Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Maine & New Hampshire

Fishing - Maine & New Hampshire Maine & New Hampshire Fishing Reports and Information

Old 08-13-2004, 11:53 AM

We are on our way up to Popham Beach area for a week. Are stripers taking bait and what kind of bait should we use? Where's a good tackle shop in the area?

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:53 AM

We are on our way up to Popham Beach area for a week. Are stripers taking bait and what kind of bait should we use? Where's a good tackle shop in the area?

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:54 PM

mackeral, live, whole, chunk whatever, make sure it's fresh. Sandworms, or bloodworms, are also killer and will catch stripers year round at Popham.
but bring some artificials like big mackeral poppers and spooks, in mackeral patterns, EARLY in the morning; you might get surprised with a major explosion on top, usually the fish tend to be bigger. You won't get that thrill with bait. Try it you'll like it.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:55 PM

I have yet to go to Popham Beach, I've read so many good things. Are there many restrictions to access the area, say in the dead of night?
Old 08-16-2004, 08:26 AM

Thanks for the reply Caynen. Does the tide matter? We stopped by Popham last night around low tide and there were some people on the rocks - and the beach looked very flat. Ranger said you would need a night pass to fish after 8:30-8:45, I think. The gate closes and you need the code to exit.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:22 PM

I think that's the State Park, if you drive out to Fort Popham, I think it's open. Please check first though.
Overall, year-round, the fishing is better on a moving tide in low-light or dark conditions.