Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues

Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues An open forum for the exchange of ideas and positions on current and proposed regulations in saltwater fishing and conservation.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:56 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Captain of recreational fishing vessel convicted, fined for illegal catch

I think the whole thing is a joke. If you guys ever saw the amount of the law breakers down here in the southern part of the state you would understand.

Thats just striped bass , We have two major issue that we comms are facing right now. One........ the selling of rec caught fish mainly Sea Bass and Taug. Enforcement has it's hands tied due to lack of funding and the special interest groups solution is to make everything a game fish. We all know what happens when a fish goes into game fish status.

Number Five........ You need to come down here and take a look as to the coolers getting filled There are not enough C/O's in the states and the greedy anglers know this.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Captain of recreational fishing vessel convicted, fined for illegal catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Picker View Post
Number Five........ You need to come down here and take a look as to the coolers getting filled .
and dont forget to stop by and say HELLO to BENTROD
Old 03-19-2007, 09:15 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
I think the whole thing is a joke. If you guys ever saw the amount of the law breakers down here in the southern part of the state you would understand.

Thats just striped bass , We have two major issue that we comms are facing right now. One........ the selling of rec caught fish mainly Sea Bass and Taug. Enforcement has it's hands tied due to lack of funding and the special interest groups solution is to make everything a game fish. We all know what happens when a fish goes into game fish status.

Number Five........ You need to come down here and take a look as to the coolers getting filled There are not enough C/O's in the states and the greedy anglers know this.
my brother in law has been fishing down there for over 30 years and he tells me about the problems in his area (ventnor / margate)... Fishpicker is not lying by any means. I think folks dismiss the rec impact because we only think of ourselves....I think Bob's post is excellent to illustrate the impact by the entire population of anglers.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Togalicious Moderator

I'm pretty sure they kept the bass and that was the problem as it says fines were issued for "possession."

Can't see how he'd be fined if he caught, measured, and then he released it.
Seems the fish was kept and when push came to shove, no one else wanted to claim possession of it so it fell upon the captain. Whether he's shadey or not? Broke the law and got fined, simple as that.

Heck, COs are allowing people to CnR winter flounder. Even though the season is closed(well except for the commercial fyke nets that somehow seem to always be there in SR) as long as you release all the fish there are no fines being issued and officers have told others it's A-OK. They did fine some that decided to keep a few though, which is good.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:39 AM

Picker I agree we need more enforcement. It's terrible that people can't abide by the rules. Personally I do not know anyone that breaks the rules while fishing. The people I hang around are just more into preserving rather than abusing. Somehow though, most of the hunters I know do not play by the rules.
We defenitly need more enforcers out there. Right now I am paying rediculous amounts for hunting privlidges, I guess it's to offset the fact that some of the money must be used for policing the ocean as well as the woods. I try to do my part, but there is only so much you can do. Bent, if I'm ever down there I'd defenitly say HELLO. Sure we don't see eye to eye, but I'm sure your a good guy and we could at least agree on what tastes good. I'd even bring you some venison sausage, just don't break my rod!!!
Oh by the way, I smoked a bunch of scallops and that is the way to go.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number5 View Post
Oh by the way, I smoked a bunch of scallops and that is the way to go.
Just curious, did you use a bong or a hookah when you smoked those scallops? Were they harsh?

Old 03-19-2007, 12:11 PM

I would have expected that from Blazin420
My throat is raw.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Sorry.........

Flashback to Grateful Dead concert somewhere in the late eighties.

Quote:
My throat is raw.
LOL!!!!!!

Carry on.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
It's the Philly Riff Raff... been the problem for years down there.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:38 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
My throat is raw.
If that's the case, vaporizers are the way to go!!!