Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:45 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

Guns have been criminalized in our culture. The NRA is a republican outfit which has inspired a polarization of politics and gun use. That is why Hillary won in the east and Trump carried the west. I hate to say it but if you are a peaceful gun user you have no choice but to oppose Democratic candidates. I don't want to hunt with a bow and arrow.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:27 AM
SS/Veteran

Trail cameras are the rage these days, fun and exciting even if you do not hunt but just want to see what is out back in the dark. I won't even mention security who might be creeping around at night.

Easy to cut down a place you might want to take a stand during the season and just see what is out there. Nothing worse that getting up and getting out sitting on stand two hours later and wondering why I am here but if you have some photos in the pass you are way good for a longer time especially with a time stamp on the picture.

Even if you do not hunt it is a fun mini hobby for cheap money compared to others.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:03 PM
Administrator

I picked up a Trail cam few weeks ago. Wanting something with night vision was what inspired me to get one.
There is a learning curve trying to get not only good pictures but to avoid invalid shots because of shadows, tree movement, and cars going by in the street that can be seen between the house's.
I prefer the movies over the single shots.

Haven't really seen anything Deer wise that we don't see in daylight. But we have seen the coyotes, fox, raccoons and possums making there nightly trips around the yard.

What I have noticed is that several deer have walked up to it and smelled it.
I could see happening this if I was in the middle of a forest but these deer are are around homes, people, etc.. The smell of plastic should not be new to them.
Attached Images

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 10-02-2017, 03:06 PM
SS/Veteran

Everybody is using trail cams. They are fun and interesting. Our son captured a bobcat pix one night. They are expensive; they are commonly stolen. So you get a picture of sumpin, then what? My neighbor has one behind my shed. Once a month we put the pix up on the computer while drinking Scotch. Not too much ice as it waters down the Scotch.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:34 AM
SS/Veteran

The object of a trail camera for a hunter is to see where the deer travel and at one time of the day. Years ago if you did your walk out scouting finding a scrape or even a rub you did not know whether the deer came through in the middle of the night of not. Taking a stand during the day is like fishing a hot spot in the middle of the day--waste of time.

If you hunt on frequented land the deer travel with change during the shooting season and best to think where other hunters will be and push them toward you. Worked for me several times I might add.

Trail cameras are basic fun whether you hunt of not--simple fact. As far as expensive you can get set up with as little as $150 (camera, batteries, card). If you live in a high theft area you can go to secure cables, and other things but nothing beats having two cameras one covering the other. Camo the camera with plastic leaves glued on purchased from Walmart is another option. My little trick is with a sharpie mark the camera with say One of six, makes passer buys weave their heads around and around.
Don't tell anyone I have only two out there-Please. Fun stuff, playing with them.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:18 PM
SS/Veteran

I just can't get myself to do it. Having hunted so much of my life, I know just where we should be. We just have to wait. Check the wind and validate the sign. So many of our deer are shot right where we have shot them before. Deer learn to travel with their mothers who learned from their mothers. We also remember what we learned the year before when there was snow to point the way. We hunt for the shot because we don't miss many.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:27 PM
SS/Veteran

Rhode Island ruined their deer season. They cut the shotgun season in half to eight days, took two weeks off the archery season and dropped a special antlerless season. Talking with other hunters today at the club a lot of regulars are disappointed. All who bought licenses last spring to turkey hunt, assuming no change in deer regs, now are stuck with licenses they really can't use. (And you guys wonder why I am so anti-government.)
Old 10-09-2017, 10:29 AM
SS/Veteran

There is a reason why the seasons have been cut backed, perhaps the herd has grown smaller. Of course license sales will decline next year but that is a given. The question is why?
Old 10-09-2017, 01:57 PM
SS/Veteran

Rich, your remarks assume that these guys know something about wildlife management. Like Massachusetts, they do not have a clue. I am very active and I know a lot of local, RI sportsmen. These people are miffed about losing hunting. They already lack confidence in RI's ability to keep politics out of wildlife. Enforcement is a joke.

Two years ago my wife shot an 8-pt buck which was required to be reported in two different situations -- Northwest Coop and report kill card. When the season report came out it said no bucks were taken at Northwest Coop. What is with the official paid to count annual results? People see this stuff.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:34 PM
SS/Veteran

There has to be some reasoning behind cutting down on the season. They the powers do not just wake up in the morning and decide to cut back on the season hunting knowing the license sales thus revenue will fall back next year.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:22 AM
SS/Veteran

I agree, Rich. But what is the reason? They don't say anything to the licensees.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:47 AM
SS/Veteran

You have to adjust to the government employees time frame. They cannot total up deer kills per zones, take in the size of the herd, figured out I do not know and publish the results in quick time. Those figures would take months and months. You can read how our federal government might take a year to find out what is, what and where. They have time on their side.

For some reason I did a search regarding cutting back RI seasons and nothing appeared. Just the way it is these days and frankly sucks.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:27 AM
SS/Veteran

One problem with wildlife management is that it has been politesized. Its a soft, no pressure job with an early pension and doing things right is not a priority. Generations of hunters in Mass have sought to end no Sunday hunting and the officials won't touch it.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:54 PM
SS/Veteran

Any idea when the rut occurs, considering the weather this year here in Mass?.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:46 AM
SS/Veteran

https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...for-whitetail/

Hate to bring bad news to you Francis but this article just appeared in the American Hunter (NRA publication) after reading the best states to hunt deer this article just followed up on the three worst states. Check it out and it will explain why the hunting season in RI has been cut back.