Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:28 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

We are not starting any birds at all, nor are we hearing any distant shooting. They have stopped gobbling. Our only hope is to have them start up again once the hens are gone. Checking the log, I found seven kills over the years after the 20th of May; so it can happen.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:11 PM
SS/Veteran

They have been over called and have learned to shut up. This is the same thing that is happening here. Season closed on Saturday the 20th here in Ma.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:58 PM

The birds are answering better now than they have all season. Last two days we have been getting answers. My wife had three come in to her calls but they were just a little too far. She thought it was about 60 or 70 yards so she didn't shoot. Running out of time with only until Saturday left.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Here is a current pic of the big boy I posted here before.
Wife has names for many of the locals, this guy she has named as Mr M.
Attached Images

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 05-18-2017, 03:04 PM

Nice! He would fit in my freezer.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:17 PM
SS/Veteran

Go figure: After scouting my areas for turkeys only to find one area but also came with a horde of hunters I decided that was for me and would call the season a wash. That said sitting here on my kitchen table with laptop today, six days after the season has closed a young tom walks through the yard, jumps up the stone wall and walks on his way. Of course my jaw dropped and took some time to recover. Nailed to my seat for the next hour waiting for his home flock to come by but they were a no show.

Nice to see at least one is still around. Next year or maybe in the fall I will have to make an appointment with him.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:29 PM

We had a lot of action this spring. I only got one jake of 13 pounds. My wife lost two birds because her scope had slipped zero and we found it 9 inches low at the range. It was a great season inspite of poor results. There were a lot of birds. Having turkey left overs tonight.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:01 PM

Many states raid dedicated fish and game funds believing it is a source of income. When Connecticut sought to double license fees a few seasons ago, license sales fell so badly they had to reduce the increase because they nearly lost their Opening Day of fishing season.

It is only proposed for Rhode Island and has not passed yet but sportsmen in that state will likely respond negatively as well. Remember, the SW license that everybody thought was a good idea will likely rise as well.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:36 PM

Our turkey shotguns are equipped with scopes. Reason for this is that they are meant to shoot very tight in order to produce a killing pattern on a very small target, the head. You could find yourself throwing a four inch pattern on a close in bird and miss. With a wide enough pattern pellet space could cripple but not kill; hence the scope. For some reason, probably the scope's age, my wife had her optics slip to shooting nine inches low and it cost her a bird. I just bought her a $220 Luepold 1-4 power variable.

Not to brag, but TO brag, I was the first, far as I know, writer to advocate a scope on a turkey gun in print. Now all the big magazines are doing it.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:39 PM
SS/Veteran

Electronic sights seem to be the way to go these days as seen on combat rifles also known as a red dot in its early days. The scope you chose has been a staple with me for years but in low light (dusk and dawn) they fall short compared to the new stuff.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:08 PM
SS/Veteran

Along with guaranteeing a reliable sighting device, the scope can act as a monocular for identifying birds. You don't want to spot distant turkeys and have them end up hens. For years we hunted deer and turkeys with open sights but there is no need to do that when a scope has such advantages. Of course if the frippin thing scrambles, like what happened to her, it becomes a mistake!
Old 07-31-2017, 11:46 AM
SS/Veteran

RI just cut a lot of deer season for the coming year, taking a week off of shotgun and another week off muzzleloader. Of course their deer law was liberal in the first place and is still more hunter friendly than the other nearby states.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:38 PM
SS/Veteran

Hunting out of state just comes down to finding a spot where you can get permission to hunt. Often where the deer or turkey are, owners protect there land like it was the holy grail. If you find one best to prize it and treat the owner like royality. Same with fishing access I would guess.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:58 PM
SS/Veteran

Rich, hunting out of state is not as bad as you think. State forests in both RI and CT are not devoid of shootable deer and turkeys as you might think. In nearby CT we meet the same guy every year and he is alone. Same in RI, with state forest that have an occasional hunter. Where then, are all the hunters? On private property belonging to family and friends. Interest in hunting is in decline. consequently, you can go as whole season without meeting another hunter. The hunting state that stinks is Massachusetts. Thank the liberals in Boston who think it is okay to smoke dope but not hunt on Sunday in Massachusetts which is why real hunters in Mass go out-of-state.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:39 PM
SS/Veteran

I would like to practice my turkey calling now in the summer instead during the season when the pressure is on. Can I expect and answer to my calls or is it a waste of time?