info anyway.

Fished Martha's Vineyard in the past and I would have to say Nantucket would seem to be also great that time of year. The Vineyard's south shore really shines as many other areas do too.

I would think both islands that time of year would be a casters playground. Not sure about shore access on Nantucket.
This map addresses the issue of shore access all around Nantucket. And there are a lot more places than those which get assigned a beach safety post #.

https://www.google.com/mymaps/viewer...Um7IA&hl=en_US
Old 06-05-2019, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesT View Post
This map addresses the issue of shore access all around Nantucket. And there are a lot more places than those which get assigned a beach safety post #.

https://www.google.com/mymaps/viewer...Um7IA&hl=en_US
wow, is it mostly public, private, fishing regulated, fishing access limited to seasons? Inquiring minds want to know. Maybe time to venture over this year.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:15 PM

All those locations can be accessed via public roads or rights of way except for the Great Point area which requires you to have a beach pass for your 4WD vehicle. Some of the north shore western end requires a Town permit for the vehicle.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
All those locations can be accessed via public roads or rights of way except for the Great Point area which requires you to have a beach pass for your 4WD vehicle. Some of the north shore western end requires a Town permit for the vehicle.
Good info, thanks.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I'm headed over to nantucket last week in June. Annual week with the family ... two grown sons who fish with me and make sure the old man doesn't disappear in the night.
Used to fish Nantucket in late September but now we shoot for June. We fish nights now since daylight bass are mostly a story someone else tells or they are boat bass. Beach access exists all around the island except in a few places... so bummed that Great Point is occupied by seals and is just an old story that old men tell about. Also bummed out that you can't get down to the rip at Surfside without a long walk. But we know about long walks. With two arthritic hips long walks are now also old stories. I booked what I could get for the house we wanted and we are messed up for tides. I like the south shore ocean in June with a midnight tide. same for North side at Eel Point. High tide after sunrise has not worked for me. Guess we go figure what to fish around low tide. Inner harbor calling.

I'm open to talking about spots on nantucket because spot burning here really won't draw a crowd. LOL. I may regret that. Anyone want to talk about where they fish?

For the amount of time I've spent at each I'd say I've done much better on East Beach on Chappaquidick than anywhere on Nantucket. But Nantucket is where we started in 1972 and where we return to try to catch those elusive linesiders.
I'm a Chicagoan but I've been fishing Nantucket a week or two every year or so for the past 40 years. My family is there now and, per usual, Great Point is closed due to seals. The beach is also closed beyond the first mile marker due to the plovers which is a bummer. I can tell you that the best fishing we've ever enjoyed was fishing the rip at Great Point in the evening with the tide coming in. But, alas, you can't near it now. We've also had great luck fishing the harbor side at the Haul Over.

I've fished every inch of the island and have always had the best luck on the north shore but according to Bill Fisher, the fishing is really strong on the south shore (Tom Nevers, Madequecham, Low Beach, etc.). My family is there now and have been catching stray schoolie bass and blues but haven't stumbled upon any frenzies yet or caught anything of size.

Eel Point and Smith Point are kind of a pain to get to for us since we stay in Tom Nevers. Smith Point is frustrating because it just looks so damn good but we've seldom had much success there.

One of the best days we ever had was at Dionis Beach. We were there to picnic but I threw a couple of rods on the truck for the hell of it. If you know that beach, it's basically a huge sandbar that stretches out about 50 - 100 yards depending on the tide and it's mostly just families. I was bored so I waded out to the edge of the sandbar and pulled probably a dozen 10-12 lb. blues and keeper bass in broad daylight. No birds or anything to suggest there were fish.