Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > OBX and the Carolinas

OBX and the Carolinas The Outer Banks and all places North and South

Old 04-20-2017, 12:17 PM
Senior Fellow

Default Red Hot

At the risk of turning off what appears to be a red hot bite from Ocracoke to Rodanthe I am headed to Hatteras tomorrow. Big red and black drum, plenty of fat puppy drum, mixed smaller species, a stray cobia and slammer blues are in the surf. Not trying to stir any pots but it is honestly the best fishing that I can recall in recent years. As I said, I am heading over tomorrow so that could change everything....but if you are in striking distance of Hatteras it may be well worth the trip.

Cheers and tight lines,

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 04-20-2017, 01:40 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Red Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestsquid View Post
At the risk of turning off what appears to be a red hot bite from Ocracoke to Rodanthe I am headed to Hatteras tomorrow. Big red and black drum, plenty of fat puppy drum, mixed smaller species, a stray cobia and slammer blues are in the surf. Not trying to stir any pots but it is honestly the best fishing that I can recall in recent years. As I said, I am heading over tomorrow so that could change everything....but if you are in striking distance of Hatteras it may be well worth the trip.

Cheers and tight lines,
awesome... have to keep this in mind for a late April trip down some year.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:49 AM
Senior Fellow

Rob,

What we're seeing now is an above average bite of a greater than normal variety and an earlier than normal cycle. I haven't studied the currents this winter but something(s) was holding the fish along the coast. One very exciting element is the return of big blues to the surf. It used to be a real crowd pleaser on the banks but they haven't been consistent in over 20 years. Now, I understand, they are up and down the coast. I hope they stick around for lot's of fun in the surf. I've seen some 39 inchers that will be 20 lbs+ by fall.

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 04-21-2017, 11:21 AM

The big blues are great to see, I haven't been into 15+ blues in over 15 years myself,
though they have made runs in the local bays a couple of the last few years.

Hope to get out soon to chase them up here. Still a trip down is in my sights "soon", like in a year or 2 max.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:04 AM
Senior Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
The big blues are great to see, I haven't been into 15+ blues in over 15 years myself,
though they have made runs in the local bays a couple of the last few years.

Hope to get out soon to chase them up here. Still a trip down is in my sights "soon", like in a year or 2 max.
Interesting thing is that the big blues are appearing in numbers along their entire Atlantic Coast range. We know from studies that they don't migrate to any extent but rather range from the depths to the coast. Wonder what triggered this?

Old 05-12-2017, 11:12 AM

Food and abundance are the two triggers.

It's been known that bluefish run in cycles, so enjoy the bounty while they're around.

Back in the day, Frank D wrote an article about the exotic "huge" 10lb blues that invaded the Cape. He looked foolish after a couple of years when truly huge gators came in, but the reason he wrote it was they had gone through a down cycle that had lasted a while.

Why? How? Who knows all the factors, but these are the biggest blues south jersey in a very very long time (that is, prior to the invasion 2 years ago and this year's)
Old 05-18-2017, 09:32 AM
Senior Fellow

Things have cooled off some on the Hatteras beach in the last week although another big, 60 lb+, cobia was caught in Buxton the other day. Inshore and offshore boats are having a field day.

Somewhere in my fishing library I have the book "Blues". I will have to read it again to see what it says about cycles. I do recall that the author determined that schools of bluefish have a relatively short north-south range, rather go to the depths to reproduce and tend to migrate east-west. There has been a release citation instituted in NC. I think that is a good thing and may prevent some anglers from keeping fish that they don't intend to utilize.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:00 AM

I had or have Hershey's book on Blues... not sure if it's still on the shelf as I periodically cleanse myself of books.

Here's a noaa paper that discusses the migration patterns (I have NOT read this yet)

http://fishbull.noaa.gov/1044/shepherd.pdf

"
The migration patterns of bluefish
(
Pomatomus saltatrix
) along the Atlantic coast
determined from tag recoveries"
Old 05-18-2017, 11:05 AM

I've, so far, found two references to a Florida migration of the north east stock:

Where found: Young usually inshore spring and summer; moving offshore to join adults in fall and winter; strong migration of northeast Atlantic stock to Florida east coast in winter.

I sort of understood them to head south and out deep, then circle back north deep then hit the shallows, a big circular pattern.

Can't find an easy online picture depicting their migration (whatever its thought to be)
Old 05-21-2017, 09:03 AM
Senior Fellow

Rob, I'll get on it pal! This spring they seemed to hit all of our east coast beaches within days of one another. It MAY have been a bit earlier down south.....but is that water temp related or migration pattern?

I'll be with a marine biologist nest weekend and I'll get his take.