Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:49 AM

Default Most Humane to kill fish?

What is the easiet way to humanely kill a fish? (that you are going to eat...) I might go trout fishing soon, and then even striper fishing. Everytime I catched something before, I used to leave them to suffocate, which I know now is not humane at all. IT'S SLOW TORTURE..I saw people do this often so I assumed it was okay. One humane way is to hit it with a priest...would that work fast? Also, something suggested alcohol in the fish's mouth or in the cooler/bucket, and that would cause immediate heart failure...Any ideas
Old 04-21-2007, 11:47 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Most Humane to kill fish?

I have seen trout fisherman hold the fish with one hand around the body and with the other hand (palm) push up under the chin and break the neck.

With any larger fish I would imagine the best way is to cut with a knife behind the head straight up to the the back bone but leaving the head attached in case the law man wants to measure etc.

I am fighting the urge to say the grille or oven works well. Give me credit for not saying---oops I did already!
Old 04-21-2007, 11:55 AM
NJBBA, Capt. Team SS, SS/Insider, SS/Platinum

"Humane Kill". Oxymoron. Contradiction of consecutive words. Fish aren't human. Just remove them from the water and learn to deal with it.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Senior Member Team SS

Just smack it in the head and put it on ice is always another choice

vinny@stripersurf.com
Old 04-21-2007, 12:15 PM
SS/Veteran

Unzip it from the vent through the throat and gills, pull out gills and inerds. Dead instantly. The heart comes with everything else. Bye bye fishy, hello dinner!!!

Ice the cavity immidiately.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:12 PM
SS/Insider

Local Agriculture teacher raises Tilapia from egg to harvest size each year
. Instructs the students the best way to harvest (kill for consumption) is to place fish in container(cooler) surround with ice. He says that the body functions slow to a stop or close to it. Students head,gut,filet or scale if they chose to cook whole. He says; "The Ice Method".
Didn't ask what they do with those cute little calves...
Old 04-21-2007, 02:08 PM

I also do a lot of spearfishing, and when you shoot a big fish it becomes necessary to kill it quickly or it will pull you down toward the bottom (not the place where you want to be unless you are using scuba gear). Most of the guys I know including myself use a knife or ice pick to the fishes brain. Normal fillet knives are too thin however, and may break.

When on my boat or from the shore however, I just land the fish either by hand or gaff, and it goes right into the icebox. I don't really think about it.

If you don't worry about pulling a fish several hundred feet through the water and surf by a sharp piece of metal that has been impailed through its mouth (or sometimes throat), then the idea of a painless death seems kind of pointless to me.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:40 PM

Hit it on the head with what ever you have on hand, instant death.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:38 PM

This may be the antithesis of what your looking for but I alwayse bleed the fish so the fillets stay nice and clean from blood when I'm filleting the fish .

The literature I've read says that bleeding to death is a quick euphoric method of death??? Can say by experience obviously LOL.

Making a slice through the membrain behind the gill plate deep enough to hit the big artery will cause it to bleed to death very quickly and you get nice clean meet.

Armand
Old 04-22-2007, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Popper View Post
This may be the antithesis of what your looking for but I alwayse bleed the fish so the fillets stay nice and clean from blood when I'm filleting the fish .
yeah man, I agree especially with Bluefish. You have to bleed them immediately - it will make them taste much better.

otherwise I'm a big fan of just clubbing the fish with some hard object or stick. That normally does it instantly.

I never let my fish suffocate - that just sucks for the fish.

Trout I kill by holding them and sticking my thumb in their mouth and just pulling back until it snaps.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:44 AM

My Dad and I
We bleed most fish. Never caught a fluke from the surf that was the right size so dont know. But i like this thread. When i was a little kid I went muscrat trapping I saw my dad club one in the head never went trapping again.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Tank View Post
Unzip it from the vent through the throat and gills, pull out gills and inerds. Dead instantly. The heart comes with everything else. Bye bye fishy,

if i was a fish i think id rather have a slow suffocation rather than that
Old 04-22-2007, 11:34 AM
SS/Insider, Team SS

just like this...

NJ Angler Tournament
Blue Fish Champion 05 & 07

Old 04-22-2007, 06:45 PM
SS/Veteran

I know some people that can talk them to death in less then 2 minutes. Trouble is they are never around when you need them.

Little lite hearted humor injected here! Feel free to smile at least!
Old 04-22-2007, 07:05 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob View Post
"Humane Kill". Oxymoron. Contradiction of consecutive words. Fish aren't human. Just remove them from the water and learn to deal with it.
Thanks Bob, my faith in people has been restored! Now my question is..... Is this guy for real??? Good luck catching your striper and HUMANELY killing it. Joe.