Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Maine & New Hampshire

Fishing - Maine & New Hampshire Maine & New Hampshire Fishing Reports and Information

Old 04-06-2003, 11:46 AM

Hi Guys --

Native New Jerseyian surfcaster looking to escape unbearable Jersey summer and hunt striped bass in your beautiful State.

Any info (good & bad) that you can provide on conditions at Popham Beach in July (week of 21st)would be appreciated.

One main question is access... is the park open for night fishing? Are fishermen "limited" to a small area due to designated swimming beaches?

Is there a "better" current... incoming or outgoing?

I fish artificials w/ spinning tackle... is this a deep water, fast current jig spot or a shallow water plug spot or a little bit of both?

Is the Bath Holiday Inn a decent place or a dump?

Mosquitos???

Any place local where you can get good fried clams (whole belly, please)and a decent lobster roll?

Thanks.

ps. It's still winter down here, too. Sunny today, but 4-6" of snow on the way.
Old 04-06-2003, 11:46 AM

Hi Guys --

Native New Jerseyian surfcaster looking to escape unbearable Jersey summer and hunt striped bass in your beautiful State.

Any info (good & bad) that you can provide on conditions at Popham Beach in July (week of 21st)would be appreciated.

One main question is access... is the park open for night fishing? Are fishermen "limited" to a small area due to designated swimming beaches?

Is there a "better" current... incoming or outgoing?

I fish artificials w/ spinning tackle... is this a deep water, fast current jig spot or a shallow water plug spot or a little bit of both?

Is the Bath Holiday Inn a decent place or a dump?

Mosquitos???

Any place local where you can get good fried clams (whole belly, please)and a decent lobster roll?

Thanks.

ps. It's still winter down here, too. Sunny today, but 4-6" of snow on the way.
Old 04-07-2003, 03:28 PM

Hey Slacker:

If no one from down east answers your post; come to New Hampshire. We can give you everything your looking for and our Mosquitos dissapear early after being eaten by the Black Flies - just like in Maine. But we don't have Black Flies on our coast.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:30 PM

I've never personally fished the beach there. I know there is a Fort closer to the mouth of the Kennebec just past the park/beach. I am not aware of any restrictions. yes we have mosquitos, they are the size of crows, but when it gets below 32 F we don't worry about them anymore. The guys I know go surf fishing at the outlets of the rivers north of Saco and south of Portland. I do most of my fishin in Casco Bay around Portland. Popham and the Kennebec are famous fishing spots. There's an excellent tacklw shop in Bath , Kennebec Angler's. Look them up and give them a call. I am sure they'd help you.
Steve

Maine
Old 06-04-2003, 02:15 PM

popham has a good reputation. I don't know about restrictions there but you can also fish the mouth of the kennebec which is just a short hike east, and there are some flats to the west at the mouth of the smaller Morse river that get raved about.