Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues

Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues An open forum for the exchange of ideas and positions on current and proposed regulations in saltwater fishing and conservation.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Default 2 Too Many

Measures for Recreational Summer Flounder Fisheries Announced
NOAA Fisheries is implementing interim coastwide summer flounder recreational management measures to prevent overfishing and improve the health of the summer flounder fishery. This action also ensures that appropriate management measures are in place on January 1, 2008, when the 2007 rules are longer effective. The rule implements a 4-fish bag limit, a minimum fish size of 18.5 inches, and a year-round season as the interim measures. The interim measures will remain effective until replaced by final 2008 measures. The Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council will meet on December 11-13, 2007, in Secaucus, New Jersey, to review the updated 2007 recreational fishery information and to recommend measures to manage the 2008 summer flounder recreational fishery. The final measures once developed and implemented by NOAA Fisheries, will replace or revise this interim measure.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:27 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Default Re: 2 Too Many

Mike,
You dont make any mention of what the comm sector is giving up, if anything. Personally, with the restrictions in place now, not to mention what is coming, seems like it's not worth recs going for them. A case of comm greed???
Old 11-30-2007, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

ITS not about comm greed, ===COAST WIDE= whats that mean- every state will get the same rec bag limit on fluke???? no matter how you look at it, 4 fish is wayyyy too many, i don't care if its 14 inches or 18.5 inches....4 is the WRONG number....if something does happen with a REC coast wide fluke,,,,,I VOTE FOR A COAST WIDE COMM STRIPER LAWS,,,,,lets just say 5000 pound DAILY trip limits would be good
Old 11-30-2007, 10:47 AM

I think we've all seen ( at least the ones old enough) what happens when striper fishing is open to the comm's.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:57 AM
Togalicious Moderator

They should just shut the fishery down, for comms too. No bycatch, no nothing, THEN that'll be fair since that's where this is heading to.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:54 PM

Gottog is half right... shut down the Greed Crazy Comm's and all will be well.

I PROMISE!
Old 12-01-2007, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Hogarth's letter:

"As you are aware, summer flounder has been under a rebuilding program since 2000. The rebuilding period was extended from 10 years to 13 years by the 2006 reauthorization of the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act.

"The most recent stock assessment update indicates that the stock is overfished, and that overfishing has occurred in each year of the rebuilding period. I am particularly concerned with our ability to control and prevent overfishing, given that the recreational fishery has exceeded the established recreational harvest limit in all but three years of the rebuilding period.

"While the magnitude of the overages has decreased, as has the overall fishing mortality, the fishery continues to exceed the mortality objectives.

"The most recent Marine Recreational Fisheries Statistical Survey data for Wave 4
(July-August) indicate that all but two states have already exceeded their 2007 targets. Therefore, I encourage you to consider more precautionary approaches to manage the 2008 recreational summer flounder fisheries to ensure that the 2008 recreational harvest and fishing mortality targets will not be exceeded.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENTROD View Post
"The most recent stock assessment update indicates that the stock is overfished, and that overfishing has occurred in each year of the rebuilding period.
IF NMFS gave the recs a 1 fish bag limit for 2008,,,,THAT WOULD BE A GIFT
Old 12-01-2007, 11:20 AM

If the Rec's got a higher % of the quota, that means the questionable data would not be that skewed. It would also insure more fish would be able to grow to at least 17" which would likely increase the overall biomass.

You can't tell me that a lot of the fluke caught commercially doesn't get wasted. It ends up cat food or in the garbage because it's just not sold fast enough to be fresh.

Sell the boat and buy a large pond. Tilapia is taking over.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by \'QuanMan View Post
You can't tell me that a lot of the fluke caught commercially doesn't get wasted. It ends up cat food or in the garbage because it's just not sold fast enough to be fresh.

maybe the cats in BEVERLY HILLS are eating fluke filleted PUPPY CHOW. i bet theres MORE CONSUMERS out there then anglers.....by all rights we should have more like 90 % of the quota, but right now well settle for 60
Old 12-03-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
maybe the cats in BEVERLY HILLS are eating fluke filleted PUPPY CHOW.
You're as confused as the the so called scientists providing the data.

I saw the A&P circular today. Bags of frozen flounder $4.99

That can mean only one thing; the supply was heavier than the demand.

Now it has to be frozen and sold at a lower price.

I love the advertising though. Wild caught frozen at sea. Yea, OK
Old 01-01-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
.by all rights we should have more like 90 % of the quota, but right now well settle for 60