Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 11-11-2003, 09:21 PM

God I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here. Anyway, KMB, do you know how the reel seat attaches to the blank? Serious question here. No funnies, no smilies, no nuttin. Do you know?

I think I understand what you are saying - are you indicating that when you load up a rod, the reel seat is askew by a 1/8" ? Or that it twists and breaks?

Oh - forgot to add:

quote:
When you hammer down on a 30+ # bass and your reel breaks loose you wont be happy.
Never heard or seen of this happening except on a POS Kmart crapper 10 years ago...
quote:
This is a problem and it isn't just a St. Croix issue. It happens more on custom rods IMHO. Alot of custom rod builders (not all) are so focused on making the apperance detail perfect that they forget they are building tools not art.
Your honest opinion - in my honest opinion I have not seen it happen from any of the builders I know, including those you mentioned. And you're including customs but your rods are all off the shelf rods? What's the deal?
quote:
There is an old saying auto machanics used to say. "Chrome don't get you home!"
NEVER heard that in my early years working with mechanics

Surfcaster Trapped in a Boaters Body
Old 11-11-2003, 09:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by KissMyBass:
Even if it was only the flex coat cracking that's not they type of grabage I want on my rods. To each his own.

What do you think is holding your guides on---magic dust?

The more you try to prove you know what you're talking about, at least in this thread, the more like a total dilly-dock you look.

The only reasons any reel seat come loose---whether it's a production rod made by St Croix or anyone else, or a custom job, is because someone screwed up letting the epoxy cure correctly, or didn't use enough, or didn't build up the blank with tape if the seat wasn't a snug fit. Because THERE IS NO JOINT WHERE THE GRAPHITE MEETS THE SEAT. The seat is epoxied directly to the blank. If the seat fits snugly, it's epoxied flush, and if there's a gap between the seat and the blank, the builder makes a bushing out of masking tape. It's the way all reel seats are attached, on every rod made, except some cheapo rods companies probably don't take the time and trouble to build up a bushing if the seat doesn't fit snug.

It's been nice playing. Thanks for the laughs but let's get real now.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:45 PM

Where the seat touches the graphite is a joint.
The graphite and seat are 2 seperate materials. I didn't say the ghraphite is two pieces or that it stops at the seat. Stop twisting my words to suit you. Also
Please go back to basic english and learn what a joint is. See definition 2.

Main Entry: [1]joint
Pronunciation: 'joint
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English jointe, from Old French, from joindre
Date: 13th century
1 a (1) : the point of contact between elements of an animal skeleton with the parts that surround and support it (2) : NODE 5b b : a part or space included between two articulations, knots, or nodes c : a large piece of meat for roasting
2 a : a place where two things or parts are joined b : a space between the adjacent surfaces of two bodies joined and held together (as by cement or mortar) c : a fracture or crack in rock not accompanied by dislocation d : the flexing part of a cover along either backbone edge of a book e : the junction of two or more members of a framed structure f : a union formed by two abutting rails in a track including the elements (as bars and bolts) necessary to hold the abutting rails together g : an area at which two ends, surfaces, or edges are attached
3 a : a shabby or disreputable place of entertainment b : PLACE, ESTABLISHMENT c : slang : PRISON 2
4 : a marijuana cigarette
- joint·ed /'join-t&d/ adjective
- joint·ed·ly adverb
- joint·ed·ness noun
- out of joint 1 a : of a bone : having the head slipped from its socket b : at variance 2 a : DISORDERED 2a b : being out of humor : DISSATISFIED

Pronunciation Key

© 2001 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated
Merriam-Webster Privacy Policy
Old 11-11-2003, 09:58 PM

Please go back and learn basic rod building

Old 11-11-2003, 10:03 PM

yea u definetly need to learn some basics....not that I know alot about what im talking about but im not the one acting like a 26yr old know it all that has probably never built a rod and is critisizing someone in the bussiness for probably longer than you have lived, and still his rods have a great reputation...
Tight Lines!
-Vic
Old 11-11-2003, 10:11 PM

KMB - because I'm a nice guy I'm going to show you where you have upgefucht (look that up in the dictionary )

In this picture:
you have clearly placed arrows defining where the thread is wrapped over the ends of the cork tapewhere they slide into the handle. There is NO, NADA, ZERO, KEINE support from that epoxy - it is purely to keep the wraps in place that keep the cork tape in place. Those two shaped foam pieces are purely decorative / ergonomic. They provide NO, NADA, ZERO, KEINE support to the reel seat.

In this picture:
you posted that there is a crack - that crack does not impact the structural integrity of the blank. It is cosmetic and likely happened because they used a cheap epoxy or had a bad batch when they wrapped it.

In your last post you stated that the "joint" is between the handle and the blank yet you continuously refer to and post pictures of the epoxy and foam grips over the cork tape. They are not the same. Please look up "comprehend" in the dictionary.

Old 11-11-2003, 10:14 PM

lol no use john you know you are going to be corrected....you cant win with this dude

Tight Lines!
-Vic
Old 11-11-2003, 10:17 PM
spence

Vic, while you're blowing your wad...don't forget a buck twenty for the PFD. I don't wear mine all the time, but for Rhody rock hopping I feel a lot safer with it on.

And KMB, if it makes you feel any better...my rod builder uses Saran Wrap to build up the joint between the cork and the thread. Seriously

-spence
Old 11-11-2003, 10:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by spence:
Vic, while you're blowing your wad...don't forget a buck twenty for the PFD. I don't wear mine all the time, but for Rhody rock hopping I feel a lot safer with it on.
- I have one too, I have a young son and makes no sense to take unneeded chances

quote:
And KMB, if it makes you feel any better...my rod builder uses Saran Wrap to build up the joint between the cork and the thread. Seriously
I use Drywall tape to build up areas and then fill with epoxy

Old 11-11-2003, 10:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by spence:

-spence

And mine prefers EZ Widers
Old 11-11-2003, 10:32 PM
spence

Given the definition above, I'd say that's for a #4 God I wish I had a number four...

-spence
Old 11-11-2003, 10:34 PM

Yes, Spence, I have a pair of SOSpenders pull inflate with the CO2 cartridge and manual blow up tube from the boat....should I wear them over my aquaskinz jacket? Is it OK if they constantly get soaked?

Tight Lines!
-Vic
Old 11-11-2003, 10:41 PM
spence

Yes, they must be worn over your jacket. As long as they are not the automatic type they can get soaked...

And be sure to dress warm

-spence
Old 11-11-2003, 10:44 PM

got it....no manual, i was considering automatic last year for boat, good thing my dad didn't want to spend the extra $$ (see, my dad is right sometimes...)

Tight Lines!
-Vic
Old 11-11-2003, 10:54 PM
Togalicious Moderator

InShore, do NOT buy the EZ Widers

You're buying alot of stuff based on recommendations from message boards huh? Just remember, the gear doesn't make the fisherman. You do have some nice stuff though.