Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:12 AM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Exclamation Who shot the Goose....?

As fees rise, anglers decline
San Diego UNION-TRIBUNE
December 29, 2006

Quote:
California anglers are accustomed to spending more money each year on a fishing license, but be prepared to reach deeper into the wallet to fish in 2007.

The fee for a resident fishing license for 2007 has jumped $2.40, more than 6 percent, from $34.90 to $37.30. Add in the $4.20 for an Ocean Enhancement Stamp to fish ocean waters below Point Arguello (Santa Barbara County) and $3 for a Colorado River stamp to fish there, and a 2007 license will cost a record $44.50.

Hunting licenses are good from July 1 through June 30 each year. But starting Monday, you'll need a 2007 California sport fishing license to fish.

This year's increase is the largest bump in a resident fishing license since the state raised it from $13.75 in 1985 to $18 in 1986. That came two years after the state nearly doubled the fishing license fee from $6.75 in 1983 to $13 in '84.

Not coincidentally, the biggest drop in fishing license sales occurred during those years when fishing license fees were raised significantly. There were 2,296,107 resident fishing licenses sold in 1981. But by 1987, that number slipped to 1,708,733 for a loss of 587,374 resident licenses. Compare the 1981 license sales with the 2006 total of 1,260,654, and there are more than 1 million fewer fishing licenses (1,035,453 to be exact) sold today than 25 years ago.

That's not a trend for fishing, it's a sickness.

Despite the incredible population boom in California in the past few decades, state resident fishing license sales have mostly declined each year over the past 25. The slide can be traced to those huge spikes in the cost of fishing licenses in the mid-1980s.

There were 2,155,390 resident fishing licenses sold in 1983, but when the price jumped from $6.75 to $13 in 1984, license sales fell to 2,059,504 and haven't sniffed the 2 million mark since.

Considering what it costs these days to go to a movie, a play, the opera, a Chargers or Padres game or SeaWorld, making a one-time investment of $44.50 for an entire year of fishing the state's waters isn't that expensive, really. But unfortunately, the state's yearly increases in fishing license fees have driven folks away. The statistics show that.

Certainly many factors are contributing and driving this slide in fishing license sales. There are more diversions such as video games for kids; the cost of gas to travel; the radical changes in outdoor recreation lifestyles; and more.
New Jersey is not far behind, a Resident Fishing License cost $22.50 in 2006. Add in a Trout stamp at $10.50 and the total is $33.00.

The state continues to dream about a revenue windfall from a Saltwater Fishing License. With the recreational sport fishing industry in the state continuously demanding priority and exclusivity due to their "multi billion dollar economic power model" I can only wonder when some civil servants and politicians will get together and decide to tap into the saltwater "goldmine."

When that happens and the real impact hits the recreational sport fishing industry, the follow up question will be "Who shot the goose that laid the golden egg"?

Last edited by Bob D'Amico : 12-30-2006 at 02:41 AM.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:28 AM

Default Re: As fees rise, anglers decline

agreed that a saltwater license fee isn't paletable to most, but $30 or so won't keep serious fishermen away- it'll thin out the googan and yahoo factions imho.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:07 AM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Question Re: As fees rise, anglers decline

Resident Fishing (Ages 16-64 yrs.)$22.50
Sr. Resident Fishing (Ages 65-69 yrs.)$12.50
Resident Trout Stamp$10.50
Non-Resident Fishing (Ages 16 and up)$34.00
Non-Resident Trout Stamp$20.00
7-Day Vacation Fishing (nonresidents only)$19.50
2-Day Vacation Fishing (nonresidents only)$9.00
All Around Sportsman (includes resident fishing,

firearm hunting and bow/arrow hunting licenses)
$72.25

The greenbacks the "googans" and "yahoos" spend are just as important as the money spent by "regulars." More important to the NJ recreational fishing industry is the very large numbers of fishermen from the Philadelphia area and Eastern PA. They are already paying $54.00. Will they still flock to NJ if they have to pay $20 or $30 for a saltwater license?

