Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 04-26-2006, 04:53 PM

Default Re: "20 years on the cape"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault
Thanks, Rob. Both Twenty Years and Eastern Tides follow similar formats but no story appears in both. I wanted ET to come off as more sophisticated, more literary than 20 Years. And keep in mind that there were 15 years between them so that inspite of conscious efforts I was a different person with more writing experience. I made much greater use of foreshadowing, character development, symbolism and took advantage of certain literary instruments -- letters from the kids as a way of bringing the reader up to date on who was where.

In 20 years I had overlooked all the GIs coming back from Nam and I felt that because they too had surfcasters among them, and considering what they had done, the price they paid, I felt a certain regret. That is why I wanted to develop PWB (Pennsylvania Wonder Boy), Allan. The second book was a chance to redeem the first in some ways. And of course, all those Rhode Island advantures that we could not cover in order to remain loyal to the title "Cape Cod". With ET, I was free to go anywhere and went where the other part of my soul had been -- RI. But hey, how many auto-biographies can you write? I had one more, the one with three chapters done, but as I have said too often here, I need a good swift boot in the ash in order to finish it. I'm getting older, I have become disallusioned, and I think I am stuck as a huge fish in a very small pond -- surfcasting. Quiet here today. Think I'll go to the super market, the baby food, tidy things up.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:59 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Twenty Years was a victim of the moratorium and the original publisher went out of business. I think, but cannot be certain, that it was actually remaindered on its last copies. Anyway, we got the rights back and with all the other newer books coming out -- Striper Surf, Hot Spots, Trophy -- there was a decent demand for it so we self-published it. Because of our control over all aspects of distribution and sale and a low cost operation at home, our mark up on it was huge and it has out earned all the other titles except Striper Surf. Joyce, my high school sweetheart, had said, "We invest in all these distant things. Why not invest in your first book?"
Old 08-13-2006, 08:44 PM

I've read all of your books,but "Twenty Years..." is my absolute favorite.

It can almost be read aloud to a child as a full story.
I thought it was wonderful.

But,"Eastern Tides" is a close second.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:34 AM

Thanks, Paul. I suspect that a lot of readers go into Eastern Tides first because it looks more important and has a nicer cover. But in order to get the full feel and growth/ageing of the author, you read Twenty Years first then Eastern Tides. Not that they are connected. I deliberately wrote them as independent works that did not rely upon the other.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:29 AM

Smile Re: "20 years on the cape"

Your first is still your best in my opinion. 20 Years was a great read, I bought my first and only copy when it first came out and it's a little threadbare now. That book is loaded with valuable information if one spends the time to read between the lines. The story of your life with your family and all the characters involved at that time in the pursuit of surf caught fish and an independent lifestyle is certainly a great insight to the history of that time but after reading it, plus having been there to a degree at that time, it made me realize that I had been fishing it ( the Race point chapters especially) at the wrong times of the tides.

Not only is it a great story but for anyone who hopes to learn the beach and get a leg up on the learning curve, a lot of what you need to know is there in that book.

There are six must read books that a surfcaster/Striped Bass fanatic should make him or herself familiar with in my opinion.

1. Woolner/Lyman "Striped Bass Fishing" ( the 54' edition is better)
2. Van Campen Heilner's "Call of the Surf"
3. Genio C. Scott's "Fishing in American Waters" 1867 edition w/ emphasis on the Elizabeth Islands and West Island Bass Clubs of the period.
4. Jerry Sylvester's "Surf Fishing is Easy" (the title is not accurate though)
5. Ollie Rodman's "The Saltwater Fishermen's Favorite Four (Striper fishing on the Elizabeths in the late 40's.
6. Frank Daignault's "20 Years on the Cape, my time as a surfcaster".

Yours is about the most recent. Most are very old but the information laid out is still relevant and the sport has a history, not much is new to it except for technological advances in gear but the basic facts, baits and lure types have not changed nor have the grounds the fish favor. Most likely someone has been there and done that before and the books listed haver been my most informative reads.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:51 PM

A number of curious things happen in the writing of multiple books. A first book is easier because you have never said anything that is in it before. On the other hand, you lack experience in book writing and can do it more easily in a subsequent effort. When I did Twenty Years I had tested the readership by publishing a six part series in the Fisherman. Once people started saying they liked it, I knew I could go ahead and write the book. Also, my publisher, Tim Coleman, then editor of the Fisherman, was a person I had worked a lot with and we enjoyed a high level of mutual respect. He was both supportive and enthusiastic about the effort. It was he who changed the title from Dairy of a Rod and Reel Commercial to Twenty Years on the Cape: My Time as a Surfcaster. Remember that titles spin off of each other and that the more books you write the more books you sell. You build up a readership.