Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:39 PM

Default Modern Day Frank Daignault

Okay here's the scenario. A Frank Daignault clone is born in 1975. He has the same amount of time to dedicate to fishing as the real Frank D in his heyday, he uses similar fishing tactics, and fishes the same areas as the original Frank D. The question is what kind of fishing career has he had up until this point? In other words has he ever caught a 50lb. fish. Has he ever even caught a 40lber? Did he ever have those nights where he's landed multiple bragging size fish in one outing? Would he go on to be a well respected author, or would he have quit fishing once the regulations got too stringent? Kind of a strange topic, but just humor me with a response.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:12 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Modern Day Frank Daignault

The response for this is going to be enjoyable for me.

The new, modern, Frank would start fishing with a family around the year 2000 at age 25. he would learn quickly to avoid the Outer Cape and drop it from his iten right away. He would fish Rhode Island and the Canal exclusively, using all the methods of the old one in the first life. As you point out he probably would have no 50s and way less 40 pounders but still have some. Because he was a high-liner then, he would be a high-liner now only the standards would be different in striper sizes. In some respects he might be exalted more because today's surf rats are pussies when compared to your uncles even when they were sober. For instance, I see more erronious belief in what is important today than back when the Andrew Sisters were virgins. Guys have always been afraid of the dark but it is worse now. (They also fear getting shot when hunting more than the old days.) I think that surf fishing today is geared more toward impression building than it was with the first Frank. People wet suit out to a rock to impress the guys on the beach, not to catch fish. There is an overall decline in committment today where regulars don't walk as far, fish as long, or understand conditions. Drugs were only starting in the day of the early Frank. Now their use is rampant. But the old Frank smoked and the new one would never, ever light up a smoke.

The new Frank would fish but the incentives of big paydays would not light the kind of fire the first Frank knew. Authorship would be unchanged in that the tenets of good writing remain the same. The writer's mind is the same: the continued search for cogency and truth with an entertaining flair.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:26 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
The response for this is going to be enjoyable for me.

The new, modern, Frank would start fishing with a family around the year 2000 at age 25. he would learn quickly to avoid the Outer Cape and drop it from his iten right away. He would fish Rhode Island and the Canal exclusively, using all the methods of the old one in the first life. As you point out he probably would have no 50s and way less 40 pounders but still have some. Because he was a high-liner then, he would be a high-liner now only the standards would be different in striper sizes. In some respects he might be exalted more because today's surf rats are pussies when compared to your uncles even when they were sober. For instance, I see more erronious belief in what is important today than back when the Andrew Sisters were virgins. Guys have always been afraid of the dark but it is worse now. (They also fear getting shot when hunting more than the old days.) I think that surf fishing today is geared more toward impression building than it was with the first Frank. People wet suit out to a rock to impress the guys on the beach, not to catch fish. There is an overall decline in committment today where regulars don't walk as far, fish as long, or understand conditions. Drugs were only starting in the day of the early Frank. Now their use is rampant. But the old Frank smoked and the new one would never, ever light up a smoke.

The new Frank would fish but the incentives of big paydays would not light the kind of fire the first Frank knew. Authorship would be unchanged in that the tenets of good writing remain the same. The writer's mind is the same: the continued search for cogency and truth with an entertaining flair.
__________________________________________________ ___________________

"Interesting"... Why The Canal? Isn't that a good part of the reason for no 50's (New Frank)? Not to impress anyone by how far out to a rock I could swim (I don't use a wetsuit) but I used to catch a fair number of 50's in the days of "Old Frank". Some people have been getting consistant 50's the past several years, from shore NOT fishing The Canal. If New Frank can't sell the things, why not fish for "impressive fish" (if only to challenge yourself)?
Unless you believe that a 30 or 40 in a roaring current in The Canal is as impressive as a 50+ elsewhere. "Fightwise", I would have to agree with you there. That place "concerns me"!..............JC
Old 12-27-2010, 09:36 AM

People will always have reasons for what and why the new Frank is what he is. People often know more about Frank than he does.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:43 AM
SS/Veteran

What you'r all missing here is that the federal govment made it illegal to clone Frank ever since the tires on his last beach buggy went flat.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:31 AM
Outdoor Writer
Outfitter
SS/Platinum

The new Frank would have done something part-time to supplement his teaching income and it would pay better than outdoor writing. Most likely, he would have embraced new technology in some way, as he's the only 78-year-old I know who has been on the net with a blog since 1998.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:44 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLyons View Post
The new Frank would have done something part-time to supplement his teaching income and it would pay better than outdoor writing. Most likely, he would have embraced new technology in some way, as he's the only 78-year-old I know who has been on the net with a blog since 1998.
I thought I was one of the last people to get on board with the internet thing..

