Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:33 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Beer Drinking Stories

By popular request, our members, having just awoken from a night of it, would like some beer drinking stories.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Beer Drinking Stories

It all started with Schaefer. That's what mom and dad drank. I guess it was cheap, even in the 60s. There used to be cases of it in the basement. One of my friends once suggested my folks would never miss a few cans, or a couple six packs. And after some tests of that theory it was clear they didn't. The stuff cou;dn't betat bad, didn't they spnsor the big surfcasting contest?
Old 01-22-2015, 11:06 AM

My old French-Canadian grandfather, whose name was Amadee (I told you he's was old French-Canadian) used to keep his bottles of Ballentine Ale at room temperature under the kitchen sink. He'd pour into a tall beer glass and add a pinch of salt in the ale.

After he was gone I decided to honor him by trying room temp Ballentine Ale.......absolutely ghastly!
Old 01-22-2015, 01:33 PM

Pabs Blue Ribbon is making quite a comeback. Even saw it on tap at the bar the other night, next to the some craft seasonal.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:28 PM

Beer and surfcasting generally don’t mix well – at least where I fish. On Block we’ve had our share of stories where some of the gang went out to party at Yellow Kittens on a particular night and missed out on a great bite. Then to add insult to hangover they awake to see a few 50s in their partner’s cooler the next morning. Insert lesson learned here.
Another crew was into fish (and beer) pretty good here in Newport at a known sketchy location during a building sea. Only took one wave to send one of them to the hospital with a broken kneecap and the others scrambling to avoid being washed in the water to ruin their night.
Might get away with a few beers on a sand beach but not generally where I fish.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:58 PM

Dennis, nobody said anything about drinking beer while fishing. That is flippin stupid.

Clambellies is talking about Quebec Frenchmen and they do drink warm beer. They also add salt which I learned to do in kindergarten. Heineken used to advise serving their beer at 47. Yanks who drink ice cold beer ruin it and embarrass we professional beer dinkers, a .....drinkers.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:10 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Dennis, nobody said anything about drinking beer while fishing. That is flippin stupid.

Clambellies is talking about Quebec Frenchmen and they do drink warm beer. They also add salt which I learned to do in kindergarten. Heineken used to advise serving their beer at 47. Yanks who drink ice cold beer ruin it and embarrass we professional beer dinkers, a .....drinkers.
I hate warm beer! And salt?? You gotta be kidding!!!
It's gotta be Sam Adams Lager and ICE COLD (or room temp bourbon)....
Go Pats!

JC
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 01-23-2015, 08:17 AM

Jason, entire cultures drink warm beer and other cultures use salt. Failure to understand other cultures is called ethno-centrism and is common, especially among Americans. I don't eat worms but there are entire cultures that do. Loosen up!
Old 01-23-2015, 09:40 AM

[quote=Frank Daignault;2406429]Dennis, nobody said anything about drinking beer while fishing. That is flippin stupid.
[quote]

Oops - I confused "Beer Drinking Stories" with "Drinking Beer Stories", my bad.

In that case I'd never really enjoyed beer UNTIL I started drinking REAL beer a few years back. Craft IPAs (India Pale Ale) changed my mind. Having an american lager like Bud or Miller now is like drinking beer flavored water - yuk. That said my favorite place to drink was visiting Munich during Oktoberfest. I had a blast - beer tents that hold over 5000 drinkers - and about 10 tents were there. People dancing on tables. It was fun and I would recommend the trip to anyone who really enjoys beer and a good time.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:58 PM

I'm a very harsh critic of beer drinking customs in this country. Drinking beer out of a bottle instead of a glass that is too cold and lite which is lite because of the addition of water is hard for me to understand. Not saying I'm right but that other cultures do it differently than we, make what we do suspect.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:20 PM
SS/Veteran

I mostly like the extremes. Guiness Stout is the best dark to me...but I'd rather have a decent lager or pilsener with food. I like a bunch of the amber colored beers (I DO like Sam), but some of the IPAs...not all...are bitter tasting to me. If it's hot out and I want a beer, a Bud is fine with me. Good memories of guys on cod boats in November having a Bud while bottom fishing...
Old 01-23-2015, 02:52 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Jason, entire cultures drink warm beer and other cultures use salt. Failure to understand other cultures is called ethno-centrism and is common, especially among Americans. I don't eat worms but there are entire cultures that do. Loosen up!
Frank, I'll make you a deal:

YOU eat the worms and I'll drink the cold beer!

JC
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 01-23-2015, 02:58 PM

I never really drank surfcasting. Not while active fishing anyway...There were a few times when conditions got so bad and we couldn't fish anymore, and one guy or the other had a case on ice...I'll admit it, the fishing stories sound so much better after a few...and call me a lush, but I almost always finish off a night of fishing wih a beer once I'm back home before I hit the bed... the only time when don't feel guilty having a beer at 7am with the sun coming up...
Old 01-23-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinglsister View Post
Frank, I'll make you a deal:

YOU eat the worms and I'll drink the cold beer!

JC
Jason, is that what your secret friend told you to say?
Old 01-23-2015, 04:08 PM
SS/Veteran

Having drank the dear beverage longer then most members here have been potty trained I can say drinking the beverage in Europe the beer is mostly room temp. It goes down sweet and if you have never drank a glass boot at October Fest you need not comment. Beer in the south close to the border is served with a salt shaker on the table. The reason for the salt is to put a head on the beer. Here in the US the beer has to be served cold, why I do not know. Some beers here taste bad when not cold and some others warm are good. Best go out there an sample.

Drinking while surf fishing if you have an extra hand is not bad but getting stupid is dangerious. Some people just do not know their limits.