Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:06 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Triple Crown 2017

Chris, try Famous Grouse. It is a much softer hammering than DeWars. We switched. We have wells so our water is perfect for addition to Scotch. You can't drink Scotch with city water; the chlorine will have you glowing in the dark.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:01 PM
SS/Veteran

I can't do whiskey: Scotch and bourbon both disagree with me. They both, as my grandfather put it, make me break out in handcuffs.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:36 PM
SS/Veteran

As a young man I could never understand why people drank gin, it tasted like cologne smelled. Now it is the summer go to drink for me.

Beefeaters is nasty along with all the other cheap gins I detested when I was less mature. Bombay Sapphire is my favorite when making a martini, wet - up - and a blue cheese stuffed olive. Hendrick's mixed with ABC ginger ale or any Ginger Beer and a twist of Lemon is my favorite mixer.

As a former Bourbon snob (straight up in a snifter only), I have recently discovered a fine taste for the Mint Julep and also the classic Manhattan with chocolate bitters. The latest craft trend is in flavored bitters and boy they can turn a regular old drink into something you think about when you aren't even thirsty.

For those not familiar with the Mint Julep, it is the official drink of the Kentucky Derby.

Doug
Old 05-01-2017, 04:11 PM
SS/Veteran

Boy, this field looks awful. Awful. Do you remember Giacomo, who won the race at 50-1 in 2005? He'd probably be 5/2 in this race. Nyquist, last year's favorite (and winner), would be 4/5.

One of these slow-looking horses will have to win, though, so it's back to work, trying to dope out a winner. Which could come from anywhere, because this is as wide-open a Derby as I can remember.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:37 PM

Our warm weather drink is gin and tonic with a lot of lime. When we summered on the Cape beaches we had a regular who introduced us to them. But we use the cheapest gin we can find consistent with the old Hebrew adage: "once poor, never rich."
Old 05-02-2017, 11:44 AM
SS/Veteran

I dunno if it's a hangover from two years ago, when American Pharoah won the Triple Crown, whether it's because this year's crop of three-year-olds looks subpar, or whether it's something else, but I've been unable to muster much enthusiasm for the Derby this year. I've been unable to get it up, as it were, the way I usually do. Most years, I'm practically foaming at the mouth this week, but this time around, I'm not.

Adding to this general sense of a lack of enthusiasm is the weather: the forecast for Louisville on Saturday is turning increasingly ugly. It may turn into a total slopfest, which would be a shame. The Derby deserves good weather as much as it deserves hot broads with big knockers in absurd hats.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:19 PM

I have no clue how to bet the Derby. All I know about horses is that my relatives in Quebec used to eat them. They have the same muscle groups as deer and moose.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:23 PM
SS/Veteran

I think this will be the first year where horsemen will talk about the disadvantage of the new qualifying system. There has to be some better 3 year olds out there than the bottom 10 contenders in this race. A maiden has not won this race since 1932.

I'm sticking with my first impressions, Irish War Cry will have a huge crowd cheering for him at my local bar just 2 miles from Fair Hill.

Only 3 horses here that want the lead, a little more than a handful of pacers and a whole lot of closers. Unless we get a suicide speed run from a surprise horse I do not see a horse making up 15 lengths to win this race.

Thunder Snow has a good chance to break the Derby curse on trans Atlantic competitors. C Soumillon did not make this trip to scratch his XXX, horse has experience carrying weight (131 lbs in his debut).

Doug
Old 05-06-2017, 07:43 AM
SS/Veteran

With the uncertainty of the track conditions, what looks like a pedestrian field, and a lack of time, I'm not even going to bother to invest the time to handicap the race. I probably won't even watch. I will be chewing moby rockfish at Assateague this evening-- look for my dashingly handsome visage in the Report 59s thread.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:47 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

that's supposed to be "Report 49s"

Chris not watching the Derby... say it isn't so!
Old 05-06-2017, 03:13 PM
SS/Veteran

Good luck fishing Chris, that steady 20 knot wind with 30 knot gusts from the S, SW can mean serious weed in the water but it should clear out by tomorrow with the shift to the W.

Although this is not the most talented class of horses to run in this race I think we may have the most competitive race since the new format began. It is tough to pin a horse here that has numerous advantages over other horses so it is not the kind of race you want to throw a bunch of money on.

Good luck to all, this could be a huge payout for you if you can put the right #'s on the betting slip.

Doug
Old 05-06-2017, 03:16 PM

My rock star wife whose so cheap she squeaks when she walks made three five dollar selections:
#5 which is a 5-1
#9 which is a 20-1, both 5 & 9 to place
#12 which is a 50-1 to show

Neither of us have a clue what we are doing. This ain't Blackjack. Good luck all yuz.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:17 PM
SS/Veteran

I am putting $!0 on Patch to show. Probably a waste of money but so be it. Nice ticket if it pays but a long shot and much better then the lottery.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:13 PM
SS/Veteran

I see Chris got the wind shift. May be fishable next tide.

Doug
Old 05-07-2017, 01:00 PM

We lost all three choices. Fifteen bucks, big deal; that's one blackjack bet from a dealer who hands out 40 hands per hour to six people.