Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:15 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Triple Crown 2017

ever try to picking the last place winner ??? just as hard picking the 1`st place horse !
Old 05-07-2017, 07:53 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
We lost all three choices. Fifteen bucks, big deal; that's one blackjack bet from a dealer who hands out 40 hands per hour to six people.
You might want to double-check: the 5, which you posted as one of your 3 picks, actually won at 9-2.

And I am back, and I can report that getting skunked in the Assateague surf is a lot cheaper than getting skunked at the track.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:53 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Garrity View Post
You might want to double-check: the 5, which you posted as one of your 3 picks, actually won at 9-2.
My mistake, it was paired with #9. I can't even transcribe my wife's notes. We did not win.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:23 PM
SS/Veteran

I wonder how it effects the horses and jockeys in the second and third rows etc, with getting mud kicked in their face. I see where the winning jockey had one pair of goggles around his neck and a second pair on his helmet. No wonder my horse Patch came in 14th what with one eye. He was blinking all the way from the gate to the finish line.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:43 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
I wonder how it effects the horses and jockeys in the second and third rows etc, with getting mud kicked in their face. I see where the winning jockey had one pair of goggles around his neck and a second pair on his helmet. No wonder my horse Patch came in 14th what with one eye. He was blinking all the way from the gate to the finish line.
There's an old expression: speed in the slop. And what you mentioned is the reason why: the horses' hooves throw up so much stuff, mud and water and all that, that it can be impossible for the horses behind the leaders to run through it. It's like running through a firehose.

When conditions are like that, jockeys will wear as many as 6 or 8 pairs of goggles, stacked up like Russian nesting dolls. When the outer pair gets too dirty to see, they reach up and remove it, leaving a clear pair underneath. Repeat as necessary during the race. Sometimes you'll see a jock coming back from a race having used 5 or 6 of them.

Some horses hate getting water and mud in their face, some don't mind. Moreover, some have gaits that do better in sloppy conditions -- it's a slight variation of the same reason that some horses prefer grass and others dirt (on grass there is no kickback). It's all part of the puzzle of trying to figure out which horses are going to run well, and which ones will run less well.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:40 PM

Interesting, Chris. There is a body of knowledge to everything.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:47 AM
SS/Veteran

The Preakness draw is today. I don't think I've ever less enthusiasm for a major race. Tiddly Winks gets more media coverage.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:08 PM

All aspects of the Triple Crown need a boost from a bottle of Scotch. I roll the dice and for example if the 3 and 7 come up on the roll, we pair them. Gaurantee we never win.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:56 PM
SS/Veteran

Every wise guy and his brother is picking Classic Empire, who ran deceptively well in the Kentucky Derby despite having a brutal trip -- he got roughed up like he was getting thrown out of a bar -- but I think that's fool's gold: I think Always Dreaming is the best horse, and I think he wins at a short price tomorrow.

I also think, though I don't want to get ahead of myself, that he will have a very good shot at winning the Belmont in three weeks. But let's get past the Preakness first.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:00 PM
SS/Veteran

I have doped out the card at Pimlico today, and there are two things I like, which I will freely share:

I like the 10 horse, Actress, in the Black-Eyed Susan, which is on TV (NBC Sports, I think, just before 5 pm). She's a maiden, which would seem to be a reason to pick against her, but I think she has a very big shot at a very big price: she's 12-1 on the morning line. She's worth a win bet.

I also like a horse named Compelled, number 4 in your program, in the Old Hilltop Stakes, which is the 8th race today. She's 3-1 on the morning line, but I think she is a very, very likely winner.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:58 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Garrity View Post
I like the 10 horse, Actress, in the Black-Eyed Susan, which is on TV (NBC Sports, I think, just before 5 pm). She's a maiden, which would seem to be a reason to pick against her, but I think she has a very big shot at a very big price: she's 12-1 on the morning line. She's worth a win bet.
$27.60. You're welcome!
Old 05-22-2017, 11:35 AM

One of our picks came in to Show and paid 25.50. The win covered our losses in both the KB and this one. (Will not be turning professional, however.)
Old 06-10-2017, 06:34 PM
SS/Veteran

Any time I see a horse that makes most wonder what the heck is he entered in this race for I take a second look and certainly today Twisted Tom is one of them. Remember, these Horses are still learning and to throw out contenders on strictly Beyer ratings on young horses will empty your pocket quickly.

Doug
Old 07-17-2017, 10:21 AM
SS/Veteran

Ran the gauntlet of traffic on I-95 on Saturday to go to Delaware Park to see their signature race, the Delaware Handicap. I would normally not go to this -- the traffic in Southeastern Pa. and northern Delaware is usually awful, especially on Saturdays in the summer -- but I made an exception because the great filly Songbird, last year's 3-year-old champ filly and a nose away from being undefeated, shipped in from Southern California for the race. The DelCap has a long history, and some great female horses have run in it, but I don't think they've ever been able to attract a horse quite as accomplished as Songbird.

She was gorgeous in the paddock -- like show-stoppingly beautiful, a real stunner -- but her performance was... well, it's hard to criticize a horse for winning a Grade I, but she was all-out to beat a couple of allowance horses, her time was slow, and she was nowhere close to being as visually impressive as she was last year. This is doubly true because she laid over this field, both in terms of ability and in running style: none of the other four had won so much as an overnight stakes, and Songbird was the only horse with early speed. With how speed-favoring Delaware Park's dirt surface was on Saturday, Songbird should have won by the length of the stretch; the fact that she did not should be a real concern to her connections.

Maybe she needed the race, and/or maybe 10 furlongs is a bit longer than her preferred distance. Whatever, she will probably be a strong bet-against in her next race, especially if she's 3-5 (she was 1-20 on Saturday!).

Here's how she looked in the paddock from my spot on the rail:
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2017, 04:50 PM
SS/Veteran

Songbird running at Delaware Park is a big win for that track, after seeing the performance I would conclude that the Horse has lost a step and her connections know it. Otherwise she would have run at a much higher class establishment for sure.

Any thoughts, insight into the Haskell yet Chris?

Doug