Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Fly Fishing the Salt

Fly Fishing the Salt Questions, answers & tips about Patterns, Lines, Leaders, Rods, Reels, Techniques and how to avo

Old 06-14-2018, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Default Cape Cod

Trying to figure out places in the Cape to Fly Fish. Before June 15th its a breeze, you can almost park anywhere free, residents are friendly, lots open 24/7.

Now I hear the Cape is good ALL summer.

But from what I understand, after June 15th, a switch is thrown. No more free parking or sometimes parking at all, residents are in bunkers in their front yards shotguns waving. It becomes a tourist against resident unless you want to cough up some decent money and grab a $250 room in a hotel/motel on the beach. I don't mind paying a bit to park, but summer months, I guess you have to be a 9-5 fisher when most beach parking is open.

Any input from anyone? Am I wrong?
Old 06-17-2018, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Cape Cod

Come on Uncle Fester, let's wake the dead.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:30 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Come on Uncle Fester, let's wake the dead.
I'm awake! Harding's Beach just west of Chatham has plenty of public parking. A 15 minute walk east will bring you to Stage Harbor Inlet. We've gotten fish there but there can be lots of seals in that inlet also. Harding's Beach itself is somewhat flat, but we've gotten fish there also. Somewhere between that beach and the inlet (closer to the inlet maybe?) there are some nice irregularities/sandbar-ish structure. You'd have to check it out at low tide. You can also fish Stage Inlet from the east/Chatham side. Enter through a nature preserve and walk west. Either approach it's a long walk.
The inside of Nauset Inlet can be good, but even that has a lot of seals now. The ocean side at Nauset I counted over 300 seals on the two mile walk to Nauset Inlet.
We fish other beaches anywhere west of Harding's sometimes near tiny inlets... Parking is for locals, but we haven't had a problem after hours...yet. We're there mostly in May and October though. There are shallow public beaches either side of the Bass River...lots of parking, and even though some signs say otherwise, I haven't had a problem at night. Sometimes I just park far away, and walk far.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:04 AM
Administrator

It an interesting Cape. I was going to head down to Scusset this past Sat for a few AM hours and then go to a seminar at 1, but lost my steam. It would have been a 8 hr round trip in a day and just Sat poolside at home instead.
I am also thinking July and Aug maybe not the best idea.

Thanks for your info, putting in the memory. Joe
Old 07-02-2018, 07:06 AM
Administrator

To add to the above, I have always been a NJ fisher, IBSP 99% of the time and the more I read about the Cape and RI south shore, the more I wished I ventured out more back in years. I did discover Brewster Flats a couple yrs ago, but its NOT a place to venture out on your own.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:37 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Plus when you’re wading up there, you can become shark bait
Old 07-02-2018, 08:31 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Plus when you?re wading up there, you can become shark bait
A lot of these flats are shallow...and seal-less, although, standing on a rock at MV and looking around made me wonder what I'd look like to a great white...and there were a few seals there, but out aways. I had a guy in Florida tell me not to wade too deeply in low light because of bull sharks occassionally taking a taste.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Gents, I was in a black wetsuit walking a good 1/2 mile out to this cut a lot of folks fish. I was walking in waist to chest deep water. Trust me, sharks, while i was told do not frequent the area, WERE on my mind.

I believe this was close to the time a couple of kayakers up at Plymouth were dumped from there kayaks by a shark.

But it was neet to watch that chest deep water,,, go away. A sand walk all the way in.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:04 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

If I was waist to chest deep at night anywhere up there, sharks would be on my mind.

Bull sharks are more prevalent down south, but they can run up this ways as well. Just not as common.

I remember visiting the cape with a friend the summer Jaws came out, when we visited a swimming beach on a hot July day, we stood on a bluff overlooking everyone up and down the beach and noted NO ONE was swimming.

Granted, it's a colder ocean than NJ etc. BUT we didn't see a single person, mid day, standing more than say knee deep. Folks were just diving under a wave and walking back up on the sand.

Frank D always chided googans about being afraid of the dark, but in certain situations, dark=shark always comes to mind
Old 07-27-2018, 03:46 PM

Rob, I remember putting my foot in the water at Nausset Beach and noticing that my testicles retracted so fast they knocked the wind out of my lungs. Nobody in the water was the rule for survival without mentioning sharks of any description. Now I can watch videos from a week or two ago of Great Whites silhouetted in the waves or popping up a dorsal fin within a frisbee throw of the beach. Wade in the dark up to my chest... no thank you... unless there are stripers busting.