Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:21 PM

Default Missed Opportunities

Or maybe life's regrets? I grew up one mile from the tidal portion of the Taunton River. There was a good herring run nearby. My family had a cottage in Wareham. None of my friends or family knew about Stripers back then. We fished for Flounder in the Spring and Tautog and other bottom fish later in the summer. How could we have missed such a great fish?

I moved to Vermont in 1972, so freshwater fishing has been the thing to do. Now I have moved to southern Maine one mile from a tidal river with a herring run and good fishing for Shad and Stripers. I plan to make up for all that Striper fishing I somehow missed.

What missed opportunities or regrets have you had?
Old 05-12-2017, 04:41 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Missed Opportunities

This is a tough one for me because I did nearly all the things fishing imaginable from Atlantic salmon to Great Lakes steelhead. It has crossed my mind that I should have gone caribou hunting in Quebec, but I never did and now I am too old to fly into the Artic Circle. I also should have bought a rod week in Iceland for Atlantic salmon -- $10,000 or $15,000 for each of us. When I was young enough to do it, I didn't have the money; now that I have the money, I don't have the ambition.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:15 PM

I have had too much money in safe CDs all my life. I should have spread our hard earned in the market way sooner than we did so we failed to acquire the big dividends of stock. We lost out on millions because we were chicken. "Once poor, never rich."
Old 05-19-2017, 01:28 AM

I've always wanted to catch a 1,000 lb fish. Mako, Marlin or Tuna. Put a live Mackerel on in Canada and watched a 10 footer swallow it. Passed the rod to a buddy because he had not successfully bough a fish to the boat for release that trip. We measured it at 120 inches and it was as thick as a horse. Definite grander +. His biggest fish prior to this was a 2 lb rainbow trout. He has not fished since...said there is no reason.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:59 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

For me, few regrets except perhaps not picking up cross country/back country skiing when I was young enough to do some of the excellent cross terrain stuff up in New England... a trip up to Mt. Washington Tuckerman's ravine. I never would have gone down Tuckerman's main wall but there are a lot of side trails that make it a special backcountry place.

Fishing I still have a few things I can try, including a trip (or 2 or 3) to Montauk, some of the fishing points like OBX on the east and some well known mid-Atlantic and New England trout waters, before long. One trip I hoped to do was a visit to see Jason with some flounder while hitting the MA shore spots for stripuhs by fly as well. Hope I am healthy enough at retirement so I have the time to hit these places.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:35 PM

Health at retirement depends upon your age when you retire. I was 52 and had a ball. At 80 I am slowing down some but we hunt or fish every day.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:20 PM

True, Frank, but genetics and unforeseen things can impact
retirement, and thus sooner is better than later. Hopefully ( and I'm planning for )
it will be in a couple of years.

Thankfully we traveled to some nice places when younger, my wife couldn't
do it now.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:35 PM
SS/Veteran

Time goes by so fast & years are a blink & a blur . Always wanted to grow my hair long maybe not in a pony tail but a possible shag ( David Lee Roth style ) but my occupation / image would not allow it. Oh well dream on !
Old 05-20-2017, 04:13 PM

Make your mark while you are young. I didn't get Masters degree money until I was 41. I also did make ups in my IRA and salted every nickel the last years I worked. Did not draw a cent of IRA money until forced at 70 1/2. What good does it do to retire with no money?

Smarty's Rules:
A. Don't borrow money.
B. Stay married.
C. No new cars. Drive a sheetbox.
D. Practice birth control so both can keep working.
E. If you can't fish with one you love, love the one you fishin' with.
F. Recalculate the rule of 72s every time the rates change.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:27 PM
SS/Veteran

$$$ is for spending the only joy in it is when the kids do the dance of joy when your dead.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookI View Post
$$$ is for spending the only joy in it is when the kids do the dance of joy when your dead.
Not quite, Chuck, one must never run out of money. Inasmuch as you don't know what is going to come along that requires money, and you don't know when you are going to die, your only choice is to have more money than you need. On the Internet the ones who don't have any money call having money greed. I call money the solution because it is the only thing on a long list of love, health, tuition, retirement that is something you can do something about. Once you have enough money, then spend it.

When I was 40 years old I found a dime on the sidewalk. I then ran and put it in my IRA; when I retired 10 years later it was a dollar which I invested in McDonalds stock along with IBM. Splits, growth and dividends put me in position to fish instead of work.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:12 PM
SS/Veteran

Rule G--don't go to a nursing home rather in your wheel chair wheel yourself over the inbankment and enjoy the ride down. Nursing homes are a dead end and the only place you will end up, poor is the loading dock.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:36 PM

was behind the eight ball for a while, but on track now, though 50 has long passed, looks good for retirement in a few years.

as to the nursing home I "joke" with my family about positioning my wheel chair at the top of a ramp, so that I could nudge myself down and into the bay. Figure I might as well give back to the crabs after enjoying so many of them over my lifetime.

only problem is doing this so there is no liability for anyone else when I'm gone
Old 05-22-2017, 11:50 AM

The place where we hunt is called "geriatrics" by our kids. Of course they are just kids -- 55 through 59. What could they know?
Old 05-23-2017, 04:51 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Not quite, Chuck, one must never run out of money. Inasmuch as you don't know what is going to come along that requires money, and you don't know when you are going to die, your only choice is to have more money than you need. On the Internet the ones who don't have any money call having money greed. I call money the solution because it is the only thing on a long list of love, health, tuition, retirement that is something you can do something about. Once you have enough money, then spend it.

When I was 40 years old I found a dime on the sidewalk. I then ran and put it in my IRA; when I retired 10 years later it was a dollar which I invested in McDonalds stock along with IBM. Splits, growth and dividends put me in position to fish instead of work.
the last guy who said " Trust Me " was selling property in Arizona ( during the 1980's , which in turn "landed " him on that TV program American Greed " , if you ever catch it it's true .