Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:12 PM

Default googans???

Every now and then there is some term or saying that becomes part of our surf "Pop" culture, we hear it and accept it but don't really know where or why it started. The one I'm curious about is the term "Googan". I know what it means or implies but where did it start? old clambellies
Old 11-27-2008, 01:58 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: googans???

I have no idea. It seems to imply that a person who is one is a nurdy beginner. It is unkind and bespeaks a certain one-upmanship. I'll yield to some higher authority.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:28 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
I have no idea. It seems to imply that a person who is one is a nurdy beginner. It is unkind and bespeaks a certain one-upmanship. I'll yield to some higher authority.
I seem to remember someone saying (not saying who ) Bob D started it...
I remember this came up awhile back, and there were several other names attached to them. The one that stuck with me is Dillydock, dont know why...
On this site, I think it's kind of "we have all been there" type thing, just an acknowledgment that you have to start somewhere, and you learn from that. Everyone does "googan" things, from Frank taping the wrong finger for a night of casting, me having a 1/2 lb sea robin pulling drag because I forgot to tighten it down after cleaning the sand out of it after a cow nose took the set up thru the sand when it got taken down. Googan to me is sort of a term of endearment. We have all been there, done that and learned something from it. If you don't learn from your mistakes, and keep doing it, you move from googan to "dumb a$$", and there is probably no hope for you...
Old 11-27-2008, 03:13 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragman View Post
I seem to remember someone saying (not saying who ) Bob D started it...
.... If you don't learn from your mistakes, and keep doing it, you move from googan to "dumb a$$", and there is probably no hope for you...
oh great, and I thought I could just hang my hat on 'googan'
Old 11-27-2008, 03:34 PM
SS/Veteran

In the 1940's,50's and 60's we called them ling jerkers. I guess it was before the ling were scarce and a sought after fish on the head boats. You could catch them by the ton then. They weren't sought after at all. We caught them when fishing for whiting in November, December and January. Time changes everything in this sport.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:17 PM

The first time I ever heard "Googan" was on this site. I thought at the time that perhaps it's a Rhode Island thing. Actually, I much prefer "Ling Jerker", or its more diminutive variation, "Lingo".....it's more fishing-specific.

CL
Old 11-28-2008, 02:52 AM

I don't know where it started but they have their own website.
I was a googan, and sometimes still am.
I think though that I am somewhat trainable.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:54 AM

I think googan is an Internet term. Ling jerker is ancient history. (though I do a lot of ancient history myself)
Old 11-28-2008, 09:58 AM
SS/Veteran

Ling like the cod is a hard fish to catch today, so lets change it to dog fish jerker. there are a billion of those. {I learned the word billion since Fanny mae buried us in junk bonds} .
Old 11-28-2008, 10:15 AM
SS/Veteran

The Urban dictionary has a definitions for "Googan" that read: Actually they have six definitions but only two pertain to fishing.

1. Googan
A fishing (not sexual) term for lowlife, shore(bank) fishermen who baitfish typically without a license, regard to regulations, and etiquette towards other people, especially other fishermen following the rules.
Damn, I couldn't find a spot at the river yesterday. It was totally full of googans hogging up the place,dropping f-bombs, and snagging fish.

4. Googan
A googan is an offshore fishermen who constantly loses fish that the average fishermen would catch. 'Googans' tend to 'set the hook' when using circle hooks. A googan would not survive if stranded on a desert island with all the fishing tackle in the world, because a googan does not know how to tie the simplest of fishing knots.

Those definitions I found are a bit harsh and I woud define a Googan is a rookie that does everything wrong. Some googans learn by mistakes and graduate to a higher level and some googans never can learn.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:39 AM

Whenever we get talking about deer hunting I say, "I don't write books about deer hunting." I am definately a googan.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
The Urban dictionary has a definitions for "Googan" that read: Actually they have six definitions but only two pertain to fishing.

1. Googan
A fishing (not sexual) term for lowlife, shore(bank) fishermen who baitfish typically without a license, regard to regulations, and etiquette towards other people, especially other fishermen following the rules.
Damn, I couldn't find a spot at the river yesterday. It was totally full of googans hogging up the place,dropping f-bombs, and snagging fish.

4. Googan
A googan is an offshore fishermen who constantly loses fish that the average fishermen would catch. 'Googans' tend to 'set the hook' when using circle hooks. A googan would not survive if stranded on a desert island with all the fishing tackle in the world, because a googan does not know how to tie the simplest of fishing knots.

Those definitions I found are a bit harsh and I woud define a Googan is a rookie that does everything wrong. Some googans learn by mistakes and graduate to a higher level and some googans never can learn.

Wow! I never thought somebody would actually do research! Kudos! You da man!
Old 12-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Outdoor Writer
Outfitter
SS/Platinum

Googan is a catch-all designation that describes fishermen who run the gamut from beginner, to people who drink beer from a can while fishing. Like most negative associations, its a judgment word used to dehumanize others so people can feel superior.
Googans are also known as "customers" and potential readers of how-to books.
It's not a good term to use if you're hoping to sell something to someone - as beginners are the ones who don't have everything yet so it's best not to alienate them.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:12 AM
SS/Veteran

I'm a Googan so what of it?
Old 12-01-2008, 03:32 PM
SS/Veteran

It's always good to talk to new fisherman on the beach. They may not catch a lot but if you ask they will tell you everything they have seen and done. Not like the sharpies.