Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:57 AM

Default Re: Fly Fishing and Women

I'm not proud, I'll take all the help I can get
Old 01-28-2015, 05:47 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_P View Post
https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnpm...57648238600430

They need a little icon thing to help embed an image, but here's s shot from the Somerset show. (Orvis seems to be quite interested in marketing to women)

I rest my case!

JC
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 01-28-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_P View Post
I'm not proud, I'll take all the help I can get
Great shot John P, captures it perfectly. Also note the age of those ladies. They have a lot more years of fly fishing in them. It's good to see I was not the only one at that show having this epiphany ( a stretch I know ). Anyway, I love having women in the sport, be it fly or surf. They are just as smart, more often more sensible and very competitive when they're up against us old dogs.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:01 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

For a woman to survive in what remains largely a man's world, a certain skill is required and as years go by more and more women are responding to it favorably. Our culture still needs work but as the Old Guard dies off it will become easier for women to achieve equality. Right now, there is a large segment of male Chauvanism that is never going to change.

Maybe, and I know I don't know everything, fly fishing is popular with women because the men in it exhibit a higher level of intellect.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:45 PM
SS/Veteran

In September and October on the Salmon River, I see a number of women, all who seem to be with a male counterpart. All the women I've seen in the fly only/c & r areas seem to know how to cast and dead-drift a fly very well. The men they are with seem to know what they're doing also. There are men in the fly/c & r areas who know NOTHING about handling fly gear...they use a fly rod to legally fish another area.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:08 AM

All cultures, from Tanganyika to the Salmon river, if something can be done it is done whether they are men, woman, fly fishing or bait fishing. People seek to get around things. Moreover, there are different skill levels. And there are variable levels of patience in dealing with it. I keep my eyes front, mouth shut and hide my buggy.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:32 PM

Good advice. Would not want to let those women see that buggy.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:07 AM

I didn't mean it that way. But if something is secret then wouldn't we want to protect it from women as well?
Old 02-05-2015, 12:35 PM

No discussion of fly fishing and women is complete without a bow to Joan Salvato Wulff, who was National (fly) Casting Champion from 1943 to 1960 against all-male competition and has a 161-foot cast to her credit. In addition she started a fly fishing school, wrote three books and numerous magazine articles about fly casting, and developed and manufactured many fly fishing products which are still in use today. When IGFA inducted her into their Hall of Fame they said "No other person has impacted fly fishing or influenced generations of anglers more than Joan Salvato Wulff." I was fortunate to be acquainted with her when I used to attend sportsmen's shows for SWS.

Today I know half a dozen female fly fishers who are as good or better than any of the guys.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinglsister View Post
I rest my case!

JC
I can tell you, they were clearly all having a good time! I try to avoid the cranky types these days.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
I didn't mean it that way. But if something is secret then wouldn't we want to protect it from women as well?
I was just poking fun at all of us in as much as our buggies are all less than woman friendly. Unless the women in question are really outdoor officianados.
As for secrets, they are no longer secrets when you tell someone.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:35 AM

Life experiences do influence our behavior. My life on the Cape taught me that you are often watched. Just removing a foul hooked skate can bring down a swarm of snoops. We had no peace on the Cape but we do have it hunting off Cape. I might be paranoid but it costs nothing to be careful and not bring attention to one's self.

More to the thread -- Women Fly Fishing -- I think they are good for fly fishing and fishing in general. The more people enjoying the outdoors, the more support fishing gets for the future of something we all appreciate. Women are the greatest untapped resource and the industry people know it.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:29 AM

Agreed 100%. just YouTube search, Joan Wulff, April Vokey etc. I was amazed ( well at least encouraged ) when I did.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:37 PM

Joan Wulff is a resource for the fly fishing world because she is an example of how much women can do for the advancement of sport fishing. I wanted to reflect upon her more when Tin Boat mentioned her but I felt that she deserved more of my attention than I could give her at the time. That she was paired with Lee Wulff was an enormous plus for everybody. What I am saying, albeit short of what they both deserve, is that with them you have two great industry leaders contributing to fly fishing.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:53 PM
SS/Veteran

As her children started growing up, my sister, Mary, began to fish again after a many year layoff. I told her that I thought she'd like fly fishing and tying...she's very good at crafts. I showed her some basic fly tying principles and a few patterns. A few months later she sent me gurglers, nymphs and muddler minnows that used dubbing and spun deer heads...she does a nice job. She learned to cast...including double haul...from books and videos. Her idol? Joan Salvatto Wulff.