Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:13 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Florida in the Winter!

Frank-

My dream is to one day (soon) become a "Snow-Bird", to travel south for the winter (I hate winter) and be able to fish every day. The problem is my wife seems to dislike Florida for all the wrong reasons (she makes excuses like it's too hot, too much crime or she has nothing to do) and as a result, my daughter and I have gone down for the past 6 years in a row without her. What would you do in this case? Do you have any desire to hit warmer climes in the winter?
My other spot would be Costa Rica. I can't imagine a better way to spend the winter than to have the ability to fish every day in PARADISE! Even if the wind is to bad to get out, there is an amazing, untapped world of "inside fishing" there that hardly anyone even looks at.
After Frank answers, all can lend their opinions on "warmer places"!

JC
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 01-10-2015, 10:46 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Florida in the Winter!

I have never been to Florida but I agree with your wife. There is this inherent paradise notion which started a couple of generations ago where it is cool to be a snow bird. I know my answer is flawed but I think of snakes and gators and Cubans when anyone mentions Florida. Recent temperatures have strained any northener's sentiments but if it is snow or hurricanes, I'll take the snow. Heading south late fall has been happening all around me all my life and I never envied them.

I do appreciate the thread. Good copy, as Woolner would say.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:06 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
I know my answer is flawed but I think of snakes and gators and Cubans when anyone mentions Florida. .
Snakes and gators and Cubans, OH MY!
Well I like all three of those (in some capacity or another) so no problem there. To me it's all about fishing and if I can't have the stuff we have here in the summer (I just can't) then have have to go someplace where I can get "something". Ice fishing does not appeal to me and if there was a strong cod fishery I would surely do that but at best, the cod fishing is "questionable". When cod fishing was "good", the best fish were at least in the high 30 pound class every day. now a 10-12 pound average takes the pool on most party boat trips.
If I'm gonna catch small fish I want a lot of them! Jacks, ladyfish, small sea trout, drums, small snappers, occasional snook and tarpon while the worst of the weather calls for a single sweat shirt. Many times there will be a fish on every cast-I call that fun (at least for a few hours)!

JC
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 01-10-2015, 02:54 PM

It's 81 degrees as I type this (and I'm not fishing only because of lingering car issues).

Hurricane season ends December 1, so you come down after deer season and leave in time for turkey season . My parents have done this for the last 8 years, thus avoiding the harsh snow in the NY mountains and the summer heat here. Best of both worlds, if you ask me.

I'll have more about the fishing here in a later post.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:37 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFla View Post
It's 81 degrees as I type this (and I'm not fishing only because of lingering car issues).

Hurricane season ends December 1, so you come down after deer season and leave in time for turkey season . My parents have done this for the last 8 years, thus avoiding the harsh snow in the NY mountains and the summer heat here. Best of both worlds, if you ask me.

I'll have more about the fishing here in a later post.
Ken-I'll be flying down tomorrow (i will be in Boca for a week). Hook me up!

JC
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 01-10-2015, 04:58 PM

I'm so lucky. My wife loves The Keys. Islamorada and she just booked us, I'll have to figure this out, but I'll probably do one of those flats boats fly fishing trips. Went last year. This might be an annual thing. The best was the bar after the trip with all the other fishermen and captains. What a bunch of characters. The fishing was good mind you, but the bar was better.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:14 PM

Jason, I have no contacts in, or specific info about, Boca. Sails and wahoo offshore, I'm guessing. You're on your own there. Lol.

Where John is headed is more my game (inshore/flats and backcountry). This former surf fisherman doesn't really like more than 10 feet or so of water under him.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:42 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

there are even stripers in the St. Johns.

I'll petition Bob D to set up an "Ask Frank, Florida edition" as soon as JC discovers them and reports back.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
there are even stripers in the St. Johns.

I'll petition Bob D to set up an "Ask Frank, Florida edition" as soon as JC discovers them and reports back.
But Rob, wouldn't they be those impostor stripers--you know, those with the crooked lines?
Old 01-11-2015, 02:16 PM

Actually they are "real" but not sure they migrate for whatever reason.

At least that's what I've read.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:05 PM
SS/Veteran

Let me see, it is the middle of the afternoon here and 17 degrees outside and I am feeding the energy man. It is 79 degrees in Tampa. I should really think hard where I would like to be.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:41 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

I hate to drive and I'm ascared to fly!
Old 01-12-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
take a train
Old 01-12-2015, 10:44 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Frank, I like flying...and I'm afraid of it...but here's how I look at it. In the 80s I read a piece in National Geographic that said (at the time) every year there are between 2 and 6 crashes of a major U.S. carrier... I think the stats have gotten better. If you had up to 6, 747s at 450 passengers each...that's 2700 people a year as a worst case scenario. In a GOOD year, over 40,000 are killed in the U.S. In cars.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:51 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
I have never been to Florida but I agree with your wife. There is this inherent paradise notion which started a couple of generations ago where it is cool to be a snow bird. I know my answer is flawed but I think of snakes and gators and Cubans when anyone mentions Florida. Recent temperatures have strained any northener's sentiments but if it is snow or hurricanes, I'll take the snow. Heading south late fall has been happening all around me all my life and I never envied them.

I do appreciate the thread. Good copy, as Woolner would say.
Simple: Learn the good snakes from the bad, shoot the bad. Gators-shoot on the top of the head, wait a time, cut off the tail and have a gourmet fry and ditch the rest. Cubans, what area close to the city don't you have ghouls? You do know you can buy guns and ammo at tag sales if you have a pulse. Hurricanes: three day shot down and then go on with life.

Here you deal with liberals, lyme disease, and long expensive winters. Your choice.

Getting there as said trains and I will add bus. I would go with the trains.