Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:29 AM

Default Striper Disease????????????

What's wrong with this fish?????

I've heard some suggestions already.....but need a few more opinions.

Thanks.

pd
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2007, 11:53 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Striper Disease????????????

i have seen that before, if the fish fights good, i release it, if its half dead,i bury it or throw it some where.and i dont touch it. power plants ,polution ,who knows.been seeing that for over 30 years.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

MY GUESS= IT looks like it could be a farm raised striper that found the wild and a fish hook..........................
Old 05-18-2007, 04:41 PM

Could be a bass that was mishandled when it was unhooked, maybe rolled around in the sand and lost all it slime coating.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:04 PM

Certainly no expert, but, take notice of a fish tank. sometimes you will see white spots on the fish, the slang for this is ick, i don't know how to spell the formal name. However, its little parasites, that attach to the fish, usually when the water temperature is cool. In a fish tank, in order to rid the fish of these parasites, you heat up the water, the parasites then drop off the fish to spawn. again, I could be dead wrong but whatever it is, I would not eat that fish.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:48 AM

Old 05-19-2007, 07:50 AM

Trying to find the article that goes with this picture.
But I do remeber safe to humans they say lol
Have a great day
Stephen
Old 05-19-2007, 10:00 AM

U.S. Fish & Wildlife
Identifying Fish Diseases
In the Chesapeake Bay and along the Coast

[image: Young Striped Bass]
Bacterial Disease (Ulcerative dermatitis)
[image: fish with a small number of sores on its underbelly]
[image: two fish with a large number of sores covering their bodies]

Ulcerative Dermatitis is just one of many bacterial diseases. It displays itself as red sores with white edges appearing along the lateral body wall. Bacterial disease occurs less commonly in the winter, and affects striped bass as well as many other species. Striped bass can recover from these infections. As a safety precaution fish exhibiting this condition should not be consumed.

Viral Infection (Lymphocystis)
[image: a fish with yellow tumors]
[image: a fish with white tumors]

The viral infection Lymphocystis is a common chronic infection. It causes enormous enlargement of individual skin cells, often forming tumor-like nodules with whitish/gray bumpy granules on fins and body surfaces. This condition is usually not lethal to fish. As a safety precaution fish exhibiting this condition should not be consumed.
Dinoflagellate (Pfiesteria)
[image: a group of fish with large bleeding sores]
[image: a fish with a one inch long bleeding sore]

The dinoflagellate Pfiesteria is a marine organism, with a very powerful toxin. As the skin is destroyed by the toxins, open bleeding sores occur. High concentrations of the toxin may cause fish to die. Fish most commonly affected by Pfiesteria outbreaks are menhaden and other small bait fish. As a safety precaution fish exhibiting this condition should not be consumed.

Parasites (Fish lice)
[image: fish with spots of lice infestation]
[image: a close up of nodules formed by fish lice infestation]

Fish Lice is one of many fish parasites. It is an organism that grows, and feeds on or in a different fish species. Parasites are often seen as spots under the outer surface of the fins, body, and gills. As a safety precaution fish exhibiting this condition should not be consumed.
Hook Wound
[image: a fish with a large section of cheek missing]

Hook wounds generally occur in the head or mouth area. Sometimes a fouled hook will cause a wound in the body. Fish will often recover from hook wounds or fouled hooks. There are no human health concerns associated with these wounds.

Abrasions
[image: a group of fish with red abrasions]
Abrasions are caused by physical action such as handling by fishermen or injuries from nets. This can cause reddened skin and scraped scales. Fish can recover from less serious abrasions. There are no human health concerns associated with these abrasions.
Fish diseases in the Chesapeake Bay and along the coast affect many species of fish and are dependent on a variety of environmental factors. This brochure displays and defines some commonly seen fish diseases, and states their probable effect on fish. This is intended for use as a disease identification aid, not a comprehensive guide.
For further information, please contact: U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
Maryland Fisheries Resources
Office 177 Admiral Cochrane Drive,
Annapolis, MD 21401
1 800/448 8322

U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
1 800/344 WILD http://www.fws.gov/

Photos provided by Maryland Department of Natural Resources, Cooperative Oxford Laboratory.
May 1999
Old 05-20-2007, 11:29 PM

Check out striper mycobacteriosis. On another striper site someone posted in july '05 a report from the Maryland fish and wildlife agency. Not to be an alarmist, but I have summarized below some pertininent parts:

its zoonotic, which means it can be transmitted to humans, also known as "fish handlers disease"

most frequent symptom is the formation of persistent bumps or nodules under the skin. Additional sympoms include formation of ulcers, swelling of lymph nodes and joint pain.

The report also urges fishemen to wash carefully after handling fish, particularly if you have any small cuts or scratches etc on your skin.

Wear thick gloves to protect against fin/spine XXXXXs and other fish inflicted damage to your skin.

I also understand it is not limited to stripers, serveral othe salt species have been found with it. BE SAFE, NOT SORRY...Tight lines - Neil
Old 05-21-2007, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Herpes Fishplex 1

Old 05-22-2007, 04:48 AM

Popcorn bass.
u don't wanna handle them.
i had one under my herring the other day i yanked it away from it.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:21 PM

As a kid I used find parasitic isopods on the gills of snapper blues. Nasty little buggers that look like an inch long white sow bug. Used to pick em off I felt terrible for those little fish.