Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 06-28-2007, 05:10 PM

Default New to surf fishing

After being a boat fisherman I have decided to try surf fishing. Understand that Sandy Hook is a good palce to fish. Need advise as to what type rig and bait/lures are the best for this area.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Default Re: New to surf fishing

For bait clam "live" or fresh Bunker.
Use striper surfs hi/lo rigs. http://stripersurf.com/highlow_orderform.html
Have fun and good luck fishing..

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 06-28-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfden View Post
After being a boat fisherman I have decided to try surf fishing. Understand that Sandy Hook is a good palce to fish. Need advise as to what type rig and bait/lures are the best for this area.
Bob's rigs are great! I bough three at the beginning of the season. I tie my own now, but his are the benchmark I compare mine two (and I am still sadly lacking ).

You're asking a huge question. What are you fishing for? Stripers have settled down, as have many of the blues. Both are still being caught, but not too many (from reports here and elsewhere). Skates and sea robins, lots and lots of sea robins, seem to be what people are getting when they target those fish at the moment.

Fluke fishery appears to be picking up. Different set up than for the other fish.

Personally, I'd rather skip the hook and head right to IBSP. Exit 82 vs 117, but worth the extra drive. Beautiful, less garbage, and way more peaceful under most circumstances.

Good luck!
Old 06-28-2007, 08:40 PM

Thanks, actually found an old Penn 704Z reel which I will probably start with. All I need now is to get a rod. People tell me 8 and a half feet is good enough arounf here? Also,what pound test line should I use since I will need to get reel re lined.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:00 PM

Sandy Hook is pretty much the only beach I ever fish on. There are several lots to park and walk from. The first few lots are usually ok. "Fishermen's Beach" is ALWAYS shoulder to shoulder so I always avoid that area. My favorite area is North Beach. It's about a 5 minute drive North after the toll gates. You can ask the toll attendant for exact directions. When you get to the lot and out on the beach, walk to your left away from the lifeguard stations. Unfortunately, from what I was told yesterday, the best spot known as the "rip area" (aka false point) is fenced off because of nesting birds. However, the stretch from the lifeguard station to the fenced off area is great for blues, stripers, fluke and all the sea robins your heart desires. For fluking I use my 6 1/2' UglyStik with a hi/lo rig with teaser in between the two hooks baited with either killies or spearing. Some people prefer artificials, but I don't really like them. Using 1-2 oz teardrop shaped sinkers and very slow retrieving has always worked for me.

Also, keep your eyes open for diving birds. If I see top water action I throw on a 14" wire leader and cast various plugs and metals. If you're lucky, they will be stripers. And if you're not, they will be bluefish. In my opinion, it's a win-win situation.

In response to your rod length post, the only time I ever use a larger rod than my 6 1/2' UglyStik is when I go clamming for stripers specifically. When I do, I bring my 10' UglyStik. For a reel, I use the same Penn spinning reel for all situations I fish in. I use a hi/lo rig with 4-6 oz pyramid sinkers. I never have a problem casting it into the area where the stripers are feeding. I always use clams.

Good luck and tight lines! Let us know how you do!!
Old 06-28-2007, 09:12 PM
SS/Veteran

704?
Get at least a 10 ft rod.
Look at the Tica and the Tsumani. Both are good bait rods for the money.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:08 PM

Went to the hook this morning ( 7/3 ) around 9AM and stayed until noon. North Beach. Used bunker and got nothing but sea robins. About 10 of us were out there and it looked like sea robins all around. Guy next to me caught a shortie on live clams but that was about it. Thnaks for info.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:47 PM
SS/Veteran

Back to boat fishing?
Old 07-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by levari View Post
Back to boat fishing?
Dont be too sure... Maybe he is the type that works thru the advesity that surfcasting carries along with it, and will do well...
Old 07-03-2007, 10:19 PM

Smile Re: New to surf fishing

You never can tell. Might be like me and get hooked and end up with all kinds of surf stuff.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:49 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragman View Post
Dont be too sure... Maybe he is the type that works thru the advesity that surfcasting carries along with it, and will do well...
I do hope so, the only way to be rewarded in the surf is to keep coming at them. Here is the proof from the same location. And by the way, 9AM is already too late, You should leave by 9AM. 9AM is may be good for boat fishing and catching sea robins.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2007, 11:05 PM

I was at shark river inlet yesterday and bunker was around they was snaging themn and just leaving out there and catching about 30 to 40 lb stripers
Old 07-03-2007, 11:48 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phila4n26 View Post
I was at shark river inlet yesterday and bunker was around they was snaging themn and just leaving out there and catching about 30 to 40 lb stripers
Here goes away the 9AM theory
Old 07-04-2007, 12:14 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
I do hope so, the only way to be rewarded in the surf is to keep coming at them. Here is the proof from the same location. And by the way, 9AM is already too late, You should leave by 9AM. 9AM is may be good for boat fishing and catching sea robins.
Well, thats usually the time I get to fish, due to work. However, this morning I did get over around sunrise, being off last night. Didnt get anything, till my usual prime time, a little after 8 AM. A double header, both 22 inches. And not a sea robin to be found. First stripers in a couple weeks. I have to admit though, I hadn't been out in a couple weeks either...
Old 07-04-2007, 04:59 AM

Quote:

"Look away!!!!! I'm hideous!" ~KRAMER