Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:00 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: "Big Stuff for Stripers"

Todays use of plastics adds greatly to the list of lures available for use. Fifty years ago, we thought we had enough, but in reality there are many more choices available today than back when a darter was a secret weopon.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:51 PM
SS/Veteran

It has always been a fantasy of mine to catch a cow on a livelined bluefish. Not a snapper blue, but more like a 2lb blue that only a 30lb+ striper would go after. One morning I caught a blue about that size and livelined it. I got some weird looks and no hits.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoller View Post
It has always been a fantasy of mine to catch a cow on a livelined bluefish. Not a snapper blue, but more like a 2lb blue that only a 30lb+ striper would go after. One morning I caught a blue about that size and livelined it. I got some weird looks and no hits.
Those things happen and failure to score with the two-pound blue does not prove anything one way or another. I never tried live-lining a two pound blue because that is too good an eating size. Also, the striper coast is full of "weird looks".

Last edited by Frank Daignault : 05-27-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:01 AM

In any inevitable analysis of both Big Stuff and small stuff, remember that for the shore fisherman big offers present challenges that boat fishermen are better equipped to deal with. A large live bait can simply be released over the side; the surf guy, on the other hand, is going to have issues throwing a two pound blue, or Pollock or shad.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:27 AM

Another example of large offers use defeated by shore fishing is the bunker spoon. These things are hammered in boat fishing as a trolling offer. I know they are using smaller versions in shore fishing but it is the bigness of bunker spoons -- serving tray size -- trolled in boats that really brings up the stripers. Shore fishing, overall, the cards are really stacked against you.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Another example of large offers use defeated by shore fishing is the bunker spoon. These things are hammered in boat fishing as a trolling offer. I know they are using smaller versions in shore fishing but it is the bigness of bunker spoons -- serving tray size -- trolled in boats that really brings up the stripers. Shore fishing, overall, the cards are really stacked against you.
Back when I had the center console (I've since come to my senses and returned to the shoreline) I tried bunker spoons. I didn't have much faith in them at first, but once I figured them out....WOW. The darned things attract bass. I can't figure out why, but they do. When fished properly, they thump and swing 2 or 3 feet from side to side. I tried a smaller 5 oz one, cast in the Canal, that didn't work as the downstream traveling current pushed it to the surface and it didn't act the same. I wonder if anyone has ever tried them on a surf beach?
Old 06-03-2015, 03:59 PM

In order to see the shine of bunker you have to be looking down on them, like from a bridge, even at night! Those silver flashes are huge and they throw a lot silver light gathering. I think that is why the bunker spoon is so effective. You have this huge silver flash with the spoon that looks just like real bunkers.

Andrew, regarding your boat fishing, Father Guido Sarducci will hear your confession at 4:00 PM.