Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:20 AM

Default "Frank" Surf Rods

Seeing the other thread with a similar title made me think, have you ever formally endorsed a product?
Old 08-23-2011, 07:00 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: "Frank" Surf Rods

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

No, over 40 years of writing and I have never been asked.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:06 AM
SS/Veteran

I don't want to seem like a suck-up, and I wouldn't begrudge you the money if you did a deal, but this board, and your books, are much, much better than if you had an endorsement with someone.

The problem when someone makes an endorsement deal is that all of a sudden, that's all the guy talks about. Guy X has a deal with Widget Industries, and someone asks a question about how to get lucky in a Rhode Island gin mill, and Guy X's answer is to buy the Widget 3000 and beat the lucky lass over the head with it. What comes out of the mouths of people without endorsement deals is much more credible than what comes out of the mouths of company shills.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:14 AM
SS/Veteran

It's true. I think Rebel and Luhr Jensen (who make the crippled herring) owe you a bit of money...
Old 08-23-2011, 09:28 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Garrity View Post
I don't want to seem like a suck-up, and I wouldn't begrudge you the money if you did a deal, but this board, and your books, are much, much better than if you had an endorsement with someone.

The problem when someone makes an endorsement deal is that all of a sudden, that's all the guy talks about. Guy X has a deal with Widget Industries, and someone asks a question about how to get lucky in a Rhode Island gin mill, and Guy X's answer is to buy the Widget 3000 and beat the lucky lass over the head with it. What comes out of the mouths of people without endorsement deals is much more credible than what comes out of the mouths of company shills.
x2
Old 08-23-2011, 12:50 PM

All very flattering posts. In fairness, back before girls had tattoes, I used to drop a letter to Jenny Lind Road in Arkansas telling them I needed some more Rebels and they would send a case. Does that count?

I would have liked to have endorsed Penn Reels because they were our go-to reels. It used to occur to me that what would I do if asked to endorse a product that I didn't like. It would have been dishonest to endorse a product that I felt kind of sucked like say a Studebaker for oversand use -- stufflikethat.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:47 PM

I suppose that some endorsments could have been garnered through proposals to the various companies from me. But I think I like being trusted by the surfcasting public and I would be compromising that if I stopped being a Ralph Nader of fishing.

There may not be all that much money in endorsement after all. In fishing most are small companies who have enough pain in just sending you a reel or a bunch of plugs. I remember in the mid-1960s, when Charles Cinto caught the biggest bass in like 56 years, a 73 pounder, he was given a couple of Penn Reels and huge carton of Goo-Goo Eyes plugs, which was the plug he caught the fish on. Rolling his eyes, he told me that he had taken a week out of work at his own expense to tour the shows with the mount of his fish.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:14 PM
SS/Veteran

Your better off..

We have all heard of the stories of professional basketball players that reject the signing of a kids ball because it was not made by the company that pays him megabucks to endorse.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk Surf View Post
Your better off..

We have all heard of the stories of professional basketball players that reject the signing of a kids ball because it was not made by the company that pays him megabucks to endorse.
What you are saying is endorsements have a corrupting influence and I agree. Also, putting me in the same catagory as real sport pros, as implied in this thread, may be a bit of a stretch. No one alive (well maybe Milt Rosko) has written more striper fishing books than I but I never got big enough to quit my day job. I had maybe one year where I knocked off $20 grand between royalties, seminars, article writing and the Striperama Tour. Big fish in a small pond! And I always paid my taxes what with the lesson learned which I wrote about in Eastern Tides. A digression that might teach:

A few years ago I had an editor lose a year of article writing. It was like he put it all down the toilet. Then I had a great idea and sent off a query to SWS, a publication that I had written for 40 years before. No answer. I complained and a junior editor, who I had not written to, said the editor was busy. BUSY? Backing up from my computer, I began asking myself what the phuck I was doing working with people who had no clue about protocols, editing and communication basics. So I packed it in.

Then I began researching our finances and taking a critical look at our lifetime of investments. In one year, very part-time, I raised our annual income by five times what I would have done outdoor writing. By reading an 80 page contract I prevented us from making a monumental Variable Annuity blunder that would have been the mother of all stupids. Tell me, and I'll wait, why would a person want to write fishing articles?
Old 08-25-2011, 06:11 PM
SS/Veteran

I don't know why. You'd have to write a pile off them to make a loving and you'd soend just as much in travel and gear in making them so it just doesn't have a payoff that I can see.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:16 PM
SS/Veteran

Sorry to hear that..I would have thought that it was more profitable.

There seems to be an awful lot of book writing going on these days. Mostly ghost writing ..even for people that are not that very popular or famous. There has got to be a source of financial motivation for them. There are book signing tours, etc..
Your familiar with Huntington, Long Island..
check out thebookrevue.com
The book signing schedule is packed year round. From nobodys.. to has-beens ..to.. past presidents of the United States (and their wives also an employee there told me)
I'm a little confused.
Maybe because fishermen don't have the patience (cough!) to read books..on a super large scale..
Regardless, I think you should be proud of what you've accomplished.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:17 AM

Your perception of an overblown view of book profitability probably springs from authors who make the claim of being overwhelmed with sales in a further effort to self promote. Its a little like the charter skipper we had here a while back who stacked 50 pounders. They are trying to subtley imply they are better than everybody else. It sells books/charters. I know from experience that certain of my titles, like Striper Surf, sell very well; similarly, Fly Fishing the Striper Surf does not. Because of my placement efforts, I get a feel for the speed other titles leave the shelves. They don't. And authors who make these grand tours have wives supporting them or old family money, or both.

Pretend that I am seen in a Cadillac SUV. Surfmen think I am assdeep in money because I am a famous book author. Truth is that two of us combined 60 years in a high paying, demanding profession, stayed together, and got lucky on Hunt Bros silver with some good years on Wall St with Fidelity. Our success had nothing to do with fishing books. But it behooves me to imply, in the subletist of ways, that I am some sort of Tom Clancy of surfcasting. .......Sucker!
Old 08-26-2011, 07:52 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

There are definitely those passing themselves off as 'successful' that are living off other money... no doubt.

Had a deadbeat cousin who was always selling get-rich-quick schemes while his wife worked a real job for 30 years and now they're living off her pension. I never understood how she stayed with him. Guess the s*x was good... otherwise no clue.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:48 PM

Early in any writing career there is a delusional period where you think you are the next Hemingway. You get caught up in seeing your by-line, feature lay-outs, the fun of putting a piece together and cashing the check. One might be inclined to sluff over the reality that those writing checks, assuming you wrote a feature per day, might pay the bills. In fact they don't pay health insurence. Time and experience might take a while to send the message but you soon recognize what it really is and you get real interested in performing better in your day job. Woolner warned me that there were not fifty outdoor writers in the country supporting themselves with a typewriter without being on the masthead of a big magazine. He had it right and that was 40 years ago.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:38 PM
SS/Veteran

I think what woolner wrote still holds true today. The one article I wrote for otw netted 230 bucks with providing two pictures. You would have to be able to churn out articles at a furious pace to make a living. Generating fresh new content would be difficult unless you fished for and knew ever finfish that swims. It was fun but I am not a writer, my grammer, spelling, and vocabulary are limited. Ill stick to fishing!