Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Old 12-11-2014, 10:01 PM

Default Bits

Just wondering, would anyone like to share what kind of drill bits they use for through drilling? I see there hasn't been posts in a while. Just throwing it out there. Are long flute bits easier to use than the regular home depot bits with just the tip fluted?
Old 12-12-2014, 07:14 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Bits

good question, but not sure many plug builders hang out here.

I have no clue!
Old 12-12-2014, 10:41 AM

I use a short bit from each end and then I have 18inch bits I use to enlarge the hole. sometimes if the profile is fat in the middle I need to angle drill to the belly hook hole and with a short bit from each end I can usually get it close to where I want it. then the long bits are more flexible and I can go in from one side and it will bend and catch the hole on the other end and kinda round out the area so the wire goes through more easily. sorry this doesn't really answer your question, when I drill I pull the bit out many times to clean it off so it doesn't start to burn. also the type of wood makes a difference. harder woods like curly maple I do it more often but basswood is soft so it isn't as much of a problem.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:24 PM

dozer, thanks for the tip. I was just wondering how others drill. I start the short bits on both ends and the long one from both sides and try to meet at the hook hole. Everywhere I read said, slower the better. I still get the occasional misfire, which I'm trying to avoid. I have access to a lot poplar and mahogany, I'm guessing they're on the harder side.

Rob, its kinda like my fishing... always in the wrong place..
Old 12-18-2014, 10:49 AM

when I get home I'll post a picture of what I use.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecloud View Post
dozer, thanks for the tip. I was just wondering how others drill. I start the short bits on both ends and the long one from both sides and try to meet at the hook hole. Everywhere I read said, slower the better. I still get the occasional misfire, which I'm trying to avoid. I have access to a lot poplar and mahogany, I'm guessing they're on the harder side.

Rob, its kinda like my fishing... always in the wrong place..
mahogany-Would not use this. Poplar can be used but it must be sealed really really well. I use it because it turns so nice and is available. When I use it I make sure that lure is totally sealed off by the epoxy.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:57 AM

yes slower is better, its not a race, its fun. take your time and clean off the bit often. I have done some plugs with black walnut. it looks amazing when finished but when I turn it the shavings sometimes make my skin tingle or possibly burn very slightly. not sure if this is normal with walnut or am I possibly allergic to it. its a weird feeling and I only get it with walnut. ok yes im a little weird I know but it does burn a little. I prefer the basswood because I can weight it wherever I want without it getting too heavy. I made a mold to pour tail weights for my poppers and stick baits. it makes the long profile plugs sit nose up and when you pop them the nose dives down kinda like walking the dog for freshwater fishing. also they cast great. im just a hobbyist and like just messing around with stuff the real builders have it down to a science with what they produce.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:34 PM

firecloud, I am a forum idiot. so to respond to your message, I made a tail weight mold by taking 2 pieces of angle iron and putting them together back to back. then I selected a drill size that would fit all the plugs I make but was slightly smaller than the tail grommet. drilled at the seam of the 2 pieces of angle down almost to the bottom. then take another drillbit a little larger than the wire I am using and drill the rest of the way through. now take an allen wrench that is just slightly larger than the small hole and when putting the 2 pieces of angle in a vise or clamping them together put the allen wrench in and clamp together. it should stay centered and not move. pour the lead, then work the allen wrench back and forth a little until it slides out. now tap the mold on the garage floor(preferably cement not the family room hardwood floor that would be bad since its still very hot)and the weight pops out. after a few tries it goes very quickly and you will have a neverending supply of weights. to cut them just slide them on a piece of through wire and using cutters cut 2 times at opposite angles gently and the weight will pop apart and you are ready to epoxy in place.