But over the past few years I have met some guys in their 70's that never got a computer. Probably, fear of learning something new and saving $500 per year from cablevision

Anyway, I think the new Frank would have written a book or two on deer hunting as well.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:44 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLyons View Post
Joe, I think you mean 68. Correct me if I'm wrong.

MULE.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:11 AM
SS/Veteran

OK JOE, maybe 73-74. Arithmetic pg. 15, TWENTY YEARS. Don't age us old coots any faster than we're getting to the last cast.
MULE.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:31 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoonguy View Post
What you'r all missing here is that the federal govment made it illegal to clone Frank ever since the tires on his last beach buggy went flat.
I didn't think they made it illegal, as long as you got your monthly 3-day cloning permit, available only by a SASE from the NPS
Old 12-27-2010, 11:53 AM

I think the old Frank had an advantage of sorts with the limited fishing gear that was available at the time. I'm sure he might have wished for better line, maybe a better reel, or some innovative new lures. Today's Frank that is just starting out is usually mind boggled by the vast array of equipment out there. The new Frank wannabe's that I see JUST HAVE TO HAVE the most expensive rods, reels, and at least 200 plugs in their vehicles, or they're not fishing. They go down the beach with at least $200.00 worth of lures in their $175.00 surf bag, agonizing over each lure selection.

I think they spend way too much time over thinking things and too little time actually effectively fishing.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:34 PM
SS/Veteran

Just look at how many surf fishermen there were on the Cape each year when Frank finished his "20 Years" as compared to 2010. The new cloned Frank wouldn't have a chance out there. There would be 100 Googans today for each one out there back then. They would be lined up ten deep at ten foot intervals from Herring Cove to the new Chatham Cut! I'm sure NPS anticipated that when they encouraged more seals for the tourists and closed the driving trails to about 1/20th. of what they used to be.

Ro Diland is looking better every day, even the Canal...........Eh, Frank?

Here's a picture I took when I visited Nauset two years ago. I think it was Pochet Hole but, Maybe Cohoon's Hollow - one was as bad as the other just cause some Googan hooked a Skate! I think it's the guy in the water 3rd. left from the longboard. But, then, they guy just left of center in the botom of the photo in the Blue shirt and grey hat does look like a cloned Frank and the shirt does say FUNPS!

Last edited by lagoonguy : 09-24-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:03 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoonguy View Post
Tires????
Old 12-27-2010, 02:18 PM

I enjoy reading about myself from your point of view. I was born in 1936 and was 74 in November.

I never lacked appreciation for technology. I am a graduate Machinist Apprentice from Pratt and Whitney Aircraft where I was engaged in experimental machining on jet engine parts. I later worked on components for the NASA Lunar Excursion Module (LEM) project; also filters for the Concorde. I worked as a mechanical tech on the Polaris Missile Submarine Type 11 Periscope which enabled our Navy to drop an ICBM on a football field 5000 miles away. My first degree is in Vocational Education. I received my Masters in Industrial Education at the age of 41. My thesis was on Alternative Energy. In my spare time, while sweeping the floor with a broom up my butt going to the men's room, I wrote seven books on fishing.

The outdoor writing gig wasn't bad. When we did the Striperama, a 25 appearance tour during the 90s, I netted $19,000. I commonly had $500 appearances and when Trophy Striper came out we counted out $6000 in a Long Island hotel room but not all profit. I was once paid $1500 -- one time use --for an add agency photo. Things started down over the dog incident but I was getting tired by then anyway.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:28 PM
SS/Veteran

[quote=Frank Daignault;2347497]I enjoy reading about myself from your point of view. I was born in 1936 and was 74 in November. quote]

Hey, I'm only 7 months older than you.