Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:43 PM

Default Bob Pond

Does anyone recall an attempt by Bob Pond to transplant stripers to Portugal or Spain? Or am I halucinating?
Old 04-05-2017, 01:56 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Bob Pond

No, I never heard that one but he did originate a lot of very wild ideas. I think a lot of fisheries people did not like his ideas and be became controversial as a result. He was, however, worshiped by the sport fishing fraternity. You could say he won some and he lost some. The romantic side of his life was more interesting than the striper protection aspect; but that was not your question. I was close to him and I knew him well.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:50 PM

I think he mentioned the idea to me at a midnight hour when we were fishing a pond opening on the Vineyard's South Shore. Evidently is was just an idea and nothing came of it.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:14 AM

His life was riddled with controversy. Wildlife professionals did not seem to trust him. But I am glad that I never had to take sides in the striper issues with which he was engaged. I could tell you a hundred stories but I could not prove a one of them. Of course we all know that he made great striper plugs and his contributions to our striper world go unquestioned. But he worried me greatly. He was very sick at the end and it broke my heart to see him decline.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Boat View Post
Does anyone recall an attempt by Bob Pond to transplant stripers to Portugal or Spain? Or am I halucinating?
Don't know if you are hulucinating but Bob Pond, when he was alive, did a lot of hulicinating. He had a lot of original ideas but he also had some shockwa notions that made a lot of the bio-striper managers roll their eyes. For instance, he had this theory about striper egg floatation/sink that was supposed to explain striper fecundity that the fisheries managers did not believe was true. I never got involved because I could not say who was right. Besides, I was more interested in writing easy stuff like "best plug" or best place to fish.

He invited us to accompany him for some Maryland "Research" but I had too many irons in the fire here in New England to go down south. They have too many snakes down south.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:35 PM

Someone took over the Atom plug business years ago but I don't see them offered any more. Might be that Atom is kaput. If that is the case, it is the loss of a real trailblazing outfit. We caught a lot of big bass with Atom plugs. I got two over 50 pounds on a loaded Junior Atom. I dehooked it a while back and still have the original plug body. Bet I could sell it for a beer.