Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:37 PM

Default Tying Rebel Minnows directly to mono

Frank, you said that you tie your Rebels directly to the mono with no snaps or swivels. Do you not even use a split ring in the nose of the Rebel? If not, do you use a loop knot, or cinch the knot tight to the nose ring?

I've removed the split rings from all of my Finnish minnows because I always use a snap or clip, which I admit could be why I don't like the action of the 5 1/2 inch Rebel.

Do you ever use a snap for any lure?
Old 05-13-2014, 03:34 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Tying Rebel Minnows directly to mono

Tie direct. No split ring,no snap of any kind. I make a point of tying direct in most cases. If I feel compelled, cut down the size of the snap. I can only think of one case of using a snap and that is the one that comes with the Crippled Herring. With it I have caught a lot of fish. The 5 1/2 inch floater Rebel is a great plug. Just go easy using heavy tackle.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:09 AM

How do you like the jointed rebels Frank? I just ordered a few along with some Mambo minnows in both straight and jointed, I figure they will be good for fishing those back bay docks.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:13 AM

We have done very well with jointed Rebels. They have a lot of action and they can get a little frantic if there is a lot of current or too much speed so you have to be careful where you use them. Avoid current laden outflows or very rough surf or the plug's subtlety is compromised. Every one who uses Rebels should have some jointeds.

(This is an important thread and I was disappointed to see it go dead. Your question is most welcome.)
Old 05-26-2014, 11:39 AM
SS/Veteran

I tie everything directly for two reasons. First being that I've had clips opened up. Second reason is it forces me to check and cut back frayed line every time I change offerings.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:29 AM

I don't remember the style of clip, but we had a rash of them doing that open up back in the 1970s. Also, if you are ever in a rip with a bunch of guys when some are not catching, notice they have these big hardwares at the plug attachment.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:28 PM

Fishing smart is tying direct, constantly checking your line and leader, cutting back, and constantly being aware of possible line damage. I often change my leader 3 times in one night, sometimes more. I usually re-tie knots after a decent fish, I take as few chances with failure as possible- which is zero chance when it comes to stupid/lazy mistakes, if you lose your dream fish to a popped knot or frayed line or leader who's fault is it??
-Phil
Old 05-28-2014, 07:26 PM
SS/Veteran

One of the things about tying direct that I think is helpful is feel. I always noticed a difference in the feedback of a plug swimming with a clip and them without. With metal lips I found myself testing the swim in fresh water. With clips, without, long leader, short leader the whole nine. To me it seemed easier to notice poor running plugs when I wasn't using a clip.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:08 AM

I don't like the constant cutting of my braid and having to reverse it and backfilling with a mono base, to keep the line an eighth of an inch from the lip of the spool, that is a hassle especially at the tip of a dark jetty, I don't see a problem with hardware at the end of my line, fish don't mind hardware - you wouldn't believe how many fish I have caught on a plug with three treble hooks so the theory of extra hardware somehow scarring fish has to be chalked up to one of those "uncleisms" Frank talks about, the thing is our uncles didn't have tactical angler and breakaway clips back in the day. These clips I believe actually impart a little action on the plug so no problems.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:33 AM
SS/Veteran

I do not tie direct to braid ever so I do not have that problem. The 55 pound braid I use is tied to a heavy barrel swivel and then 5 or 6 feet of 60# mono follows.

Clips scaring bass is surely not an unclism Mad. If you came up to my next of the woods when there is fire in the water you would likely get skunked using a clip than tying direct. I've seen it happen. It all comes down to your personal experiences. A big swimmer with three trebles would't get a sniff 99 percent of the time there is heavy fire in the water up here.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:43 PM

If your plug is supposed to be an edible fish to a striper, having it sporting a snap-swival big enough to breed with a brook trout hanging from its mouth looking a cigar has to ringing an alarm.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:31 PM
SS/Veteran

Stripers are not that smart that the barrel swivel or snap or tactical clip will make a difference. As far as action on the presentation yes big difference .
Old 05-30-2014, 03:34 PM

During the hayday years, when there were six of us fishing, if one of the gang was doing the wrong thing, it showed in their catch results. Sometimes the difference was in the application of terminal tackle. Why? I have no idea. Also, some lure choices are more efffective when snaps are used.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:05 PM

I come at this discussion from a somewhat different angle while considering both saltwater and freshwater applications.

The factors to consider are the test and stiffness of the line, the material (metal, wood, plastic) in the lure, the weight of the lure, whether surface or submerged presentation and the amount/speed of oscillation (action). Whether a manufacturer furnishes a split ring may supply a clue here.

Higher test stiffer lines may require the use of a snap swivel or split ring to augment the action of a bait particularly if it is non metallic and fairly light. The action of a bait may be impeded if its mass is not heavy enough to impart motion (action) against the line stiffness. Supple lines present an advantage in a lessened affect on a lures action but braids (quite supple) present knot problems not present in monofilament.

My belief is that surface and near-surface (suspending) lures, rapalas, bombers and some atoms work better with a direct line tie with no snap swivels. A lot of this has to do with the type and speed of the retrieve along with being on or near the surface.

I use no snap swivels on freshwater lures because the baits are lighter and more compact and the visual of a snap swivel is far more obvious.

Sorry surfcasters but this is where a boat comes in handy. Troll your lure within close sight off the beam of the boat (avoid wake turbulence) and experiment with various line types and weights using and not using snap swivels and split rings. It should become obvious which combination works best. Remember to change speed, try stop and go and move your rod tip to impart direction change. Alternatively, this can be done from a dock close to water level.

DP
Old 06-06-2014, 09:03 AM

I know this will go against some grains but often manufacturers make recommendations that are not enhancing measures. Years ago, it was either Rebel or Rypala, I forget, who gave specific recommendations to use a snap to attach the lure and we found that we caught more without the snap. Still, when I don't know what to do, I follow the labeling recommendations. For instance, and I know that Crlippled Herring come with a snap in the packaging so I used the snap inspite of my reluctance, and caught a lot of bass with a snap holding the CH to my leader. Perhaps, at least in that particular example, the tin has a more robust flutter. One reason why I accepted the snap, beyond the manufacturer recommendation was that the edge of the lure's metal attaching hole was too rough and I feared it might fray the leader in the violence of battle.