Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 05-31-2004, 07:15 PM

Any of you guys use automatic tire deflators? If so, which ones, and would you recommend them?

The Oasis ones say you can drive with them, i figured you could screw them on when you get to the beach, and remove them when you get to your spot.

The Pickens Plan

"Democratic civilization is the first in history to blame itself because another power is trying to destroy it" - Jean-Francois Revel

Steve

Old 05-31-2004, 07:15 PM

Any of you guys use automatic tire deflators? If so, which ones, and would you recommend them?

The Oasis ones say you can drive with them, i figured you could screw them on when you get to the beach, and remove them when you get to your spot.

The Pickens Plan

"Democratic civilization is the first in history to blame itself because another power is trying to destroy it" - Jean-Francois Revel

Steve

Old 05-31-2004, 08:07 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Steve,
My son has used them,and said they arent worth the money.A litte sand,and they lose accuracy.Either let too much,or too little out.I use a paper clip thing that a guy gave me.Its one of the black ones with the handles.A screw is inserted thru the top of the paper holder and super glued in.Put it on the valve stem,and let it go.With a little practice,you can almost take it off at the exact pressure.Best part is you dont have to kneel down while airing down.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:39 PM

I have the ones from Oasis.They offer a couple different ones, as far as how much air you can let out. I believe mine go down to12-15lbs.When I put them on at the B&T,by the time I get to the access road tires are aired down,& I take them off before I hit the sand.I think they were worth every penny spent.Now all I need is an onboard compresser to air up.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:47 PM

buy the clips for 12 bucks or so, in three minutes ur in the beach
Old 05-31-2004, 09:05 PM
SS/Platinum, Team SS

I use the Oasis ones, they are ok but like ragman said a little sand they don't work right.I still like them compered to the tire buddy.

Old 05-31-2004, 09:24 PM
SS/Veteran

WOW guys I have never heard about these things you are talking about!! I hate airing down and you say these things work by themselves while you are driving?? WHERE CAN I GET THESE THINGS?? WHAT ARE THEY CALLED?? Are they ajustable? Can you set it for 18 pounds and just go? Tell me more!!
Old 05-31-2004, 10:04 PM

I agree with Lou F. The $8-$12 plasic ones are really all you need. I've even seen them homemade from those black binder clips (metal paper clip thing made from steel)with a small screw put in them. You can get it to where you put them all on and wait a few seconds then pull them all off and you're done. You get used to how long to wait and then you go around and check/tweak them. Works for me. I'd be afraid the accuracy might change on the expensive automatic ones. If you go too low you'll be in for a nice flat bed bill unless you carry 4 spares.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:09 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Lou F,
Do you drive a Cherokee? If so,thanks for the deflator! Striperob,Thanks! I couldnt remember the name of them,so called them paper clips. And I used to work in the office supply bussines!
PC,yeah airing down is a pain,but I think you are better off doing it yourself,rather than hopeing a automatic deflater will do the job.Takes me less than 5 minutes,and at least I know that the tires are at the pressure I want.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:53 AM

Have been using Oasis for a couple of year's now,and I think they are great.
By the time I get my wader's on,I'm aired down.
Never liked the idea of leaving them on while driving on though.If your going to get sand in them,driving with them on, that is when it will happen.
Over two year's now,and still working fine.

Joe
Old 06-01-2004, 09:20 AM

I have been using the Oasis deflaters for about 2-3 years myself and love them.
I still do not trust driving with them or not checking pressure before hitting the beach.

I usually put them on near air pumps and then check pressure before driving.

I keep them clean and stored in my glove box.......they turned a 20 minute airdown pain in the neck to about 5 minutes or so.

I'm sure the other methods mentioned here work good as well.

Old 06-01-2004, 12:44 PM
SS/Insider, Team SS

One of my daughters got me a set of the Oasis for Xmas, a definite plus. As long as you don't drop them in the sand things are good. I would not advise driving with them on though that will increase the possibility of picking up sand. I think these were designed for Calif. offroading which maybe a courser sand.

Silverfox

and Family 04,05,06,07,08
Old 06-01-2004, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Oasis here too, Fantastic, JOe
Old 06-01-2004, 05:04 PM

Thanks for the input guys, i guess the ticket is to pull up, screw them all in and wait a few minutes and then unscrew them before driving on the sand. My wife now has something to get me for Father's day!

They all seem to be about $60.00 for a set of 4 with the leather case and the adjustment tool.

Oasis Trailhead tire deflator

The Pickens Plan

Steve

Old 06-01-2004, 05:45 PM

I will add that I drive on them all the time......But not in the sand only on asphalt. I also check them regularlly to make sure they are all consistant.They have held steady.Make sure you set them up at an air pump....might take a few times before you get the pressure your looking for.