Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 05-19-2004, 05:59 PM

Great book Frank! Enjoyed reading it very much. The fishing you descibe in Trophy Striper is almost beyond what most surfcasters only dream about. It must have been extraordinary fishing during that period. Only recently have I been using techniques learned from reading your books. So far it has paid off in quality of fish caught. This book has certainly excited me at the prospects of large linesiders that should be available. Keep up the great work!
Old 05-19-2004, 05:59 PM

Great book Frank! Enjoyed reading it very much. The fishing you descibe in Trophy Striper is almost beyond what most surfcasters only dream about. It must have been extraordinary fishing during that period. Only recently have I been using techniques learned from reading your books. So far it has paid off in quality of fish caught. This book has certainly excited me at the prospects of large linesiders that should be available. Keep up the great work!
Old 05-20-2004, 02:34 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Thank you, Fin. That book was written in anticipation of what is happening today. Never mind the old days, we have better fishing today than we ever had back when girls had hairy armpits . Trophy Striper has chugged along, but I often think it victim of the other books. What I mean is when somebody wants a starter how-to book, they buy Striper Surf. Hey, maybe I am competing with myself. On the other hand, spin-offs, where a person likes one book and comes back for another may compensate for that.

Trophy may be too technical in parts which seek to explain the predictable nature of striper sizes through combining young-of-the-year indices with known growth rates. School superintendents do this when planning kindergarten classes. I think those facts go past a lot of readers. On the other hand, I tried to soften it with good stories about big bass so as to appeal to a wider audience -- dumb it down on the outside chance a copy were sold to a boatman who might know how to read. BTW, it is the only book in my stable of six that could inform and entertain boat fishers after stripers. Thanks for saying. I never tire.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:06 PM

I too think that Striper Surf was a great read... thanks a lot Frank!

Two questions though: When do you think we will see another glory age when huge stripers are commonly being caught?? And do think we will ruin it again, or are the right regulations in place to help prevent another "striper depression"???
Old 05-21-2004, 01:07 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Maybe you should have started a separate thread. Management is not going to create a new set of good old days as much as time and reproduction will. If we see as much increase in 50s as last year, 2004 should be an average year in the good old days -- 125 fifty pound plus fish boat and surf. I think it will.

I think that there is an overblown view of the good old days. Some comtemperaries are just wrong. Others seek to trivialize their fathers and uncles, probably because they never knew them. Look at the head thing.

You want to compare last year or this year -- one year -- to 40 past years. Unconsciously, you select one or two of the forty years and forget how unfair you comparison is. Statistically, how could one year ever be better than the forty? Dah.

People love to talk about big bass, but when you write a book about big bass, they walk right past it. All the Trophy Striper is a fact sheet that addresses all the issues of moby stripers. Buy the freakin thing. (Violin, no pity) Where do you think Jailbait got the picture of the two girls with the 60 pounders?