Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:01 AM

Default Tire Pressure

Taking truck out to IBSP today, it's a Dodge Ram 1500 with 20" tires, currently at 35psi. How far down do I take em???? Also what areas should be avoided???
Old 06-21-2007, 07:26 AM
NJBBA, Capt. Team SS, SS/Insider, SS/Platinum

Default Re: Tire Pressure

15 lbs.

Beach is OK. Just the area above A-7 is closed until October for the bathers. Gillikens and A-7 south are good.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob View Post
15 lbs.

Beach is OK. Just the area above A-7 is closed until October for the bathers. Gillikens and A-7 south are good.
Thanks for the quick response! Appreciate it. Will I be able to drive thru/around the bathing beach or do I need to exit at a certain point and re-enter at another access point?
Old 06-21-2007, 08:37 AM
SS/Insider, Team SS

If you go on at Gilikens you will only be able to go as far as bathing beach. You will need to exit back were yo got on. At A7 you can drive south to inlet and then exit at A23

and Family 04,05,06,07,08
Old 06-21-2007, 12:48 PM

Let me know how your truck makes out. I have an 05 QC 4x4 hemi with the 20's on it and have been reluctant to take it out on the sand. Those tires just don't have a lot of sidewall to make a sufficient footprint I don't think...but I could be (hope to be) wrong on that one.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:11 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Late response, but Wildbob and Silverfox are on the money. 15 lbs should work for your vehicle.
As Silverfox said, Gillikens to just above the bathing beach, if you want to go south you have to get off and go to A7. The southern end has actually inproved in the past week or so. Places that were narrow, are actually pretty wide now. Good tracks, and even down towards the surfline are good, firm sand. Good luck, hope you enjoy!
Old 06-21-2007, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Here are some tips on tire pressure and the sand from 1 persons perspective.

http://www.4x4now.com/sfjun96.htm

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 06-21-2007, 08:17 PM

20" rims look nice, but they are less then desirable for airing down.

1. There is very little sidewall, so the tires don't spread to give you a bigger footprint very well.
2. When aired down, any harsh bump (such as hitting the asphalt on the way out) is flirting with rim damage.

Luckily, the sand is fairly forgiving as far as being easy on rims. You defiantly do not want to do any kind of off road driving other then on the sand.

The Pickens Plan

"Democratic civilization is the first in history to blame itself because another power is trying to destroy it" - Jean-Francois Revel

Steve

Old 06-21-2007, 10:47 PM

hey guys, whats up! i was down 2 weeks ago for my first time driving on the beach. i have a 08 f250 with 17" bf goodrich"s all terains from the factory. i went down to 20lbs. & got around but not as easy as other guys. after talking to other people (including the rangers & statepolice) they all said to drop down to 15lbs. it felt like i was "pushing the truck" thru the sand & making the truck work harder than it had to. i"m going down this sunday early & gonna try 15lbs & see how it works. Question; can you get by a17 or a19 cause 2 weeks ago there was a big dropoff and you could only get by @ low tide?? thanks. walt
Old 06-22-2007, 01:13 AM
Senior Member Team SS

15 lbs is always a good pressure and if the sand gets softer or you start digging in drop a few more

vinny@stripersurf.com
Old 06-22-2007, 06:20 AM

A17-A19 is passable now.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:14 PM

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I took em down to 15lbs psi and had no problems the truck handled well in the sand even in some really soft areas and I had four other people in the truck with me plus all types of gear in the bed. I just took my time when traveling towards the air station to fill em back up. We fished half way between Gillikins and the bathing beach had several poles set up with clam and bunker head. The sea robins were eating the clams nothing touched the bunker head, but I did manage to catch a nice fat 30" striper on a 3 ounce pencil popper (pogie). Then after that there was nothing going on??? Hopefully it will bust wide open soon, like last year around this time. Best of luck to all of you guys.