Old 12-30-2006, 11:49 AM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by a'hours
agreed that a saltwater license fee isn't paletable to most, but $30 or so won't keep serious fishermen away- it'll thin out the googan and yahoo factions imho.
It wont keep me away, but I'll never throw a 28" bass back, unless its the 4th one. I'll keep every barely minimum fish and wont think twice. TO me a 16 1/2 " fluke isnt worth it now but if I'm forking over money to the state for this resource, f-them and get my filet knife out. Hell, blues freeze very well for chunking purposes in July/August, cannabalistic little buggers...

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:49 AM
SS/Veteran

Angry Re: As fees rise, anglers decline

I remember years ago in Pennsylvania when a non-resident license was MUCH cheaper than it is today.

We use to have 6 of us in the deer camp, bought not only our licenses , but stayed in a nice place, ate out, bought groceries and injected money into their economy.

Well......Harrisburg got greedy, we all stopped, and now they get Stash from Scranton taking his day trip into the woods and driving home to his six-pack in the fridge.

All the hotels and restaurants are now empty.

Givin the chance...let the gods of government in NJ get greedy and you'll see the same in the mountains and down the NJ Shore.

I haven't bought a fishing license in years. I belong to a private club now...screw NJ DFG! I have taken my $$$ elsewhere!
Old 12-30-2006, 12:42 PM
SS/Veteran

I dont really pay attention to freshwater lic prices much, I just buy it , but a couple years ago a New York out of state fish lic was LESS than my Resident NJ lic. that bothered me a bit. I have to check what I paid in Sept for the 07 lic(they run 10/1- 9/30 I think I dont even recall til i dig it out.)
Would not surprise me if Calif makes a fish lic as hard to get as a gun permit, which as we all know in San Fran is almost impossible. Calif is a strange place. Seems the US constitution does not apply to them.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:18 PM
Moderator, Team SS

I wouldn't mind paying for a salt water licence if the money was going back into fishing related things, like improved access and enforcment, but being NJ I don't have the trust that will ever happen and the money will never make it past our politicians.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 12-30-2006, 06:33 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

given what some anglers pay for beach buggy and beach access fees already, I don't think a license fee would deter the hardcore salt addict from PA (or NJ). However,
it is a deterent to casual anglers, both freshwater right now or the salt in the future.
With all the complaints about beach access, I believe that is the wrong direction for the future of surf fishing for NJ. We need more local counsels and chambers of commerce in beach communities, as well as other state and local representatives to recognize the contribution all these instate and out of state anglers make to the local economies, we don't need them to buy into the misdirected notion of "taxing" our activity.

In the past, I was in favor of a salt water license, given that it would
avail NJ of more federal matching funds, if I understand some of the
current laws. But, with the string of administrations we have in NJ, and
the turn the DEP has taken with disregarding the Fish and Game counsel,
disregarding qualified state biologists, putting political puppets in charge of
management of the state's wildlife, I have *no confidence* in any
$$ generated by *any* new licenses from making it to the right place.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:25 PM
SS/Veteran

Angry Re: As fees rise, anglers decline

Hey.....how about a license on surfers, personal jet skis too?

I go down the shore to fish...I buy at the B&T, fuel my car while there , hit a nice restaurant for a bite to eat. They want that $$$ to disappear...it can...from me and alot of other guys!

How many teenagers you see out there? Yeah...they are spending their "recreational dollars" elsewhere.

Honestly...yes, I fish "casually" the demands of work and family take away from precious fishing time. But if NJ wants to stick its hand in my pocket with the license, I too will take short stripers and fluke...because now I am "the customer" and I demand a "return" for my dollar...sounds greedy? Yep....but look at Trenton and therein lies the heart of your greed.

Keep it up and in 10 years...there won't be a party boat left on the shore.

Folks just react to how they are treated!