Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:00 PM

Default Re: This was a Shock!

Hook
That is a great book to keep around just for the times when the bass head north out of NY/ NJ range or in the winter doldrums. The opening with Sax migrating is a fun read.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
I don't think any man on the street can tell us where Maratime stripers actually come from. If your buddy doesn't know and sceintists in the business don't know it would take a lot of competent research to determine that. I'm always spouting about DNA studies but that might not be something that can be determined.
From what I have read here and elsewhere, I would imagine that the Canucks would rather annihilate them rather than study them. Eating all those salmon eggs and fry, what a problem ! Still it would be interesting.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:46 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG@Breezy View Post
Hook
That is a great book to keep around just for the times when the bass head north out of NY/ NJ range or in the winter doldrums. The opening with Sax migrating is a fun read.
Hi Joe Hope all is well , Our buddy turned me on to it a few years ago for purchase @ the NJ fly show . Worth every penny .
Old 07-13-2018, 07:53 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookI View Post
Your very own ( Ma) Rich Murphy has a book out that is one of the most complete book about Striped Bass that I have read and I have not read all of them . Encyclopedia status I?ll say .

is that the "striper on the fly" book?
Old 07-14-2018, 09:03 AM

Rob
"Fly Fishing for Striped Bass", Rich Murphy...Wild River Press, 2007
Old 07-14-2018, 01:46 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
is that the "striper on the fly" book?
@ the show has them for sale at $20 , I gave a few out as gifts
Old 07-14-2018, 07:32 PM
SS/Veteran

Guys, this is supposed to be about Maritime Stripers. If you want to promote someone else's book please start a new thread.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:55 PM

Ooops ! As we were about to add .....hold on, I'll think of something...............
Seriously though, isn't it possible that stripers have always been there and have only recently been able to breed in numbers, survive and compete in those locations ? Maybe growing salmon populations would trigger a spurt in stripers, that is if salmon numbers are increasing.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:11 PM
SS/Veteran

Salmon and striped bass have always coexisted in the same waters, but they tend to prefer different habitats and generally overlap only during limited time-periods (such as late May and early June when striped bass spawn at the head of tide and salmon smolt are migrating downstream to the ocean).
Old 07-17-2018, 10:30 AM
SS/Veteran

This burst level of Maritime stripers is a new event. Sure they had a striper here and there but not like today. Maritime salmon fisherman are panicked over this situation because it is way out of the ordinary in numbers. Hate to say this here but salmon is a way more important fish than the striper. I have fished for both, keep in mind.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:12 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
This burst level of Maritime stripers is a new event. Sure they had a striper here and there but not like today. Maritime salmon fisherman are panicked over this situation because it is way out of the ordinary in numbers. Hate to say this here but salmon is a way more important fish than the striper. I have fished for both, keep in mind.
Frank, I'm gonna ask you your definition of "important"...and here's why...
I've read lots on both species over the years (and no, I don't think I "know it all" because of that ). My take on it is that salmon have been highly revered for a long time. Most probably fly fish for them in both North America and Europe (Iceland, Scandinavia etc.). There are very expensive lodges, guides etc. associated with that. Stripers on the other hand, are accessible both geographically and financially to far more people. Short drives on lunch breaks (for some) can get you bass, and with a relatively inexpensive spinning outfit (compared to an average salmon-capable fly outfit). Almost their entire range is near much larger population centers than the Atlantic Salmon...way more accessible to the common man. On top of that, think of all the charter/guide services and party boats (I know... I shouldn't say the "b" word...). My take is that both fish are very important but in very different ways.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:48 AM
SS/Veteran

True, "both fish are very important but in very different ways." What I want to impart in this thread is that we are obliged to acknowledge the cultural ties Atlantic salmon have regionally in the Maritimes. It would be ethno-centric for us to fail to appreciate how important salmon are to the Maritimes angler.

We have a lot of that on this site. People who don't hunt/shoot disapprove of hunting and shooting. We are obliged to think of other points of view and not be like modern day liberals and/or the Boston Globe
Old 07-18-2018, 12:29 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
True, "both fish are very important but in very different ways." What I want to impart in this thread is that we are obliged to acknowledge the cultural ties Atlantic salmon have regionally in the Maritimes. It would be ethno-centric for us to fail to appreciate how important salmon are to the Maritimes angler.

We have a lot of that on this site. People who don't hunt/shoot disapprove of hunting and shooting. We are obliged to think of other points of view and not be like modern day liberals and/or the Boston Globe
I agree. Maybe another way I should look at this is some formula that involves salmon, number of anglers, area (square miles) of fishery...things like that.
An example of a microcosm of the striper and salmon geography/dynamics/populations etc. would be N.Y.'s Salmon River. From September to May (especially Sept-Dec) the village of Pulaski thrives on the salmon, brown trout, and steelhead fishery. Summers all of the action is in the lake and marinas. The villages on the upper Salmon River (Pineville, Altmar) go to sleep.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:51 AM
SS/Veteran

The original discussion was contrasting Atlantic salmon and stripers because those are the two species with which the Maritimes are conflicted. Bringing coarse Pacific salmon which are trolled, jigged and spin fished elsewhere should not be included in the Canadian fishery about which we are talking. What I want members here to understand is that there can be other fisheries, in different parts of the world, that are important to their own region. It would be improper for us to tell Canadiens what they should think is important to them. If they prefer Atlantic salmon, who are we to tell them otherwise? That their fishery is fly fished by tradition is also their choise.

Atlantic salmon in the Maritimes is a long appreciated part of the culture and we cannot, nor should we want to, change it to our preferences.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:13 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
The original discussion was contrasting Atlantic salmon and stripers because those are the two species with which the Maritimes are conflicted. Bringing coarse Pacific salmon which are trolled, jigged and spin fished elsewhere should not be included in the Canadian fishery about which we are talking. What I want members here to understand is that there can be other fisheries, in different parts of the world, that are important to their own region. It would be improper for us to tell Canadiens what they should think is important to them. If they prefer Atlantic salmon, who are we to tell them otherwise? That their fishery is fly fished by tradition is also their choise.

Atlantic salmon in the Maritimes is a long appreciated part of the culture and we cannot, nor should we want to, change it to our preferences.
I agree...100%...
I only mentioned Pulaski as an example of a fishery (that I've personally witnessed) that has a huge impact on the economy.
Salmon and stripers...hugely important in two different areas. The problem is where the areas of fishery overlap start to negatively affect one of them.