Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Fly Fishing the Salt

Fly Fishing the Salt Questions, answers & tips about Patterns, Lines, Leaders, Rods, Reels, Techniques and how to avo

Old 06-17-2018, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Default NJ Fly Fishing

So, I have my fly Rods, really love getting out back in the sedges, take the 2 hander out front but, really want to try other places.

What's these places they call Sandy Hook, brigantine and another that's called LBI... Hmm, any fly fishing opportunities thats NOT heavy surf in the unknown places.

My truck has always had an IBSP buggy permit on it and refuses when I head down to Jersey to go anywhere else. Maybe it's time to explore, not looking for any spot burning but, are there no FF areas in the other places.

Info would be great. Thanks
Old 06-18-2018, 07:10 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: NJ Fly Fishing

Forget Brigantine or the prime Sandy Hook area (the walk to the false, true hook and backside) until the fall after the plovers leave...uh, I mean after they take down the fences. Flyfishing the surf is actually good for flatties... but you have to pick your times. Inlets at Shark River/ Belmar, Manasquan, provide flyfishing opportunities.
LBI has old barny lighthouse which I'm told is a very good flyfishing place, though I've not been there.

Flyfishing down here is a boat game for the most part, especially hitting sods. Not too many areas on foot south of LBI. There is a spot on the Somers Point/Ocean City bridge where you can access 2 islands in the bay and some of the guys from our club go there from time to time. Also, Corsen Inlet State Park has a back estuary where we've had our flyfishing club outings, yields the usual fare of small resi stripers, blues, weaks, flatties from time to time. Gets crazy busy with jetskiers and boat traffic in the summer, but early dawn or after sunset things settle down, and there is a parking area with good foot access. It's actually my favorite foot-only flyfishing area.

Jetties in Longport (short jetty, and a walk to the long jetty... parking is always an issue as everywhere along the jersey coast) both are good flyfishing spots. Have done ok there.

That's as much as I know (rather am willing to type) right now
Old 06-18-2018, 07:16 AM

Jim Freda's book Fishing the Jersey Coast... https://fishermansheadquarters.com/f...-by-jim-freda/
Old 06-18-2018, 07:20 AM
Administrator

I remember when my father started me fishing salt water, gee, 50yrs ago, there were 2 places, no 3, places we always hit I liked so much.

Dad's place, just outside Wildwood (where we always stayed) we learned crabbing there. (Dad and I learned most of our SW fishing together) Then heading north on the road that crosses the bridge by Dad's place, maybe up a bridge or 2, there was this outlet with parking, back then, sandy and fished around the bridge.

Then when we became REAL surfcasters, and that's a story among itself, we used to fish spittin distance north of Sea Isle City, dang flat beach and from what I remember,,, Weaks or Kingfish?
And thats is where it all Started for me, after using all the wrong equipment for a year, we discovered surf rods....
And now, I try to do it with a fly rod, dad would love to see that.

That was some good area down that way.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:09 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Jim Freda's book Fishing the Jersey Coast... https://fishermansheadquarters.com/f...-by-jim-freda/
very good book indeed for the traveler of NJ
Old 06-18-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I remember when my father started me fishing salt water, gee, 50yrs ago, there were 2 places, no 3, places we always hit I liked so much.

Dad's place, just outside Wildwood (where we always stayed) we learned crabbing there. (Dad and I learned most of our SW fishing together) Then heading north on the road that crosses the bridge by Dad's place, maybe up a bridge or 2, there was this outlet with parking, back then, sandy and fished around the bridge.

Then when we became REAL surfcasters, and that's a story among itself, we used to fish spittin distance north of Sea Isle City, dang flat beach and from what I remember,,, Weaks or Kingfish?
And thats is where it all Started for me, after using all the wrong equipment for a year, we discovered surf rods....
And now, I try to do it with a fly rod, dad would love to see that.

That was some good area down that way.

There is a boat guide in Stone Harbor who specializes in backbay light tackle fishing, and flyfishing.

When not taking folks for summer sheapshead and triggers, he takes folks out on the flats, daytime, for resident stripers, flyfishing and light tackle.

He actually has a flats boat and poles over the shallows allowing sightfishing and directed casting opportunities. When not actually seeing fish, there are seams, sods, and potholes (open sand spots in the back weed beds) that allow you to ambush game fish on either spinning or better fly tackle.

It's a cool game, and he's the only one I know of doing this down there, certainly the only guide (saw another flats boat up in our area one time... setup very similar to Dan's... poling platform and push pole and everything)

Last edited by RobS : 06-19-2018 at 06:41 AM.