Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:37 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Triple Crown Thread for 2014

CC's connections had damn near earned some respect from me. But when owner cried foul for allowing horses other than ones who had already run in the KD or Preakness, give me a break, cry me a river.

Chris stated it boldly, horse had no chance in this race, period. Emotion wins nothing but pity. I stated horse had no business running in this race.

When you have nothing to win and everything to lose you have to realize that you are not obligated to participate.

Once owner of CC bitched, all respect for the story went in to the commode. The MF'er thought it was owed to them. Life rolls on with no obligations, once in a while it makes an appearance that being and doing the right thing rewards people.

The fact that you run your life in a respectful way means that you lose most of the time, when you do win it is not a cause for celebration, it is only a confirmation that once in a great while you make a small difference.

Doug
Old 06-07-2014, 09:43 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

I'm sorry, was there supposed to be some kind of race today?
Old 06-08-2014, 09:32 AM
SS/Veteran

Dougy...if I'm not on your ignore list :

the sun is shining...I agree 100 % w/ you if your a Champion you win regardless of conditions.

BUT Bob Costas interview w/ the winning horse owner was just classless.... Bob stick to baseball.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:34 AM
SS/Veteran

Believe it or not, I give the owner a pass. He's wrong, of course, and the timing of his remarks reeked of sour grapes, but I say cut him some slack only because of how disappointed he must be. To go that far, and then to lose, must be excruciating.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:25 PM

Fastest horse won !
Old 06-08-2014, 04:01 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

The time for CC owner to complain was before the Belmont, not after it doesn't go your way.

Anyway, for the first time we won some money in the Triple crown -- $66 on a ten dollar bet.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:31 PM
SS/Veteran

Nobody yet is blaming the real culprit of the race here, Victor Espinoza had a great chance to win this race by grabbing the lead from the 2 post and forcing the rest of them to go wide instead of him running the far turn in the 4 path.

CC's owner today said the handicap his horse faced was comparable to a basketball game where CC was a "kid in a wheelchair" playing against him , a decrepit old 6 foot 2 idiot. I would bet on the wheelchair kid in that instance.

Sorry Chris, no pass here. I believe I witnessed yesterday the most deserving loss ever in any horse race I ever involved myself in.

Hook, I unIgnored you to see your post, cool stuff that there is an occasion that we agreed upon something.

Anyone think that California Chrome never wins another race that is longer than 9 furlongs (1 and 1/8 mile)? If Vegas can give me that bet right now at odds of 15-1 I would lay $500 on it.

Doug
Old 06-08-2014, 09:45 PM
SS/Veteran

Good job Frank!

Anytime an involvement in this game returns a profit it is time to celebrate.

And as always, a much obliged thank you for allowing us degenerate drinking gamblers to spew our opinion on what used to be one of the greatest sports accomplishment known to all men.

It remains the elusive goal achieved by only a select few, it deserves to remain exactly as it was designed, it will be achieved again by the one that earns it. Deserving it is one thing, accomplishing the feat is a whole different ballgame.

Doug
Old 06-08-2014, 10:37 PM
Senior Fellow

Agree that after watching CC run in the preakness I really did not think that he could go 1 1/2 and hold on. When you want to watch something inspiring google Secretariat Belmont and just watch. One of the great performances ever. hard to believe
Old 06-09-2014, 11:08 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Good job, Frank? What Mister Smarty-pants doesn't tell you is that he and his wife left $500 at the blackjack table the same week.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:05 PM

Now that we got that ( 3 Crown ) over with why don't we start a race to the cellar for the Yanks and Sawx. Ooops, probably some fans on here.