Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default "African blues"?

What do you know, what have you heard about African bluefish on Cape Cod?
Old 07-23-2008, 11:28 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Default Re: "African blues"?

Are African blues different than others? I think they range most of the Atlantic. Do they chant or something to make them stand out from the rest?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:33 AM

bluefish are all over the place, including africa. i forget where, but ive read unconfirmed reports about local african fishermen taking blues well over 30 pounds, maybe past the 40 pound mark. if blues just tend to grow a little bigger over there, maybe some made it over here.... i dunno, i would guess the fish you ran into are just big blues with a fancier name.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:38 AM
SS/Veteran

There use too be a lot of talk of gaint blues in the Azores 25 pound plus fish. Now you don't hear anything. Maybe I'll check it out on the internet.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:06 AM

The late Hal Lyman made reference to very big blues off of Africa in his bluefish book. The record then was from the Azores and when we began taking bigger blues than usual in P-town, late 60s/early 70s, there was widespread belief that they were from Africa. No proof, probably hoakum.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:07 AM

Bet they just grow bigger from the extra food out there...went on a tuna charter last year and ended up near race point catching blues because there were no tuna. These things were bigger than I remember seeing from shore...fat and round and long. Wish I weighed and measured it before it was filleted...
Old 07-24-2008, 10:53 AM

I remember when blues began to be caught in impressive sizes, and somebody came up with the name "African Blues".

Bluefish are bluefish.....they are about as ubiquitous a fish as swims in the world's oceans. Some monsters were reported from the Azores years ago, and that's probably how the name started. Kind of similar to when people who prevaricate are labeled "New York Liars".

I didn't realize that Hal Lyman had passed away.....I talked with him just a year or two ago. A real gentleman.....I once splashed my beer on him at a Sportsman's Show and he didn't even flinch.

CL
Old 07-25-2008, 02:46 PM

Yes, CL, he has been gone 2 or 3 years. I had talked to him a few times in 30 years but I had more contact with Woolner. I think he sort of dabbled with SWS not because he needed the money.

Funny how a person ends up seeing the world with his own limited eyes. My first story was called "Block Island Safari" about the monster blues there that weighed 10 pounds. A year later, when my story came out, I was embarrassed to see high teen blues in P-own. But P-town did have the monsters as all the big Schaefer blues on their reports came from guys fishing there.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:11 PM
SS/Veteran

I fished with Jack Frech one night in the early 1970's and I told him of the huge blues we had been catching in P-town, he was in awe. Jack loved to fish for blues and had a summer house on nantucket. Which is close to P-town but the blues he was catching there were all around 10#s. I can't figure that out. You would think they would be caught every where on their way to P-town.
Just another mystery.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:59 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Al,
I think they are like everything else fish wise. They show up, you catch them, or not....
I have gotten them close to 20 lbs, just hapenend to be at the right place, right time.
I don't enjoy eating them, but, man they are a blast to catch!
Old 07-26-2008, 12:58 PM

I believe that there are more similarities between Nantucket and Montauk than betweeen Nantucket and Provincetown. Nantucket is due east of Montauk, on more or less the same latitude. Nantucket is due south of Provincetown, by about 50 miles. Fish that are caught in Nantucket waters, such as weakfish and bonito.....are rarely seen on the Outer Cape, but are found in eastern Long Island waters.

Could be some water temperature differences that come into the equation, regarding the comparitive bluefish sizes at Nantucket and at Provincetown.

And then again, I remember seeing a picture of some guy with four blues averaging close to 20 pounds, surf caught at Nantucket, back when a 5 pounder was a respectable bluefish on Long Island.

It just doesn't make sense to try to figure this crap out. It's like knocking yourself out searching for special plugs when the real heroes are the bunker chunkers.

CL
Old 07-27-2008, 06:38 AM

Al points to the mystery of them not being anywhere else. That is why many of us thought they came straight across from Africa. Not that I really believe that. It was how we sought to explain nobody else getting these monsters.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:52 PM

The biggest fish I have ever caught on fly gear was a 36 inch bluefish, that probably weighed somewhere between 12 and 15 pounds, and it was pretty emaciated. ALL head, with a pretty impressively large head. Took a half an hour to land, and probably half of that time it was just sitting in one place, with me unable to move it as it held the bottom in a rip current.
It was in September, 5 miles or so up the coast eastward from New Haven around a half mile off shore.
Probably an African Blue :P
Old 07-28-2008, 06:37 AM

I think bluefish should get more respect. They are a marvelous gamefish taht can tow a striper. I like eating them too but like cops and women ....oh, never mind!
Old 07-28-2008, 10:36 AM
SS/Veteran

When you catch gaint blues in the spring they are almost as thin as a eel. Make you think maybe they did come from across the sea. Otherwise they would feed on the way up the coast like all other migrating fish do.