Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:01 PM
take a kid fishing

Default Re: Wicket Tuna?

Love the show - the best part is the ball breaking; some of it subtle, some not. What drives me crazy is when they're hooked up & they pull the line with one hand and crank with the other. I understand they want to get the fish to the boat (or the boat to the fish) asap, but it seems like you're just asking for disaster. Then I remind myself that they are doing it for money, and they've caught more tuna than me. If they do it that way, it must work.

Glad Redando mentioned that Dave from Tuna.com is from Jersey. That explains why I see him on the water every fall.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:44 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

In the early shows I used to judge those guys harshly. As you pointed out, hands on the line was viewed by me as very googan. But then I learned to give them slack and enjoy the process they used to catch and sell the fish. Now I give them high marks because the mission of the show is to entertain and they are doing that.

I see a lot of things I don't approve of but its fishing. Line to the hand, dogs on deck, gaffing without Polaroids are trivial transgressions. Its a great show and they don't need fishing police to judge their every move. "Fish on!"
Old 04-16-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenrod View Post
Love the show - the best part is the ball breaking; some of it subtle, some not. What drives me crazy is when they're hooked up & they pull the line with one hand and crank with the other. I understand they want to get the fish to the boat (or the boat to the fish) asap, but it seems like you're just asking for disaster. Then I remind myself that they are doing it for money, and they've caught more tuna than me. If they do it that way, it must work.

Glad Redando mentioned that Dave from Tuna.com is from Jersey. That explains why I see him on the water every fall.
When you fish out of a holder you can't pump the rod as you would if your were sport fishing stand up or in a chair. Shoveling the line helps in this regard and also is a way to lay the line on the reel properly. With big gear touching the line is not as much of a sin. Think of a 1.000 lb Marlin being leadered while the boat is in gear. Striped Bass are cool fish, but they do not get very big and are some of the worst fighting fish in the sea. It's a lot different when your dealing with heavy tackle and big fish.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:02 PM

Thanks for the input, Danny. I never fished for big game and certainly not from a boat. Reason why they call me "Mister Smarty" is that there is a lot of stuff I don't know.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Thanks for the input, Danny. I never fished for big game and certainly not from a boat. Reason why they call me "Mister Smarty" is that there is a lot of stuff I don't know.

Only experts in that game are the guys behind the wheel and the crew in the cockpit. I'm just a lackey passenger

Speaking of big game...every run into a shark off the surf? I've hooked some big one's in the Carolinas. Landed some up to 100 lbs, lost one after 1.5 hour fight that had me down to the knot a few times.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:12 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redando View Post
With big gear touching the line is not as much of a sin.
The only sin in their world is not putting the meat on the deck. They don't care about any of that IGFA nonsense: it's strictly about getting the fish on the boat.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:41 PM

Of course, Chris, we all know that. Its commercial fishing where the idea is to sell the fish so that people who want to eat that fish can buy it. Am I missing something in your post? I think making a buck fishing is more important than the IGFA. I once had a IGFA World Record fly fishing striper, which tied our popular member "Tin Boat". I sold it at the dock for around $1.00/pound. Of course I suppose I could have applied for the record and still got the price, but I wasn't thinking about records, I was tired, didn't know what the existing record was and had another night of commercial fishing coming up where I knew they might show up again. We really did not think much about IGFA in those days. It was when we had two mortgages, drove used cars and the quality of life was very dependent upon money. Over in Fiction they call money fishing greed.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:45 PM
SS/Veteran

Did anyone see the show "sacred cod" on the Discovery channel? The short of it is the fishermen say they there are plenty of cod and the government says the species is way down. Towns are becoming poor zones and the way of life is in the toilet. the alternative is fishing for dog fish which needs social acceptance to be saleable.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:28 PM

[quote=
Speaking of big game...every run into a shark off the surf? I've hooked some big one's in the Carolinas. Landed some up to 100 lbs, lost one after 1.5 hour fight that had me down to the knot a few times. [/QUOTE]

No, not in the sense you mean. On the Cape we once had 30 miles of dogfish, aka dogfish that made striper fishing impossible. They stretched from Chatham to P-town but were gone the next night. Big sharks were rare from the beach.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:15 AM
Senior Fellow

We had a run of big sharks at the Point in Hatteras very recently. It seems that they have eased up some at present and everyone is currently enjoying the first sustained run of large bluefish on the beach is recent years, along with other great catches including an early 51 lb cobia from the surf on Monday.

The big sharks were so prevalent the last time I was there that I talked to one gent who had broken off over 100 in the previous few weeks. After breaking off three I called it a day but when I asked him why he kept tossing rigs to those sharks he answered as I had expected and said that he was hoping for one of the big red drum that were mixed in with them.

I saw a picture of a 35-40 lb drum with a shark bite imprint almost up to it's gills. One of the sharks that I broke off was probably close to a 7 ft and I'm sure that there were larger in the mix.

Oddly there have been a few red drum already caught in NJ this spring. Other than the 51 lb cobia the other day, which I always find remarkable from the surf, another interesting catch from just below the Point two weeks ago was an 85 lb black drum. That guy had a lot of perseverance as well as good tackle! That would be like dragging a 10:00-20 out of the surf. I had to chuckle because he apparently kept the fish..... can't imagine trying to make that sucker edible.

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 04-20-2017, 03:47 PM

Not much going on here what with waters at 41 degrees. Also, aerial photos in the Boston papers show Cape seals wall to wall looking like chocolate frosting on the sea edge.