Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Stupid, Non-Fishing, Odds and Ends ...

This is not a private thread, bouys and curls. If you have a stupid non fishing that is okay.

I like McDonalds and burger King also. I know, yuz are going to put up the puke symbol but you are just bitter because you can't find a place to park.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:28 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

I don't go to McD's... every few months I forget and out of desperation go there and remember why.

BK is eh, ok, once in a while.

I have other vices, both those aren't them

SPAM??? bleah. I'd rather eat beets, which I despise as one of the foods God gave us as part of the curse.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:30 AM

I also eat bluefish. I finally got one last night. What I did was put a wire leader on my fly this time. Bad thing about an edible was that it was kind of big, around 10/12 pounds.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:40 PM

I enjoy fresh bluefish once I've had a fresh fish drought. The second time I eat it, I don't like it.

Spring time blues taste better than the Fall... to me.

Smaller is, of course, better, with small rXXXXs (this word supposed to be "r a c e r s" ) being my favs. Maybe 1-3lb or so.

As an aside, my daughter interning for NOAA ate a peanut bunker on a dare. Said it was just a bit salty
Old 09-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
As an aside, my daughter interning for NOAA ate a peanut bunker on a dare. Said it was just a bit salty
Rob,
That isn't the one that wound up with my grill is it? If so, I can understand why she didn't replace the bars... Good for her! I hope she is enjoying the internship! The grill too...
Old 09-03-2008, 02:33 PM

No, Bob, different daughter .... The grill went to my oldest. My youngest did the internship last summer with NOAA... loved it.. got paid to fish among other things

Oh yeah, Frank, my youngest mentioned she was thinking about joining the Coast Guard to be outdoors.

Any thoughts (actually from Frank or Ragman ) on this?
Old 09-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

[quote=RobS;2294087]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
No, Bob, different daughter .... The grill went to my oldest. My youngest did the internship last summer with NOAA... loved it.. got paid to fish among other things

Oh yeah, Frank, my youngest mentioned she was thinking about joining the Coast Guard to be outdoors.

Any thoughts (actually from Frank or Ragman ) on this?
Rob,
If she likes the water and helping people, nothing better than the Coast Guard. She does have to remember that she might not be sent to where she really wants to go... If she is still interested, I'll ask my son about how to get in touch with a recruiter locally to get more info.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:10 PM

We've had three kids in the CG. One enlisted during the Vietnam War in the north Pacific flying as a dropmaster to resupply Aleutian bases. One of the twins was a junior officer after graduating from MMA and now is a civilian employee of the CG. Sue did her six years stint on active duty after the Academy and has been activated any number of times during her 25 years in the reserve. A Captain now, Sue is married to the CG and has been treated well. The USCG is a club. I would recommend it as the best choice for anybody who wants to do good things and be recognized for doing those things. semper paratus!
Old 09-03-2008, 03:54 PM

I'll pass along your input to her.

Thanks Frank, Bob!
Old 09-05-2008, 09:30 AM

Anybody who enjoys eating fish and goes fishing where you have too many today and non tomorrow, read January, should shoot the hundred bucks for a vac-seal. It changes everything in our customs regarding freezing and eating fish. You can eat a quantity of your catch in the off season, a time when you would most appreciate it. I do not work for vac-seal, don't get anything from them, and don't evne know how to contact them and don't care. I am working for you.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:14 AM
SS/Veteran

I spent 4 years in the USCG and it was a great. One of the best things I've ever done.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Anybody who enjoys eating fish and goes fishing where you have too many today and non tomorrow, read January, should shoot the hundred bucks for a vac-seal. It changes everything in our customs regarding freezing and eating fish. You can eat a quantity of your catch in the off season, a time when you would most appreciate it. I do not work for vac-seal, don't get anything from them, and don't evne know how to contact them and don't care. I am working for you.
A thing I learned with the vac-seal is not to reuse the bags more than once They claim you can wash them and re use them, but I found after spending some time in the freezer after the first use, they dont hold a seal as well. Not only good for fish, but buying meat at the grocery store in bulk. I read an ad recently that they have come out with one for game sized cuts of meat for the hunters. Looked a bit wider than the regular ones, guess for roasts and such...
Old 09-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALB31 View Post
I spent 4 years in the USCG and it was a great. One of the best things I've ever done.
My son also said the same thing after 4 years. If the pay had been a little better, he probably would have stayed. I think after he done with his probationary period in the police dept he is working for now, he will probably go back into the Reserves. I think he misses it...
Old 09-05-2008, 07:07 PM

An inexorable connection takes place in the CG. I was Navy reserve for 8 years but once I got connected with JOyce I feared being called back. I was gung hoh but all connected with education, college and it became too much. I think CGers are heroes and I saw it flirst hand and wrote about it in Eastern Tides. Given the chance most Americans are marines, life savers, soldiers, and airmen. When I was a kid on liberty in DC, I never had to pay for a drink. Even had to endure a pissin war where two guys in a gin mill fought over buying me one. I tried to tell them I would drink them both but it was too late.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:56 PM

My grandfather sailed the south Pacific, Fiji Islands and what not, during WWII. He loved it and told us stories my whole life. If two guys fought over buying me a drink I don't know how I would react.
When in the Lord's great landing net, And peacefully asleep
That in His mercy I be judged, Big enough to keep.
-Author Unknown-