Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:17 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Stupid, Non-Fishing, Odds and Ends ...

I watch it also, actually I use it often when I an away from the computer to just keep from getting booted. It would be nice to see a tape measure glued to one of the poles just to get an idea of the size of the deer. I have heard that NJ deer are small but very plentiful.
By the way that little scutter born late this year sure is a hoot to watch. You can almost hear his mother yelling at him.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

WE have been turkeying for over a week and have not seen a single tick. Our guess is that the drought hurt the tick activity. Poor little buggahs.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:57 PM

My sister owns a house on Fire Island, and we occasionally visit her there. I guess there's no deer season on Fire Island, because the deer brazenly walk around the villages in groups all day long. They are average size deer, some big bucks mixed in.....and they will eat out of your hand. Everybody's flowers are fenced in, because they will come into your yard and walk right by you with barely a glance and eat whatever is out there. My visits usually last about a week, and in that time we see hundreds.

A few days ago, I saw a huge herd of turkeys alongside Route 6 in Truro.....must have been 30 of them. I see them often and they always seem to be all females. Hardly ever see any guys. What's up with that?

CL
Old 10-16-2007, 09:10 AM

Any turkey hunter can explain that: large groups of turkeys are hens with this year's poults born June and July. The hens also utilize an auntie system where two or more adult hens will share in the raising of the young. Bein' as a hen can have from say three to 12 chicklets, it is not uncommon to see two hens with 20 poults or three and 30. The males, the gobblers, are somewhat reclusive and tend to buddy up with other males (presumably to shoot pool, smoke and lie about their sexual prowess). Don't worry the braggards are out there and they will be looking for hens to sign dance cards come late April.

The Long Island deer present a common delemma where hunting is not a feasible alternative in the reduction of their numbers. Archery is thought to be the only remianing reduction option but even that is not legal in many places and the arrow is not all that effective a tool. It is harder, less range, and requires a tree stand which is not a viable alternative for many hunters.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:56 AM

We are hunting turkeys part time right now and doing some fishing. But in two weeks, when we start firearms deer, I may not be as attentive to stripersurf wht with most of a day in the woods, cutting meat, and handling routine chores -- an exciting time of the year for us. Way back I used to shut down here for hunting season but that is not really necessary I have learned. Most of you won't even notice a difference.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:18 AM

These are memorable times for greater Boston sports fans. Undefeated Patriots and the Sox in the series. My wife, who can tell you the line-up, batting order, averages and salary of all on either team, is so horsed that she can't sleep at night. She is going to need tranqs come deer season.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:24 PM

Late sports nights are going to kill us all. Normally, my high school sweetheart and me are in bed at 8:00 PM. So we go out to the local gin mill for an antipast and Octoberfest brew and really stretch things out. Come home and do like a snootful of Manhatttans waiting for the game to start. We are more bored than a gay sailor in Panama so I says to my girl, "girl, let me see what they are doing at stripersurf.con." "Zzzzzzzzz" Now, this is a woman who reads and memorizes all the top columists int he Globe sports section dead to the flipping world. So much for the world series. Next time around I'm going to marry a girl who is not an athletic supporter.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Simple soloution to that, just dont watch sports... I cant remember the last time I watched a full game of ANYTHING, but it was probably back in the mid 90's, hockey, when my kids were involved in it, and I used to follow the pro teams. I just cant get worked up over any pro sports anymore...
Old 10-28-2007, 11:53 AM
SS/Veteran

"I just cant get worked up over any pro sports anymore..."

I agree and in my opinion it is all about money. Take a large chunk of money buy the right players, figure income receipts and you are good to go. Of course if you loose money you can just write it off on taxes. The thrill of the game is just gone--at least for me.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:21 PM
SS/Veteran

Cool Re: Stupid, Non-Fishing, Odds and Ends ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
"I just cant get worked up over any pro sports anymore..."

I agree and in my opinion it is all about money. Take a large chunk of money buy the right players, figure income receipts and you are good to go. Of course if you loose money you can just write it off on taxes. The thrill of the game is just gone--at least for me.

Got to go with you on that one Merlin.

Last week I was at BOTH the new Yankee and Shea Stadium sites on business , fully knowledgeable that I, a mere plebian, will not be able to afford tixs to games at EITHER new stadium with my family and as I don't have cable TV (other than for basic reception...don't have this, and you are watching the radio) will be excluded by the YES channel and what will emerge on cable to help the Mets pay for their new stadium.

So I follow my sons HS baseball and American Legion and Fall teams, and catch my beloved Oklahoma Sooners when they are on TV.

Don't look for me walking around in a Pro baseball or football jersey...just doesn't happen. I collect college baseball shirts and wear them.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:37 AM

The best place to see pro sports is home, what with instant replay and camara lens that put the play in your face. I think sports add a dimension to a person's life but only if they are open to it. Myself, I had to meet my wife half way because she has always done that for me and now I like it. Also, we have become incresingly anti-social and, with age, seek out more reasons to stay home.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:28 PM

Anti-socialness has its benefits.....if more fishermen were anti-social, I would probably still be fishing seriously.

I wonder if there's an anti-social club I could join? Wait, that doesn't sound right.

CL
Old 10-30-2007, 08:53 AM

I sometimes think it is me but people don't seem to get it. A few years back a guy tailgaiting me for miles hit the back of my buggy at an intersection. We were going hunting and our rifles were right there in a window rack. He was getting ready to assault me, which would have been a felony, and my wife could have splatted the guy all over the street. They drink beer from the bottle which is not kept clean like a glass would. They talk on the cell phone at the most unopportune times -- men's room stalls, flying across a shopping mall; participate in a 50% divorse rate, do jail time for non-support. I'm afraid of people! And these are the responsible ones.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:53 PM

Yesterday AM I had an owl in a tree about 12 feet away from me looking at me, blinking his eyes. He had some sort of curiousity about me but was unafraid. Now and then he would turn his head to look around and could turn, first one way, then the other, exhibiting at least 340 degrees of vision. It made me wonder if it hurt his neck to be able to train in such a near perfect circle. He had a gray face, looked catlike inspite of his feathers.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:18 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Jo bought me one of those owl decoys years ago when I lived on the water. Everyone had them to scare the seagulls away. I thought it was cute, and didn't think much of it. Kept the seagulls at bay, but the ducks and swans didn't mind it. Scared the snot out my cat for awhile, but he got used to it. I did see a real owl fly up the lagoon late one night, and hang out in a neighbors sailboat mast, rotating head and all...