Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Party & Charter Boat Fishing Forum

Old 03-20-2006, 03:36 PM
Team SS

Default cod, ling & winter flounder...p-boat action info please?

Several questions for you boat sharpies. I want to get one or two more partyboat trips in to get some fresh fillets in the freezer before the decent sized stripers start up in ernest. I'll go this weekend &/or next. What would you guys bet would be better action this time of year off of NJ, ling & cod, or winter flatties? How might the time of tides and the moon phase affect the bite for ling & cod or flatties while fishing on a party boat? Would you head to north, central or southern NJ for ling, for winter flounder? I notice chatter about people making their own chum for winter flounder. This sounds like a stupid question but do people actually chum from party boats or are these the lucky folk who own their own boats ? The last time I went on a p-boat for ling (which was also my 1st) their was insufficient bait and it wasn't fresh. How many folks buy and take their own bait on a p-boat or is it a frivilous use of $? As always, feel free to PM me.
Thanks
JD
Old 03-20-2006, 04:05 PM
Togalicious Moderator

Default Re: cod, ling & winter flounder...p-boat action info please?

I usually bring a chum pot with me when I hit a party boat for flounder. As long as you're not tangling people up with the pot there should be no problem. I generally just use the "guts" and shells left over from the mates shucking clams and/or mussels. others either buy chum-logs or make their own.

Alot of anglers I know will be heading out for flounder so the boats that are sailing for ling might have light crowds.

No one can precdict how the fish will bite. Some boats should be heading out for flounder on thursday&friday so might get some reports to help you decided for the weekend.

I'd travel south atleast to Pt Pleasant if I was heading for ling.

For flounder, I like fishing in Raritan Bay and on my fav boat, the Sea Pigeon.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:01 AM

The Gambler out of Pt.Pleasant has been fishing ling/ bottom and when she gets out the fishing has been at least fair . She has an Offshore Seabass trip leaving at 3:00 am this Saturday if enough people call up for reservations . Sunday's trip leaves at 7:00 and will be for ling/bottom fish the loads have been light and a few Cod/Pollock have been caught. I think that the Dauntless is also fishing bottom fishing . The Norma k might have one of her boats fishing Flounder in the inlet . The weather looks OK for the weekend and I might go on the Gambler on Sunday with my Grandson .
Old 03-22-2006, 12:59 PM
Shore Catch Guide Service

Captain Howard Bogan of the Big Jamaica, Briellereports that they will be sailing every Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday for giant sea bass, cod, pollock, and hake on special 50-90 mile wreck trips. Fares are $125.00 and leave the dock at 1:00am.There has also has been a new date added tomorrow March 24th, limited to 47 passengers $150/per person leaving at 1:00am.

The captain reports that the giant sea bass are still making up the majority of the catch on the offshore trips. Fishing was a little slower on Saturday’s trip due to conditions but, several passengers still caught limits of sea bass up to 6 lbs and most of the sea bass were good size fish. There were also ling mixed in and a few pollock and cod boated.
Pool winners in the past week have been Dhris Meili from Egg Harbor Township with a 20 lb Pollock, Herb Smith from Pennsauken with a 6.5 lb sea bass, and Jerry Chen from Harrison caught his limit of sea bass up to 6lbs. The outlook for our upcoming trips is good. Giant sea bass continue to migrate to the offshore wrecks. The water temperature is still 48 degrees so Bogan expects to see continued good catches on our upcoming trips right through March and into April. There is still space available on trips sailing Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
Inshore the Paramount had fair to good catches of ling over the weekend. The boat was fishing in 110 to 120 feet of water and picked ling all day. On some trips there are a few blackfish and cod mixed in with the ling. Pool winner was John Sangiovanni from Freehold with a 7 lb blackfish. High hooks caught close to 20 ling. Most anglers caught from 8 to 15 ling. The Paramount will sail this Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 7:30AM.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Team SS

Thanks for all of the good inormation GOTOG, GUIDE and OL PADRO. I'll head out on the Gambler Fri. I believe. I'll post report if I go.
Thanks again.
JD
Old 03-23-2006, 01:26 PM
Team SS

Darn it! I just checked the moon calander, 23rd is full-moon. Not looking foward to using 23 oz to get to bottom. I am not sure how this will affect wreck fishing but I assume it's not good. I assume that fish will be honkered down tight against or into structure to avoid fighting that heavy full moon tide. What do you folks think, will full moon adversley affect wreck fishing for ling, pollak & cod?
Thanks.
JD
Old 03-23-2006, 04:45 PM

23rd of what month? According to my tide and moon calender the full moon was the 14th and the new moon is the 29th.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:18 AM

Out for first day of flounder on the Norma K, second half of the day trip, fished off Bayhead in the bay....STINKO!

There was about ten fish caught for over twenty people. I was told the early trip was even worse. Ohh well! Nonetheless, It felt good to get a rod in hand again! Hoping for warmer temps next week to get things rolling....

iii
Old 03-24-2006, 09:57 AM
Team SS

Damnit! I missread the moon calander! Should have gone. Oh well...next time. Thanks for the report Lineman. I was wondering how the flatties were doing.
Thanks again for all of the help. I'll post a report when I go.
JD