Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 06-16-2019, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Fishing Reports Spring 2019

Moco: It was Dawn Patrol Outfront almost to the top of the flood with SSW wind. There was a choppy occasional waist high swell. Worked a mile stretch to top of the slack with no success for several hours, while casting all the options. As soon as the tide changed, I located a hole and began getting taps on the single bucktail hook on a 3/4 once hopkins shorty. The wind switched to the west while I switched out to a 3/8 ounce white bucktail and caught a dozen or more 14- 16 inch short flat ones on the bucktail. They never touched the teaser.. All still swimming.

Happy Fathers day to all!
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2019, 10:24 AM

Visited Navesink River on Saturday for 4th time this season on kayak...6am to 2 pm ..nice and enjoyable morning and windy afternoon...used some live killies and gulp...18 shorts and 19.5" keeper caught in 3ft of water ...go figure...the outgoing tide together with but boat traffic was kind of annoying...it was really treacherous to cross the main channel with boats zipping up and down without regards to any of us little guys..besides fluke I caught a small bass and a sea robin...
Old 06-17-2019, 11:40 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by computeruser View Post
Visited Navesink River on Saturday for 4th time this season on kayak...6am to 2 pm ..nice and enjoyable morning and windy afternoon...used some live killies and gulp...18 shorts and 19.5" keeper caught in 3ft of water ...go figure...the outgoing tide together with but boat traffic was kind of annoying...it was really treacherous to cross the main channel with boats zipping up and down without regards to any of us little guys..besides fluke I caught a small bass and a sea robin...

biggest flounder I ever hooked (note I did not say catch) was in 3 ft of water.

"dropped the bucktail on it's head" so to speak.... after fighting for a while finally got it on the surface and no idea about the weight but definitely bigger than my personal best, which was a 6.5lb 26"-er. I got it to the surface where it sat, stunned, which they do sometimes for a little bit. My son had one shot at it with the net, missed, then it dove and broke the line (which is a whole different topic).

Read a couple of other very shallow water big flundies lately... food for thought
Old 06-17-2019, 03:38 PM

I loved fishing the shallows of BB for fluke and weakies. I use to watch the mob of boats working the channels and I would often head to the shore trim the engines and get in tight. One spot I loved was a cove (not gonna burn the spot) that held allot of baitfish. Bucktail with white grub bounced around the stakes and I had all the fish I wanted out of there. Later in the summer it became unfishable with all the snappers chewing off the grub tails. I got one of my biggest fluke there 7+ and lost one even larger after it wrapped me around a stake. Downside was if the wind was out of the west the flies swarmed once the air temps warmed up. Water depth was no more that 3 feet. I even worked the fly rod allot there too. No big bass but allot of shorts. Blues were fun but had allot of bite offs.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:37 AM

IBSP mid day yesterday. The big blues are still moving through on the bay side. Not as many as I've seen when the bite's hot, but, lordy, are they aggressive. My first bite looked like someone dropped a brick in the water from 20 feet up. It missed, and then proceeded to harry the plug for 4 or 5 more strikes until it inhaled the plug up to the clip. All this in less than 3 feet of water, and it fought like crazy, spending more time above the water than in it. I caught a couple others, one a little smaller and another just a cocktail.

I had 2 rods with me, an 8' plugging rod and the other my Tsunami Slimwave 7' for bucktail / gulp and I landed my first keeper fluke of the year. (special IBSP 16" variety)

It was a good trip and I got back to do some work before heading home for the day.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
IBSP mid day yesterday. The big blues are still moving through on the bay side. Not as many as I've seen when the bite's hot, but, lordy, are they aggressive. My first bite looked like someone dropped a brick in the water from 20 feet up. It missed, and then proceeded to harry the plug for 4 or 5 more strikes until it inhaled the plug up to the clip. All this in less than 3 feet of water, and it fought like crazy, spending more time above the water than in it. I caught a couple others, one a little smaller and another just a cocktail.

I had 2 rods with me, an 8' plugging rod and the other my Tsunami Slimwave 7' for bucktail / gulp and I landed my first keeper fluke of the year. (special IBSP 16" variety)

It was a good trip and I got back to do some work before heading home for the day.
Hey, congrats on a good day! I'll be heading there for a week starting this Friday. I hope to have several good outings. Thanks for the report. I'm going to try for some of those Black Drum that have been in the surf there.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbw252 View Post
Hey, congrats on a good day! I'll be heading there for a week starting this Friday. I hope to have several good outings. Thanks for the report. I'm going to try for some of those Black Drum that have been in the surf there.
The whole island was out of bait Monday. I suppose that vacuum has been filled by now.
PM me if you have any questions...no guarantees on the quality of my answers.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:18 PM
Senior Fellow

One more shot at blues in the Bay at IBSP. Given weather prob Friday. We’ll see what happens
Old 06-20-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
One more shot at blues in the Bay at IBSP. Given weather prob Friday. We?ll see what happens

Hey Bill,
I was there for about 2 hours yesterday mid day. I picked up 3 cocktails and missed a couple more whacks. A trio of guys fishing together (Grandad, Dad and Son) caught half a dozen including one gator. I was throwing my favorite old Atom 3" popper. High tide out back is just after noon, I think, and the I noticed that the fish stopped biting yesterday on the slack tide, as usual.
I love overcast days with a tickle of wind.
Consider throwing something to see if there are any fluke if you have a little spare time, too.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:24 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Hey Bill,
I was there for about 2 hours yesterday mid day. I picked up 3 cocktails and missed a couple more whacks. A trio of guys fishing together (Grandad, Dad and Son) caught half a dozen including one gator. I was throwing my favorite old Atom 3" popper. High tide out back is just after noon, I think, and the I noticed that the fish stopped biting yesterday on the slack tide, as usual.
Consider throwing something to see if there are any fluke if you have a little spare time, too.

on another note, blues usually start hitting poppers in the Navesink on slack

tried for Flounder a few times, been deathly slow in most areas we fish, and those we don't usually fish.

weather hasn't helped... crazy spring so far... and flounder fishing is way off down here.

area where I work got whacked with 4" of rain, many road closures and in backtracking away from the closures passed this one house near a creek... the house had at least 4 feet of water with rollers coming into it from the roiling (usually sleepy little) creek.

was going to go out tomorrow and, of course, its going to blow 25 knots

(edit: of course, this might be favorable conditions for certain times and places... but not for flounder... just sayin' )
Old 06-20-2019, 04:43 PM
Senior Fellow

Quote:
Hey Bill,

Joe...going early out back; poppers for blues; then maybe out front with bucktails and gulp for fluke; the back to poppers;
Old 06-20-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
Joe...going early out back; poppers for blues; then maybe out front with bucktails and gulp for fluke; the back to poppers;
I hope you brought your fowl weather gear. This afternoon looks like it might be a rough ride.... but you probably got home before all this blew up.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:33 PM

Moco Outfront: Its been an epic past few days for me on the fly! yesterday I had a dozen short flat ones and today I stopped counting at 20. Only one was a keeper at 19 inches.
All fish were caught at the top of the tide as it was dropping and in the trough.
I was using a homemade mole crab fly tied with EP crustacean brush fibers with a wood duck feather on top and a small orange bead chain to look like an egg sack. Seriously my best day ever with fluke on the fly. All of them were spitting out mole crabs as they were being released.
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2019, 07:34 PM

Here is a fat 19.
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2019, 08:31 PM
Senior Fellow

Quote:
I hope you brought your fowl weather gear. This afternoon looks like it might be a rough ride.... but you probably got home before all this blew up.
Joe...didn't go today; out early tomorrow....with rain gear